Re: [Fantasy_Books] introduction

  • Richard Claypool
    Message 1 of 25 , May 11, 2007
      Hi,

      A warm welcome to the group.

      I enjoy readng a lot of fantasy and sf.

      I'm drinking so really don't feel like writing out a list. a very hard
      Friday.

      I'm going to sit back and reread downBelow Station. I've not read it since
      I was 13 or so.

      Rick

      Rick

      Message 2 of 25 , May 11, 2007
        Hi Beth good to see you here.

        Ah yes, Rick a few good drinks on a friday night sound superb. Would you all believe I've never read the Thomas Covenant series? Well going to remedy that and start it after Last Light of the Sun, yet I am so enthralled with G G Kay!

        Message 3 of 25 , May 12, 2007
          Donaldson and GGK are both high on my list. I am on a GGK run at the moment.
          I read Finovar then Lions and am now halfway thru Arbonne. Read Tigana and
          Sarantium a couple of years ago. All good. Have to say that at its best
          Covenant is better IMHO.
          > Ah yes, Rick a few good drinks on a friday night sound superb. Would you
          > all believe I've never read the Thomas Covenant series? Well going to
          > remedy that and start it after Last Light of the Sun, yet I am so
          > enthralled with G G Kay!

        • Katherine
          Message 4 of 25 , May 12, 2007
            Hi, I've just joined. My name's Katherine, 38, 5 young kids, I teach
            psychology and neuroscience courses at University of North Florida
            (part-time).

            I've recently finished Jacqueline Carey's first Kushiel triology --
            excellent. Now I'm working on Kate Elliot's Crown of Stars. Robin Hobb
            is a favorite, and now I'll put Jacqueline Carey up there, too. I
            started Thomas Covenant a few years ago, but I guess I didn't like him
            as a hero (or "anti-hero") -- he was so miserable and nasty -- I just
            didn't really care what happened to him. I also stopped reading George
            R.R. Martin because I didn't like that he kept killing his main
            characters, but I may try it again some day. Terry Goodkind's plots
            are interesting, and I love his characters, but I really can't stand
            his writing style and preachy tone. I do like Robert Jordan, but I
            didn't read his latest book -- I'm going to wait until he's finished
            and start it over again.

            I like to listen to audiobooks while driving and doing house chores,
            and I get those from my library, but I wish there were more fantasies
            made into audiobooks.

            Looking forward to hearing about what you all like. Writing style is
            really important to me, and deep characters that I like and care about.

            Katherine
          • Gloria
            Message 5 of 25 , May 12, 2007
              Welcome aboard, Beth!

              Gloria Oliver
              www.gloriaoliver.com
              Unveiling the Fantastic

              Message 6 of 25 , May 12, 2007
                Welcome aboard, Katherine!

                Gloria Oliver
                www.gloriaoliver.com
                Unveiling the Fantastic

[...]

              • cherokeegirl722000
                Message 7 of 25 , May 12, 2007
                  Hi Beth and Katherine!
                  My favorite authors are T.A. Barron, Obert Skye, Garth Nix, and many
                  more!
                  Welcome to the group yall!
                  :)
                  kara

                  --- In Fantasy_Books@yahoogroups.com, <bethreeder@...> wrote:

                  > hello: my name is beth. i love fantasy. some of my favorite authors
                  are maggie fury, lois mcmaster bujold, jack vance, poul anderson and
                  andre norton. i'm reading ombria in shadow by patricia a. mckillip.

                • Denise Frangos
                  Message 8 of 25 , May 12, 2007
                    I read Kate Elliot's Crown of Stars two times back to back. I loved
                    it- but then again I loved RR Martin too. Hope you enjoy Crown of
                    Stars. It got very complicated in some parts but still loved it.
                    Denise

                    --- In Fantasy_Books@yahoogroups.com, "Katherine" <kahooper@...>

                    Message 9 of 25 , May 12, 2007
                      > Hi, I've just joined. My name's Katherine, 38, 5 young kids, I teach
                      > psychology and neuroscience courses at University of North Florida
                      > (part-time).
                      >. I started Thomas Covenant a few years ago, but I guess I didn't like him
                      > as a hero (or "anti-hero") -- he was so miserable and nasty -- I just
                      > didn't really care what happened to him. I also stopped reading George
                      > R.R. Martin because I didn't like that he kept killing his main
                      > characters, but I may try it again some day.

                      I could not read Lord Foul's Bane for ages. I tried it a few times and kept
                      getting stuck. Then I read the second book - the Illearth War and was
                      hooked. It's not so much Covenant you like (or don't - as early on he
                      certainly made you want to kick him up the bum or shake some sense into
                      him). But the Land is an absolutely wonderful place and you really do feel
                      for characters like the giant Saltheart Foamfollower and Bannor, the
                      bloodguard and Lord Mhoram etc.

