Re: Darwin and Deutch were both wrong

  • Capital Office
    Message 1 of 67 , May 1, 2001
      Ian Hill wrote:

      >And Dawkins is right. Nothing you have mentioned undermines Darwinism.

      I suppose it depends on what you mean when you use the term "Darwinism". Do
      you mean the theory of Charles Darwin? Do you mean neo-Darwinian theories?
      Do you mean the Dawkin's version of Darwin? Do you mean evolutionary
      "philosophy" ?

      The notion of "evolution" is not scientific. It is a philosophical concept.
      If you want something scientific, you have to explain the *mechanisms* that
      make it work. As the actual mechanisms are now being seriously questioned,
      you can't say that Darwin or Dawkins have *not* been undermined.

      Karl
    • Paul Zielinski
      Message 67 of 67 , May 9, 2001
        Charles,

        Perhaps you would like to do some reading?

        I'll let Goldschmidt speak for himself:

        "The Material Basis of Evolution" (1940) -- if you can get a copy;
        "Evolution, As Viewed by One Geneticist," American Scientist (January 1952)

        Also, if you do a web search on "Goldschmidt" AND "fruitflies" you
        will dredge up all kinds of material on this subject, some of it quite solid.

        Z.