Re: MWI & Poper

  • David Deutsch
    Message 1 of 28 , Jan 1, 2004
      On 30 Dec 2003, at 2:48 pm, Gary Oberbrunner wrote:

      > Henry Sturman wrote:
      >
      >>> And in addition, MWI makes predictions which other QM theories
      >>> don't, eg.
      >>> the theoretical possibility of factoring large numbers in polynomial
      >>> time.
      >>

      >> Untrue. All interpretations of QM make this prediction.
      >
      > Really? Where is all the computation done in CI?

      In the CI this question is deemed meaningless.

      One is forbidden to ask it. As for predictions, the CI does indeed make
      the same prediction as quantum theory for the possibility of factoring
      large numbers in polynomial time, and every other quantum computation
      that is not itself an "observer". When it is, the CI becomes
      self-contradictory, and so presumably in that class of situations one
      is forbidden to ask even about the theory's predictions.

      Neils Bohr is supposed to have said "If quantum mechanics hasn't
      profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet." I agree, but I
      would add that if you do not hold the Copenhagen 'interpretation' in
      absolute contempt, then you haven't understood it yet.

      -- David Deutsch