Re: Information Paradigm

  • Robin Green
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 1, 2001
      Stephen Paul King <stephenk1@...> wrote:
      > I have been following this discussion for a while and have been
      >studying the notion that there is a computational aspect to physics. I
      >have a few questions. Is it necessarily so that a single "Great
      >Automata" exists or could there be many interacting "automata?"

      Whether you describe an automata as a single entity or a collection of
      interacting automata, or both, is just a matter of human interpretation
      (well, at least down to a certain level of simplicity, otherwise you would
      have an infinite regress). It's not an inherent property of the system.

      For example, a computer can be considered as a single device or a collection
      of interacting devices. Neither interpretation is wrong. The fact that a
      component like a sound chip doesn't do much when removed from its "habitat"
      (a printed circuit board) is irrelevant.

      >Are
      >qualia the output of a single computation such that, by implication,
      >only a single "reality" construct or could it be that the experiences
      >that observers have, our selves being a case of which, are outputs of
      >distinct computations?

      Again, this contrast between "single computation" and "distinct
      computations" is a matter of human interpretation, not a physical question.
      The applications running on your computer may have little connection (other
      than receiving this email) with the applications running on mine, but on the
      computationalist view it is perfectly reasonable to regard them both as tiny
      parts of the Universal Computation.