Greetings

  • SylvanArrow
    Message 1 of 31 , Sep 15, 2000
      Hail and well met, fellow fantasyophiles,

      I just subscribed to the list and thought I'd say hi. I run the R.A. Salvatore list on egroups so stop by if you're a fan. I'm hoping to find recommendations on new books to read. I'm an army grunt by day, a college student by night, and not a particularly fast reader so only tell me about the GOOD stuff. I'm picky, and usually drop something if it doesn't catch me in the first 20 pages or so. Unfortunately, that seems to apply to most of what I've picked up lately. Of course, I'm stationed in S. Korea right now and don't have a big selection. I get most of my books from Amazon.com or if I have a specific title in mind I can coerce my mother to haunt the used book stores for me back home.

      I experiment with the pen and quill now and again, but have no delusions of becoming a New York Bestselling author. Instead, I'm majoring in computer science, but the credits sure come slow when it's a part time affair!

      Here are a few of my favorite books to give you guys an idea of what I like:

      Raymond Feist - all of the Midkemia books
      Dave Duncan - Seventh Sword Trilogy
      R. A. Salvatore - Dark Elf Trilogy, Icewinddale Trilogy
      David Eddings - Elenium, Talumni
      Richard Adams - Watership Down
      Robin Hobb - Farseer Trilogy
      L. E. Modesitt - the first 5 or 6 Recluce books

      And here's the List o' Authors that Everyone Worships but I Can't Read without Dozing Off (I don't waste time bagging on them because everyone else loves them; I just thought I'd throw the list out there incase there's ONE other person in the world who agrees with me and wants to bond because of it, grin):

      Jordan
      Goodkind
      Moorcock
      McCaffrey

      There's a lot of other authors that lay in between, but don't keep me up late reading on work nights. Anyway, as I said at the beginning of this rambling introduction note, I'm always on the look out for new stuff to read so if you've read this far, throw out a few recommendations! Thanks!

      -[===SylvanArrow---
      ~*Faber est suae quisque fortunae*~
      FREE! The World's Best Email Address @...
    • William C. Garthright
      Message 31 of 31 , Dec 6, 2010
        > First, the price of books - maybe you should check out electronic books. They are far cheaper, especially if you stay away from the huge name authors.

        You know, Jenna, this is one reason I haven't had much interest in
        electronic books. They just seem way too expensive, to me. I've never
        thought the price difference was enough for me to give up paper books -
        not even close.

        But maybe, as you suggest, it's a matter that depends on the author.

        Bill

        http://garthright.blogspot.com/

        --
        Fear is the mother of all gods. - Lucretius