Re: Fuzzy Will

  • scerir
    Message 1 of 148 , Nov 1, 2003
      > From the point of view of working neuroscientists, I suspect that
      > simply trying to understand the determinants of behavior is "Job
      > One". Eventually, the notion of free will will be embedded in the
      > context defined by scientific research. Perhaps the conclusion will
      > be "Fuzzy Will" rather than "Free Will"
      > Reilly Atkinson

      Yes. I did not follow the thread but when I read "free will"
      firstly I do not understand the term "will", then I'm
      confused by the term "free". Which, imo, just means that
      the "will" is physically "separable", and not entangled
      with events which may be remote. Now in a world which seems
      to be non deterministic there are strange situations.
      A roulette wheel is spun by Carlos. Alice bets on the number six.
      Bob is sitting far away and raises his hand while the roulette
      is spinning. The number zero comes up. Alice thinks that Bob's
      hand and the number zero have something in common.
      Of course this example is completely physical (roulette
      wheel, hand raising, etc.).
      s.
    • Charles Goodwin
      Message 148 of 148 , Nov 20, 2003
        From: "Casey Hawthorne" <caseyh@...>

        > >Demonstrably untrue. You are composed of atoms that obey well understood
        > >laws of physics. They do not obey laws of chance.
        >
        > What happened to quantum probabilities?

        They don't exist in the MWI; they only appear to exist when viewed from the
        "frog perspective" of someone embedded in the universal wave function,
        rather than the "bird perspective" described by the equations.

        Charles