Registration is open: 4th Annual TransOhio Transgender & Ally Symposium

  • TransOhio
    Message 1 of 2 , May 24, 2011

      transohio@...

      www.transohio.org

      Registration is now open for the 4th Annual TransOhio Transgender & Ally Symposium!

      Symposium Workshops Now Online!

      Our Keynote Presenter: Ignacio Rivera
      Ignacio Rivera aka Papí Coxxx is a gender queer Trans-Former born and raised in Brooklyn, NY. Ignacio who prefers the gender-neutral pronoun “they”, is a performance artist, currently performing skits, spoken word, one-person shows and story-telling internationally. Ignacio is a lecturer, activist, new filmmaker and self-proclaimed sex educator.

      Ignacio is the founder of Poly Patao Productions. P3 is dedicated to producing sex-positive workshops, performance pieces, films, play parties, panel discussions, social/political groups and educational opportunities that are specially geared toward queer women, transgender, multi-gender, gender-queer, gender non-conforming and gender variant people of color.

      Ignacio is also one of the founding board members of Queers for Economic Justice, a progressive non-profit organization committed to promoting economic justice in a context of sexual and gender liberation.

      Meet a few of Our Presenters and Workshops

      Dr. Sherman Leis of The Philadelphia Center for Transgender Surgery will present the following workshops:
      MTF Top and Bottom Surgery: How It’s Done at The Philadelphia Center for Transgender Surgery
      FFS: Options and Results
      FTM Top and Bottom Surgery

      Dr. Daniel Medalie of Cleveland Plastic Surgery will present:
      Surgical Options for Transgender Patients

      Doing It Alone: Transitioning Without Hormones
      presented by Jess Easton
      Do you feel that someone can only transition with the use of Hormones? Do you feel or have you been pressured to take hormones? Do you wish there was a way to get the results that you want without using hormones? Doing It Alone is a facilitated discussion about the alternatives to using hormones during transition. We will discuss why some individuals choose not to use hormones, alternatives methods to hormones to consider, understand if and when hormones are for you, and personal stories of transitioning without hormones. We hope to have a conversation with like-minded individuals about how hormones dictate our transitions and how we can work together to find some freedom from them.

      Being a Good Ally
      presented by Nelli LaValle
      Within the trans community, being a good ally is one of the most important assets. An ally can be anyone from within the community or affiliated with it. With the pressures, personal, political and institutional, that exist in society often make it difficult. This will be an opportunity to discuss why being a ally is important and also ways in which we can be a stronger community.

      GenderQueer / Gender Non-Conforming Identities Discussion
      presented by JAC Stringer
      Genderqueer and gender non-conforming identities make up a growing percentage of the transgender community. This workshop, lead by a panel of representatives from the spectrum of genderqueer identities, will host a discussion about the complexities of genderqueer and gender non-conforming identities, the language we use, the experiences we have, and the bonds we build within the transgender community and beyond. All are welcome.

      Navigating Transphobia in the Health Care Industry
      presented by Ariel Baumwell
      You enter a health care provider’s office and the first word out of his, her, or hir’s mouth is the wrong pronoun or your old name or both. The provider is continually misgendering you. Maybe you tense up and are unsure of how to get the health care provider to stop misgendering you. Maybe this makes you angry and you are trying really hard not to yell at them. Either way, you want them to stop misgendering you. Now what? Navigating Transphobia in the Health Care Industry is workshop which will look at some of the common incidences of transphobia within the health care setting particularly at the provider level and the many strategies in which people can respond. This workshop is designed to give people options and help people feel empowered when encountering transphobia. The workshop will examine the institutional causes of transphobia and trans erasure in health care.

      Symposium Caucuses Include:

      POC
      Genderqueer
      Trans Masculine
      Trans Feminine
      Youth
      Non-Transitioning
      Allies
      Partners
      And More!

      For a full list of workshops and presenter bios, info about weekend events, registration, volunteering, scholarships and more, visit transohio.wordpress.com!

      Copyright © 2011 TransOhio

      This message was sent to FTM-I_Ohio@yahoogroups.com from:

      TransOhio .Org | 1160 North High Street | Columbus, OH 43201

      Manage Your Subscription  |  Forward To a Friend
    • TransOhio
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 10, 2011

        transohio@...

        www.transohio.org

        Registration is now open for the 4th Annual TransOhio Transgender & Ally Symposium!

        Symposium Workshops Now Online! Registration is Open!

