"I have nothing else to do."

  • TomBryer
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 1, 2002
      Happy New Year to my friends in the IRV movement. If somebody asks me
      why it is I am looking to run for the House of Delegates I answer,
      "To create an all-partisan spirit in Maryland. I want to see an
      empowered voter living in an environment with strong communities,
      public participation in the policy-making process, and open choice in
      the electoral process."

      When one of the three Charles County incumbents is asked this
      question, Samuel "Buddy" Linton (Democrat), who is 78 years old and
      is nearing the end of his sixth termm says: "I have nothing else to
      do."

      Though I understand what he is saying--he has been a delegate for 24
      years and knows nothing else at this point--this "about me and not
      the people" attitude is typical of the two-party system. The two
      parties, or one party in Maryland, is out to protect itself above
      all else. It is time for a new kind of democracy, and a new kind of
      public participation in Maryland.

      Wherever it is you live, consider running for office this year.
      Charles County needs some new energy in our Annapolis delegation, and
      our County Commission is in much need of new hope and fresh ideas.
      St. Mary's I understand is much the same. Stand up for what you
      believe, and help create the all-partisan spirit in Maryland.

      Best of Luck in 2002!

      Cheers,
      Thomas Bryer

      http://www.reformamericainc.org/