urgent - rid Montgomery Co. of punchcards

  • Cvderic@aol.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 27, 2001
      For those of you in Montgomery County, please let your County Council know
      (preferably by this Friday, 11/30) that you strongly urge them to get rid of
      punchcard voting and acquire new, modern electronic voting machines for the
      County, especially now that the State is willing to fund half the cost of the
      upgrade. (We are focusing on Montgomery County now, but we will also be
      looking at Prince George's shortly, they haven't looked at the issue yet, to
      my knowledge).

      For supporters of alternative voting methods like instant runoff voting and
      forms of proportional representation, this is a great opportunity to acquire
      voting machines that will be able to accomodate these voting methods. In
      addtion to their other flaws, punchcards aren't able to handle ranked ballots.

      You may reach your county councilmembers at the general phone number:
      240-777-7900; or at the generic e-mail address: county.council@....

      Below are the members of the county council:

      Steve Silverman (at-large)
      Blair G. Ewing (at-large)
      Isiah Leggett (at-large)
      Michael L. Subin (at-large)
      Howard A. Denis (District 1)
      Nancy Dacek (District 2)
      Phil Andrews (District 3)
      Marilyn J. Praisner (District 4)
      Derick P. Berlage (District 5)

      Below are talking points about the advantages of new, electronic voting
      equipment, and below that is a proposed statement in support of new
      electronic voting equipment, which might provide you with more information on
      the issue.

      Please let me know if you have any questions about this issue. See talking
      points below. Thank you.

      Sincerely,
      Eric Olson

      Deputy Director
      The Center for Voting and Democracy
      6930 Carroll Ave.
      Takoma Park, MD 20912
      cvderic@...
      www.fairvote.org

      Talking points:
      Electronic voting machines for Montgomery County

      Background
      The state legislature passed a bill last session authorizing a state match of
      50% for new, electronic voting machines in Montgomery, Prince George's,
      Allegany, and Dorchester Counties.

      The Governor and the Secretary of State are ready to give this money to
      Montgomery County, they simply need support from the County Councilmembers
      and leadership by the December 12 meeting of the Public Works Board in order
      to allocate this money.

      Why Change?

      · Montgomery County currently uses punchcard voting, which is an outmoded
      election method. It costs hundreds of thousands of dollars simply to print
      ballots for state and federal election cycles - which is a cost that would be
      greatly reduced with an electronic system.

      · In large part, because of the punchcard voting, Montgomery County had
      2,862 "no votes" for president last year - this represents 28% of the people
      in the state who didn't vote for president. Similarly, in the 2000 election,
      Montgomery County had 2,565 "overvotes" which invalidated their ballots; this
      represents 65% of the state's overvotes. In population, Montgomery County
      represents only 18% of the state's population.

      · Electronic voting machines are a proven method of reducing voter error
      and greatly reducing the thousands of votes that are wasted in Montgomery
      County in elections here.

      · Electronic voting machines allow disabled voters to cast secret ballots
      on their own, which punchcards do not.

      · This is a forward-looking county, which should be using the best voting
      technology possible.

      · We do not want a mini-Florida situation to taint Montgomery County during
      the 2002 election, where there may be close races for Congress, County
      Executive, State Senate, State House of Delegates, etc.

      · Electronic voting machines are easy to use, even for those that don't
      have computers at home, they are similar to ATM machines and other things
      that surround us everyday.

      · Montgomery County is a diverse jurisdiction and electronic voting
      machines are able to easily accommodate language minorities - voters may
      choose from up to 9 languages. This will make many citizens more comfortable
      with the voting process.

      · There is a good chance that federal money will be available to
      jurisdictions like Montgomery in the near future to help reimburse the county
      for a significant portion of the cost of their purchase (on top of the state
      picking up 50% of the cost).

      *********
      Montgomery County has the opportunity to vastly improve its election system
      by taking advantage of a state grant to acquire electronic voting equipment
      and eliminate punchcards from the county forever. We urge the Montgomery
      County Council to acquire new, electronic voting machines that will provide
      efficient, effective, and inclusive voting technology for its citizens.

      While Montgomery County's Datavote election system is different from the
      punchcard system used in Florida, Montgomery's system nonetheless wastes
      thousands of votes, largely due to outmoded punchcard voting.

      In the 2000 presidential election, there were 2,862 "no votes" for president
      in Montgomery County, which represents 28 percent of the "no votes" in the
      state. Also in the 2000 election, 65 percent of the state's "overvotes"
      occurred in Montgomery County, despite the fact that Montgomery's population
      is only 18 percent of the state.

      The best electronic voting machines are vastly superior to punchcards in
      minimizing voter error, in accommodating voters whose primary language may
      not be English, and in allowing disabled voters to cast a secret ballot on
      their own.

      Electronic voting machines will save hundreds of thousands of dollars in
      printing ballots each state and federal election cycle, and are flexible
      enough to upgrade with improvements in voting technology.

      Electronic voting machines are used in jurisdictions across the country with
      great success. We support Montgomery County upgrading its voting equipment
      in time for the 2002 elections, particularly with a 50 percent state match
      and the probability that at least some federal money will be released to help
      offset the cost of local jurisdictions that are replacing punchcard systems
      with new, electronic voting machines.
    • ryanpoc@hotmail.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 29, 2001
        Is this conversation dealing with a new initiation of an electric
        elections voting system throughout all of marylnad? I've heard about
        it but was unsure what is going on. Can someone please give me a
        brief summary as to what the decisions are etc.?

        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 4, 2001
          Sorry I didn't write back sooner, we've been busy over the last few days
          moving our office to another floor in our building (CVD is now on the 6th
          floor, not the 9th floor).

          Briefly, the state of Maryland passed a bill last session that would put the
          entire state on a uniform voting system by 2006. This year's changes would
          represent in Montgomery, Prince George's, Dorchester and Allegany Counties,
          the first phase. Some election officials and other officials in Montgomery
          especially are concerned about implementation time and cost and may not favor
          going to an electronic system for 2002. Frankly, I'm hearing this could lead
          to a lawsuit.

          At any rate, now it's pretty much in the hands of the County Council, County
          Executive, and the Governor...

          I will be out of email touch over the remainder of the week in case anyone
          doesn't hear back from me.

          Thanks-
          Eric

          Subj: [FairVoteMD] Re: urgent - rid Montgomery Co. of punchcards
          Date: 11/29/01 6:29:42 PM Pacific Standard Time
          From: ryanpoc@...
          To: FairVoteMD@yahoogroups.com

> [...]

          > not be English, and in allowing disabled voters to cast a secret
          ballot on
          > their own.
          >
          > Electronic voting machines will save hundreds of thousands of
          dollars in
          > printing ballots each state and federal election cycle, and are
          flexible
          > enough to upgrade with improvements in voting technology.
          >
          > Electronic voting machines are used in jurisdictions across the
          country with
          > great success. We support Montgomery County upgrading its voting
          equipment
          > in time for the 2002 elections, particularly with a 50 percent
          state match
          > and the probability that at least some federal money will be
          released to help
          > offset the cost of local jurisdictions that are replacing punchcard

          To subscribe, if this has been forwarded to you, send an email to:
          FairvoteMD-subscribe@egroups.com

          Also see the Center for Voting and Democracy's website, www.fairvote.org for
          more information about instant runoff voting and other electoral reforms.