                      ASOIAF is my favourite series at present - I DO like the way major
                      characters keep getting killed off by Martin. No one is really safe. I also
                      like the way characters you start off hating gradually turn into characters
                      you develop a grudging respect for because you understand their
                      motivations.No one is really black or white.
                      Cheers, Peta
                    • Kim Rees / Kim Knox
                      Message 10 of 25 , May 13, 2007
                        Hi Katherine!

                        I read most of the Covenant books as a teenager - bored holiday with the
                        family, LOL - and I didn't take to Thomas Covenant at all. I should go back
                        and read it, to see my perspective on him has changed.

                        Has anyone done that? Gone back and read something they read years before?
                        I did it with the Belgariad... it wasn't pleasant ;-) Books I had devoured
                        in my late teens, I couldn't read again, not with the same enthusiasm,
                        anyway.

                        Kim ~ who should be writing, LOL

                        --------
                        *Kim Rees - Kim Knox
                        *PAST LIES & NIMUE'S PRICE
                        Out 10 April and 22 May from Samhain Publishing
                        www.kim-rees.co.uk / www.kim-knox.co.uk

                      • Mervi
                        Message 11 of 25 , May 13, 2007
                          Welcome to Beth and Katharine.

                          I've been lurking here for a while so I should just as well introduce
                          myself. I'm Mervi and I'm a freelance translator from Finland. I read
                          a lot more fantasy than science fiction. My favourite authors are Lois
                          McMaster Bujold, Neil Gaiman, Steven Brust and Jacqueline Carey. Right
                          now I'm reading Gaiman's Fragile Things. I read a lot of comics, too.

                          Mervi
                        • Gloria
                          Message 12 of 25 , May 13, 2007
                            Welcome, Mervi!

                            Gloria Oliver
                            www.gloriaoliver.com
                            Unveiling the Fantastic

                            Message 13 of 25 , May 14, 2007
                              > Donaldson and GGK are both high on my list. I am on a GGK run at
                              > the moment. I read Finovar then Lions and am now halfway thru
                              > Arbonne.

                              A definite uphill slope in terms of quality if you ask me (Arbonne
                              being far and away my favourite Kay book, whereas I almost gave up on
                              Fionavar after the horrible contrived setup).

                              > Have to say that at its best Covenant is better IMHO.

                              I loved Covenant too and never really got the "couldn't read it
                              because he's a bastard" criticism. That was the point, surely? :) Of
                              course, I was an impressionable moody teenager back then so maybe I
                              was just on the same wavelength - I'll have to give them another shot
                              sometime...

                              Just finished Pratchett's Thud! (one of the better Discworld novels
                              of recent years until the end, where it just seemed to unravel
                              pointlessly) and randomly picked up Ricardo Pinto's The Chosen. Not
                              far in yet, but definitely liking what I see.

                              - Leigh
                              Message 14 of 25 , May 14, 2007
                                > I loved Covenant too and never really got the "couldn't read it
                                > because he's a bastard" criticism. That was the point, surely? :) Of
                                > course, I was an impressionable moody teenager back then so maybe I
                                > was just on the same wavelength - I'll have to give them another shot
                                > sometime...

                                Have you read the first book of the third chronicles? I thought it was
                                wonderful. Very inventive. Can hardly wait for the next instalment as it
                                finished on a cliff-hanger.
                                Peta
                              • Katherine
                                Message 15 of 25 , May 15, 2007
                                  > I loved Covenant too and never really got the "couldn't read it
                                  > because he's a bastard" criticism. That was the point, surely? :)

                                  Oh, yes, I'm sure it was the point. I read that Donaldson's anti-hero
                                  concept was a reaction to Tolkien. But I think a big reason that
                                  fantasy is my favorite genre is that there are heroes who are
                                  admirable and likable and they usually win. Thomas Covenant is not
                                  likable, at least not in the first book. I might give it another try
                                  some day, though, for the beauty of the Land, not because I like TC.

                                  Katherine
                                • Leigh L.
                                  Message 16 of 25 , May 15, 2007
                                    > Have you read the first book of the third chronicles? I thought
                                    > it was wonderful. Very inventive. Can hardly wait for the next
                                    > instalment as it finished on a cliff-hanger.
                                    > Peta

                                    Haven't got to that one yet - I've already left so many trilogies and
                                    series hanging halfway through that I've completely lost track of who's
                                    who in most of them, so nowadays I try to wait until the whole series
                                    is out before making a start (especially as I get most of my books
                                    second-hand years after the fact, sorry authors)...

