Re: Theory of Minds and Inborn Personalities

  • gwathorn
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 31, 2007
      There are at least 5 different aspects to the idea of the irrational.

      How does the mind:
      1) develop a conceptional framework based on sensory information.
      (eg. what is a python)
      2) arrive at the idea of "being rational" (eg. its rational to expect
      that 2+2=4 for integers)
      3) associate one conceptional framework with another (eg. fear &
      python)
      4) develop & maintain instinctual aversion/attachment to
      situations/objects. (eg. withdrawing a hand from fire)
      5) maintain/develop instincts, feelings, intuition & reason. (eg.
      reason based on observation & intuition about which reasoning to
      apply)

      That said what problems are there for presuming universal tranfering
      of knowledge that is reasonable
      (autism & other people knowing their actions) or (everyone "should"
      fear snakes) or (we all fear cobras)

      Is a subtler form of this irrationality applicable to all people
      given our own subject/object dualities (eg. my mind and your mind).

      Lyndon.

      > Irrational in the sense that many people are afraid of a perfectly
      > harmless python, even when they know the snake is harmless.
      Irrational