Re: [Fantasy_Books] fwd:

  • William C. Garthright
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 30, 2007
      > Just finished Patricia Bray's Sword of Change. I reviewed it at www.FantasyLiterature.net, but the bottom line is "don't bother."

      I really enjoyed the first volume, *Devlin's Luck*. I thought it was
      superb, and I couldn't wait for the sequel. (I didn't notice the
      language problems. Perhaps I should read it again.) Unfortunately,
      *Devlin's Honor* was very disappointing. Everything that made the first
      book so good was missing in the sequel. And after reading the reviews of
      the third in the series, *Devlin's Justice*, I didn't even buy it. It's
      so disappointing when I think that I've found a new author, but it turns
      out this way...

      He is not only dull himself, he is the cause of dullness in others. -
      Samuel Johnson
    • Maggi Heffler
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 30, 2007
        I went on a books store binge a few weeks ago, so I have been tearing through:

        Music To My Sorrow by Mercedes Lackey and Rosemary Edghill - This is the most recent of their books to feature Eric Banyon and was a great deal of fun. It also wraps up most of the threads from the last few books.

        The Machine's Child by Kage Baker - The is part of "The Company" series. Difficult to explain the concept, but a really good story filled with interesting characters and lots of machinations by people jockeying for power and trying to figure out who is behind which scheme. This is sci-fi not fantasy.

        Spellbinder by Melanie Rawn - I'm still in the middle of this one. It isn't part of a series (yet?), but like all of her other books, the world is well crafted and the characters are complex.

        Knights of the Blood by Scott MacMillan (created by Katherine Kurtz) - I bought this because I loved the Adept books, but I was disappointed in this. It was definitely a little gory for my taste and I just wasn't as interested in the story as I thought I would be.

        Cast in Secret by Michelle Sagara - Most recent book in the Chronicles of Elantra series. I enjoy this series. She has created an interesting world, not necessarily unique, but the stories are well told and the characters are easy to care about.

        Promises to Keep by Charles de Lint - A fun story about the early years of one of Newford's most beloved characters -- Jilly.

        Thursday Next: First Among Sequels by Jasper Fforde - I love his sense of whimsey. I didn't like the last Thursday Next book, I thought the author might have been getting bored with it, but this one brings back all the fun and charm of the first book.

        (I wasn't kidding when I said binge. <grin>) -- Maggi

        To: fantasy_books@yahoogroups.comFrom: bellecarolbethling@...: Fri, 28 Sep 2007 18:13:55 -0700Subject: [Fantasy_Books] fwd:

        what has everyone been reading? [Non-text portions of this message have been removed] what has everyone been reading? [Non-text portions of this message have been removed] [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]