8926Re: War of the Worlds

  • Marilyn Peake
    Jul 3, 2005
      Hi, Frank,

      Absolutely, and the movie lists a credit to the book. I felt,
      though, that the movie was developed, like the radio show, to
      communicate the story through the latest technology available. I
      found the following interesting statement at the link,
      http://www.war-ofthe-worlds.co.uk/index.html :
      "In essence however, those familiar with the book will find much to
      recognise in the script, though as I have long suspected from
      Spielberg's comments, this movie clearly owes as much to the Orson
      Welles broadcast as it does the original novel. Spielberg bought an
      original (and possibly only remaining copy) of the 1938 broadcast
      script and one wonders if the New Jersey locations were an
      intentional homage. Certainly the movie evokes the panic that Orson
      Welles achieved that Halloween night."

      Cheers,
      Marilyn

      ~~ Drink deeply by land or sea. Earth comes only once.~~
      From THE FISHERMAN'S SON Trilogy
      http://www.marilynpeake.com
      http://www.thefishermansson.com

      From PIERS ANTHONY, best-selling, award-winning science fiction and
      fantasy author:
      "Now I have read The Fisherman's Son. This is a nice children's
      fantasy, grounded in realism."

      From JAMES A. COX, Editor-in-Chief of the MIDWEST BOOK REVIEW:
      "The Fisherman's Son is a delightful and colorfully narrated tale
      which documents Marilyn Peake as a story teller of considerable
      narrative skill."

      --- In Fantasy_Books@yahoogroups.com, "Frank T" <XTONTOX@a...> wrote:

      >> It's actually based on a book bg H G Wells, the same book used as
      the basis for Orson Welles radio adaptation.
      >> FrankT
    • Show all 9 messages in this topic