                                    I didn't realise Pinto's The Chosen was part of a series until I
                                    started reading it, but by the time I get through this one and The
                                    Standing Dead, the third part might actually be out. :)

                                    - Leigh
                                  • Katherine Hooper
                                    Message 17 of 25 , May 16, 2007
                                      I've started doing the same thing as Leigh does: waiting until the series is
                                      complete before starting it. There's so much else to read while I wait. I've
                                      got a long long list!

                                      Katherine

                                    • Shannon
                                      Message 18 of 25 , May 28, 2007
                                        I'm reading Crown of Stars myself, and have told people who are
                                        Martin fans that they'd like Elliot's style. But I haven't come
                                        across very many people who are familliar with that series, which is
                                        a shame because I'm enjoying it.

                                        Shannon

                                        --
                                        Does fuzzy logic tickle?
                                      • margaret mcgee
                                        Message 19 of 25 , May 29, 2007
                                          Hi#
                                          im also reading crown of stars. im on book 4 and have the others all set up
                                          to read. im really enjoying it at the moment. its unusual to have so many
                                          plot threads going at once.
                                          margaret

                                          >From: Shannon <shannon@...>
                                          >To: Fantasy_Books@yahoogroups.com
                                          >Subject: Re: [Fantasy_Books] Re: introduction
                                          >Date: Mon, 28 May 2007 18:08:28 -0500
                                          >
                                          >I'm reading Crown of Stars myself, and have told people who are
                                          >Martin fans that they'd like Elliot's style. But I haven't come
                                          >across very many people who are familliar with that series, which is
                                          >a shame because I'm enjoying it.
                                          >
                                          >Shannon
                                          >

                                          > >I read Kate Elliot's Crown of Stars two times back to back. I loved
                                          > >it- but then again I loved RR Martin too. Hope you enjoy Crown of
                                          > >Stars. It got very complicated in some parts but still loved it.
                                          > >Denise
                                          > >
                                          > >--- In
                                          > ><mailto:Fantasy_Books%40yahoogroups.com>Fantasy_Books@yahoogroups.com,
                                          > >"Katherine" <kahooper@...>
                                          > >wrote:
                                          > > >
                                          > > > Hi, I've just joined. My name's Katherine, 38, 5 young kids, I teach
                                          > > > psychology and neuroscience courses at University of North Florida
                                          > > > (part-time).
                                          > > >
                                          > > > I've recently finished Jacqueline Carey's first Kushiel triology --
                                          > > > excellent. Now I'm working on Kate Elliot's Crown of Stars. Robin
                                          > >Hobb
                                          > > > is a favorite, and now I'll put Jacqueline Carey up there, too. I
                                          > > > started Thomas Covenant a few years ago, but I guess I didn't like
                                          > >him
                                          > > > as a hero (or "anti-hero") -- he was so miserable and nasty -- I
                                          > >just
                                          > > > didn't really care what happened to him. I also stopped reading
                                          > >George
                                          > > > R.R. Martin because I didn't like that he kept killing his main
                                          > > > characters, but I may try it again some day. Terry Goodkind's plots
                                          > > > are interesting, and I love his characters, but I really can't stand
                                          > > > his writing style and preachy tone. I do like Robert Jordan, but I
                                          > > > didn't read his latest book -- I'm going to wait until he's finished
                                          > > > and start it over again.
                                          > > >
                                          > > > I like to listen to audiobooks while driving and doing house chores,
                                          > > > and I get those from my library, but I wish there were more
                                          > >fantasies
                                          > > > made into audiobooks.
                                          > > >
                                          > > > Looking forward to hearing about what you all like. Writing style is
                                          > > > really important to me, and deep characters that I like and care
                                          > >about.
                                          > > >
                                          > > > Katherine

                                          > >Checked by AVG Free Edition.
                                          > >5/13/2007 12:17 PM
                                          >
                                          >--
                                          >Does fuzzy logic tickle?

                                          Play your part in making history - Email Britain!
                                          http://www.emailbritain.co.uk/
                                        • Richard E. Linsley
                                          Message 20 of 25 , Aug 14, 2007
                                            Hiyas Beth!

                                            Welcome to the group!

                                            <http://www.rmvisions.com/richard.html> Rich Linsley, III

                                            _____

                                            Message 21 of 25 , Aug 14, 2007

                                            • gioliver@swbell.net
                                              Message 22 of 25 , Aug 15, 2007
                                                Welcome aboard, Beth!

                                                Gloria Oliver
                                                www.gloriaoliver.com
                                                Unveiling the Fantastic

                                                the wheel of time is is in the library for the blind i have read some of it. my name is beth. i don't remember introducing myself.

                                                <!--

                                                #ygrp-mlmsg * {line-height:1.22em;}
                                                #ygrp-text{
                                                font-family:Georgia;