Make Election Day a National Holiday

  • Tim Chng
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 8, 2006
      Celebrate Our Democracy: Election Day as a National Holiday!

      Working people should not be forced to choose between standing in a
      long line to vote and being at work on time. While 30 states have laws
      giving workers the right to take time off to vote, many workers and
      employers are unaware of these laws. Holding national elections on a
      national holiday will increase the number of available poll workers
      and polling places and potentially increase overall turnout while
      making it much easier for working Americans to go to the polls.

      Election Day is already a holiday in Puerto Rico in presidential
      election years, and many Puerto Ricans celebrate and make Election Day
      a fun and festive party with a purpose. In 2000, Puerto Rico's voter
      turnout was 82.6%, as compared to 51.6% in the United States -- and
      Puerto Rico doesn't even have any Electoral College votes.

      How can we build a grassroots movement to create another national
      holiday? This should be an issue which all political ideologies in
      America can embrace.