11518"Oath of Fealty" by Elizabeth Moon

  • William C. Garthright
    Jun 20, 2010
      I just finished "Oath of Fealty" by Elizabeth Moon, her new sequel to
      "The Deed of Paksenarrion" trilogy first published more than two decades
      ago (not to be confused with the 1981 SF novel by Larry Niven and Jerry
      Pournelle, which has the same title).

      In general, I loved the book, but it's just the first part of a longer
      story (multiple stories, rather). The book just... ends, without any
      attempt to come to any temporary conclusion. Although the book starts
      where "Oath of Gold" left off, Paksenarrion is just a minor character in
      "Oath of Fealty." There are a number of characters in different story
      threads, instead. (I like that, myself.)

      If you want more details, here's my blog post:

      http://garthright.blogspot.com/2010/06/oath-of-fealty-by-elizabeth-moon.html

      FYI, last week I also posted comments about "Saltation" by Sharon Lee
      and Steve Miller, part of their Liaden Universe series and sequel to
      "Fledgling":

      http://garthright.blogspot.com/2010/06/saltation-by-sharon-lee-steve-miller.html

      It's science fiction (space opera), rather than fantasy, but I suspect
      that this series is popular with fantasy fans. And since the Liaden
      Universe is full of psi powers, it's arguably fantasy, anyway, I guess.

      There's been very little posting here in recent months. Is no one
      reading anything? I must admit that I haven't been reading much myself
      lately, but I thought I'd mention these two.

      Bill

      http://garthright.blogspot.com/

      --
      Last fall, our financial system stood on the brink of a collapse that
      threatened a depression. The crisis required our government to display