25586Re: Examples of Major Disjoints between PopperDeutsch and Science

  • hibbsa
    Aug 31, 2013
      --- In Fabric-of-Reality@yahoogroups.com, Gary Oberbrunner <garyo@...> wrote:

      > On Fri, Aug 30, 2013 at 10:43 PM, hibbsa <hibbsa@...> wrote:
      >
      > > Why do you believe that QM strangeness and the 'big bang' event, are
      > > definitely NOT different faces of the same hidden explanation, such that
      > > neither one can be answered in isolation of the other, but can only be
      > > explained both together.
      > >
      > > I'm playing a little, but it is reasonable enough to associate your
      > > acceptance of MWI with an implicit rejection of the
      > > QM-and-Big-Bang-together approach.
      > >

      > I must have missed something. What is this about QM (MWI or not)
      > "rejecting" some explanations of the Big Bang? String theory? LQG?
      >
      > (And by the way, at the risk of repeating myself, MWI takes pretty much all
      > the strangeness out of QM - in exchange for the idea that the world is much
      > bigger than we thought.)
      >
      > --
      > Gary

      Hi Gary - over the last few posts I sort of covered the main bases necessary - I think - for the points to Brett to be comprehensible. It is very difficult though, communicating across large divides. I mean, what I am saying is very self-evident, and I have even read over a couple of recent posts, and the truth is, I they are an acceptable standard.

      The problem though, is that you and I have very different 'background conceptual framorks'. I think these background concepts are really important not just in shaping how we think, but also in shaping what we can think. If there's no conceptual support in our heads able to support that next thought, then that next thought probably doesn't get thought.

      So, over in your head, your brain has been playing with MWI for years and all these concepts have steadily back to neaar the periphery of your consciousness. MWI feels like second nature to you...your brain strongly supportes that stance from me. It isn't all that likely from my perspective I will ever be driving your car again.
    • Show all 13 messages in this topic