Re: New here

  • Dawn
    Message 1 of 43 , Nov 21, 2007
      --- In Fantasy_Books@yahoogroups.com, Bill <bill501@...> wrote:

      > Both are very British and written in a ' high Victorian" style. If
      one is not used to this they can be hard to get into. Good practice
      is reading Dickens (great literature too ;-). )

      <snipped>

      > Bill

      I adore Dickens, but I have always taken a long time to read those
      books, too..... I have a very vivid and colorful imagination and can
      easily visualize from the written word.... Victorian writers, and
      those who wrote in that style, tend to be very heavy on description
      and I go into visualizing overdrive. So I take them slow. I start a
      4-day weekend after work today, so that'll be 4 days to really make a
      dent in the Peake...... may be enough to get me to a point where I'll
      actually finish!

      Dawn
    • robina_williams
      Message 43 of 43 , Nov 28, 2007
        --- In Fantasy_Books@yahoogroups.com, "Mervi" <mhamalainenenator@...>
        wrote:

        > It's likely in his new collection: Fragile Things.
        >
        > Mervi

        Thank you, Mervi. I seem to remember reading this story a couple of
        years ago, though, in an anthology containing other authors. Maybe it
        was a sort of all-purpose fantasy collection. Shadow nearly came to a
        sticky end but was saved by Grendel's mom, I think -- a favor returned.

        Robina ~ www.robinawilliams.com
        robinawilliams@...
        The quantum cat is back!
        Angelos, available now from Amazon.com