Re: does determinism follow from special relativity?

  • Peter D Jones
    Message 1 of 134 , Oct 31, 2006
      --- In Fabric-of-Reality@yahoogroups.com, "Charles Goodwin"
      <charlesgoodwin@...> wrote:

      > [mailto:Fabric-of-Reality@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Peter D Jones
      >
      > >> Why? The "WF appears to collapse" can be explained by using first
      > >> person indeterminacy during self-superposition.
      > >
      > > It's an additional assumption that we can't see superpositions.
      >
      > How come? I thought it was reasonably obvious that we can't (or
      > don't)......or is it???

      It is obvious that we don't.
    • Alan Forrester
      Message 134 of 134 , Nov 11, 2006
        --- Dave Wave <empiricism101@...> wrote:

        > > In a word, No. Ever read about the Quantum Zeno
        > > Effect?
        > >
        > > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_Zeno_effect
        > >
        > > Could it be that Nature in its dynamics has a
        > > simple rule that any new
        > > state can not be contradictory to those states that
        > > preseeded it?
        >
        > of course. I say it must, since objects maintain
        > consistency.
        >
        > But this then tosses Heisenberg's principle of
        > uncertainty out the window. There's no possibility
        > that a block of wood will turn into a diamond, so
        > there must not be any uncertainty in the wood block's
        > quantum particles.

        The uncertainty principle (UP) is a consequence of quantum physics. Quantum
        physics states that physical reality is much larger than the world we see
        around us and contains, among other things, many parallel universes each of
        which approximately obey the laws of classical physics: this larger reality
        is called the multiverse. The existence of the multiverse isn't just a
        theoretical fancy though. there are experiments called single particle
        interference experiments in which the results of experiments on a particle
        can only be explained if it went down many different paths simultaneously,
        see Fabric of Reality Chapter 2.

        In most experiments there are many different possible outcomes each of
        which happens in some universe after the experiment. Quantum physics makes
        predictions about the probability of each of the outcomes. A block of wood
        turning into diamond has very low probability according to quantum physics.
        So quantum physics including the UP predicts that it is irrational to
        expect a block of wood to turn into a diamond and lo and behold, the real
        world conforms to this prediction.

        Alan

        http://uk.docs.yahoo.com/nowyoucan.html