Re: EEG brain trace 'can detect autism'

  • Elliot Temple
    Message 1 of 60 , Jun 30, 2012
      On Jun 30, 2012, at 3:19 PM, a b wrote:

      > Hi Henry - Communicating between world views is often difficult and
      > may be experienced as frustrating/dogma/ignorance in all directions. I
      > still read FoR because I'm still interested in the
      > popperian/deutschian way of thinking. However, I find that these days
      > I'm more at the stage of being interested by any ongoing personal
      > development exhibited by popperian/deutschian individuals. That is an
      > important measure of something...I feel. Whether and how people
      > develop. For me personally that includes how people advance in terms
      > of, say, how they interact with, inspire, draw out, negotiate with,
      > and so on, other people.
      > All progress is a measure of how valuable the philosophy is.
      > Someone like Rami for example. I'm not clear how new he is to the
      > philosophy itself, but he seems to be going through his own little
      > enlightenment of personal discovery. Where will it lead? That's
      > interesting. Elliot appears to have evolved somewhat in how he manages
      > other people. I was interested by his comments regarding the
      > distinctions between [Derren Brown] and Richard Dawkins.

      Could you clarify what you mean a bit?

      It just so happens that I formed that opinion about Derren Brown and Richard Dawkins several years ago. I recently repeated it but that wasn't new for me now (and a lot of the the pieces of that view actually predate my watching the video where they interacted). So whatever it looked like to you, I guess that won't be 100% accurate (not a surprise or big deal), and the non-perfect fit makes it harder for me to figure out the gist of what you meant (hence my request for clarification).

      -- Elliot Temple
      http://elliottemple.com/
    • Elliot Temple
      Message 60 of 60 , Jul 6, 2012
        On Jul 6, 2012, at 9:11 AM, smitra@... wrote:

        > Citeren Elliot Temple <curi@...>:

        >>> No, I know that I'm not well informed. Answering your question about
        >>> comparing DD's MWI vs. Szasz ideas would not be helpful because of my
        >>> background (my knowledge about medicine/psychiatry is almost zero
        >>> compared to what I know about physics).
        >>>
        >>> Now, you haven't explained Szasz ideas here either, nothing I read on
        >>> this lists reads more than ill informed exaggerations. Just because one
        >>> can argue about Asperger's syndrome, doesn't by itself imply that the
        >>> whole field of psychiatry is fundamentally flawed. And I don't mean in
        >>> the sense of the methods of diagnosis being weak with a lot of room for
        >>> subjective judgements, rather that (almost) everything they consider to
        >>> be a disease not actually being a disease, but some deviation from a
        >>> social rule they've invented.
        >>
        >> If you want an explanation of a particular point, the thing to do is
        >> read about it or ask. Complaining I haven't answered questions that
        >> you haven't asked is a bit ridiculous.
        >>
        >> I have explained quite a bit about Szasz and psychiatry if you search
        >> the archives. More on BoI list I believe.
        >>

        >> I still don't understand the point of reading just enough Szasz to
        >> completely misunderstand him and stopping there.
        >>
        >> -- Elliot Temple
        >> http://fallibleideas.com/
        >
        > I don't think I've misunderstood him. It is simlar to reading what Woit
        > has to say about string theory. Some lesser expert in mathematical
        > physics than him may not properly understand all of his arguments, but
        > still get the correct picture that he is exaggerating and
        > oversimplifying things.

        I've read 20 of his books. If you want to spout stuff that's *not even slightly close to his positions* and then completely ignored his informed supporters who tell you that you've haven't got what he's about ... that's very silly.

        -- Elliot Temple
        http://fallibleideas.com/