8780Re: What should I read?!?

  • Shiloh
    Apr 1, 2005
      Kushiel's Dart is a good series. If you're not opposed to sci-fi,
      the Otherland books by Tad Williams are pretty good as well. Melanie
      Rawn's Dragon Prince and Dragon Star are my other recommendations,
      and they might be better because they're purely fantasy with no
      elves, but they do have dragons in them. Another series is Robert
      Jordan's Wheel of Time (first book is The Eye of the World), but it
      has a lot of action in it and it's really long--none of the books is
      under 700 pages.
      Just my thoughts, take or leave 'em.
      --- In Fantasy_Books@yahoogroups.com, "volkerthemadfiddler"

      <mashepardson@m...> wrote:

      > > I have been away from Fantasy for a long time, measured in
      decades
      > > not years, and I'm interested in getting back into it. I
      enjoyed the
      > > Lord of the Rings but I would like to avoid 'copycat' books with
      > > elves, dwarves, etc. I'm currently reading George R R Martin's
      > > series and LOVE IT! Unfortunately, I'll soon be through it :-(
      > >
      > > I prefer good writing, character development and plotting to
      sword &
      > > sorcery action. Actually, the action tends to turn me off but I
      love
      > > suspense.
      > >
      > > I've been lurking for a while and I'm tempted by Kushiel's Dart
      but I
      > > decided I'd take suggestions before I embark on another mammoth
      > > series.
      > >
      > You could try Tad William's "Memory, Sorrow and Thorne"- the first
      > book is called "The Dragonbone Chair" IIRC.
      >
      > Volker the Mad Fiddler [aka Garett Kutcher]
    • Show all 26 messages in this topic