        Our Keynote Presenter: Ignacio Rivera
        Ignacio Rivera aka Papí Coxxx is a gender queer Trans-Former born and raised in Brooklyn, NY. Ignacio who prefers the gender-neutral pronoun “they”, is a performance artist, currently performing skits, spoken word, one-person shows and story-telling internationally. Ignacio is a lecturer, activist, new filmmaker and self-proclaimed educator.  Ignacio is also one of the founding board members of Queers for Economic Justice, a progressive non-profit organization committed to promoting economic justice in a context of sexual and gender liberation.

        Meet a few of Our Presenters and Workshops

        Surgical Options for the Transgender Patient
        presented by Dr. Daniel Medalie of Cleveland Plastic Surgery
        This lecture will present a broad based introduction to the various surgeries available to transgender patients.Dr. Medalie will review the indications and requirements for surgery, the surgical procedures themselves and the risks and benefits of the operations.Detailed photos and videos will be shown of several of the procedures. The purpose of the talk is to enlighten health care providers who may not be aware of the multiplicity of surgical options available to transgender individuals. It is also designed to answer questions for any individual patients in the audience who may be considering one or several procedures.

        Bacon & Tomato: Lettuce Work Together
        presented by Merideth Lively and Andrew Stock
        This interactive workshop will discuss the intersection of bisexual and transgender issues. We’ll review the history of bi and trans activism and historical examples of partnerships between these movements. We will talk about language and the gender binary, examine all sides of the argument that bisexual identity erases trans identity, and also consider the ways bi and trans organizations have handled the concept of a gender binary. We’ll discuss some of the ways in which the mainstream gay movement has erased us both, as well as the progress it’s making for us.  Finally, we will seek your input and ideas. What has your experience been with these issues? What are some of the things you wish bi and/or trans communities understood about your identity? How do you believe our communities can work together to achieve mutual goals? How do you view those mutual goals?

        Managing Workplace Identity
        presented by Sidney Leister
        Dealing with employers can be a scary thing when one is getting ready to transition. This workshop will be a real life experience from one who has worked for the same Healthcare provider for over 9 years and has recently gone through the FtM transition, in front of her peers, leaders and one who manages a large staff of associates. Learning how to have crucial conversations and how to overcome fears and obstacles that happen when others don’t understand or accept “who we are”. This workshop will help provide ideas and suggestions for others who may face the same issues as they go through the process.

        Ink, Ambition, and Discovery
        presented by Barefoot Justine Mara Anderson
        Justine Mara Andersen’s work, at times unbeknownst even to her, has always been inspired by her need to resolve her own gender identity as well as her need to come to grips with her obsessive fetishism. Throughout her presentation she will share her work (published by DC Comics, Eros Comix, Dungeons and Dragons, and Lucasfilm) as well as examples of her influences and how her life of adventure (visits with Buddhist Monks in Korea, brothels in the Philippines, and narrow escapes in Chile) and gender questions were the engine that kept her and her work moving forward.

        Coming Out as Sacrament
        presented by Rev. Margaret Hawk
        This workshop will explore the process of coming out (self identification, gender expression, changing one’s name, telling others, etc.) in relation to the spiritual notion of “sacrament”. The first portion of the workshop will be devoted to talking about the idea of sacraments in general and drawing out the parallels. Next, participants will quickly explore the parallels between those rites traditionally considered sacraments in the Christian tradition and the various stages of coming out. Finally, time will be set aside for open discussion in hopes of giving participants a way of putting words on their own experience of the Divine Presence as they understand it in their coming out experiences. Drawing on Chris Glasser’s book by the same title, various works by Virginia Ramey Mollenkott, and her own theological training, Rev. Margaret Hawk will invite participants to explore this most holy of activities – coming out.

        Symposium Caucuses Include:

        POC
        Genderqueer
        Trans Masculine
        Trans Feminine
        Youth
        Non-Transitioning
        Allies
        Partners
        And More!

        For a full list of workshops and presenter bios, info about weekend events, registration, volunteering, scholarships and more, visit transohio.wordpress.com!

        Our Sponsors

        The OSU Multicultural Center

        The OSU College of Social Work

        ComBIne

        Shades@OSU

        Speaker's Bureau

        HRC@OSU

        The Apothecary Shops

        United Way of Central Ohio

        The LGBT Center of Greater Cleveland

        Apropos Promo

        Out for Work

        GenderBloc

        Center for Progressive Leadership

        Heart Centered Healing

        Club Diversity

        LGBT Committee of the Columbus Bar Association

        Wall Street Night Club