Re: Shadow Photons -- Issues

  • Brian Scurfield
    Message 1 of 61 , Feb 1, 2004
      From: WillBBlake@a...
      Date: Sun Feb 1, 2004 4:26 am

      > I tentatively suggest that FoR (or MWI; I haven't read much of
      > other people's accounts) may err in attempting to describe
      > interference as a multiverse phenomenon. Perhaps the correct use of
      > the multiverse is only for subsequent measurement and decoherence.
      > By this I don't mean to suggest the need for an observer; just
      > that, starting from some initial conditions in our universe, the
      > wave function exists in our single universe and shows interference
      > and other QM behaviour. Then, when decoherence occurs along with
      > some measurement, branching into a set of new and non-interfering
      > universes takes place. If this view is correct, the multiverse is a
      > description of the separation of the different universes into the
      > various possibilities following a measurement while the wave
      > function in a single universe describes interference before the
      > measurement.

      If I understand you correctly, your difficulty is essentially the
      problem of the preferred basis in Quantum Mechanics. That is, our
      description of a universe is dependent on a measurement basis, but
      the theory does not single out any basis as special. For a discussion
      of this problem see

      http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/qm-manyworlds/#6.2

      Also, have you heard of the Many Minds Interpretation of Quantum
      Mechanics, where the problem of the preferred basis (allegedly) does
      not arise. See, for example,

      http://www.ibiblio.org/weidai/Many_Minds.pdf

      Cheers,
      Brian
    • Bruno Marchal
      Message 61 of 61 , Feb 16, 2004
        At 13:50 10/02/04 +0100, I wrote:
        >...<snip> Some work has been done
        >explaining why position is naturally favoured by "macroscopic" memory
        >machine (see the book by Joos, Kiefer & Al.) on decoherence which contains
        >references around this and similar question).

        Here is the precise reference of the book I did mentionned
        above. I would like to insist because that book shed
        light on many points which have been discussed here.
        I am interested in any comment on that book, which I
        find quite interesting.
        E. JOOS, H.D. ZEH, C. KIEFER, D.GIULINI, J. KUPSCH,
        I.O. STAMATESCU Decoherence and the Appearance
        of a classical World in Quantum Theory (second edition),
        Springer, 2003. (first publ: 1996).

        Bruno