Re: FC-30 problem

  • monfried
    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 3, 2002
      Cortland,

      Thanks. That's exactly what frustrating me - that the transmitter
      doesn't activate momentarily so the tuner can check the SWR. The
      immediate question, though, is whether I'm doing something wrong -
      or if there's a problem with the tuner!

      Dave

      --- In FT897@y..., "ka5s" <cortlandka5s@n...> wrote:
      > The FC-30 will not tune if the SWR is above 3:1 or below 1.5:1.
      > However, the transmitter should come on _once_, looking for the
      SWR.

      > Cortland
      >
      > --- In FT897@y..., "monfried" <w2pk@a...> wrote:
      > > I think I'm having a problem with my new FC-30 tuner, and would
      > > appreciate help.
    • AlAllum
      Message 2 of 11 , Dec 3, 2002
        Dave,

        What I gatherd from reading the instructions was that after setting
        the menu to "Tunner" and then going to menu "K" you press the "A"
        button momentarly to turn it on, then you press the "A" button and
        hold it till the brackets appear. Hope it helps.

        Al N8ARO
      • Bruce Shrader
        Message 3 of 11 , Dec 3, 2002
          And if I read correctly on a previous, The FT-897
          starts "Fold-Back" at 2:1 or above. Is this correct?
          IF so, I'm not even going to consider getting an
          FC-30,
          I'll check into the LDG tuner or something else.
          Man what a "Screwed Up" system!

          N4ADO

          --- ka5s <cortlandka5s@...> wrote:
          > The FC-30 will not tune if the SWR is above 3:1 or
          > below 1.5:1.
          > However, the transmitter should come on _once_,
          > looking for the SWR.
          >
          > Cortland
          >
          > --- In FT897@y..., "monfried" <w2pk@a...> wrote:
          > > I think I'm having a problem with my new FC-30
          > tuner, and would
          > > appreciate help.

          http://mailplus.yahoo.com
        • ka5s
          Message 4 of 11 , Dec 3, 2002
            Yes, I believe that's so. The FC-30 prevents foldback for SWR above
            2.

            I bought an FC-30, but I'm not using it mobile or portable. It DOES
            work (within its ratings) but I found it's not really good in a
            mobile, and I don't need to waste battery life spinning its fan when
            portable.

            There are "interesting" design touches. The tuner's SWR bridge
            combines forward and reflected signals _at RF_ and is therefore
            sensitive to RF phase, as well as numerical SWR.

            The tuner inductance is NOT binary combinations of values; the relays
            that switch them open either across the relay -- or connect to
            ground. This may lower the voltage rating needed from relay contacts
            to the relay coils.

            While tuning, a power attenuator is switched in, to reduce power
            enough for the resistive SWR bridge -- which may explain why there's
            a fan. The instructions say the fan is to cool the tuner processor.

            LDG should be able to repackage an RT11 with Z11 logic and latching
            relays, and have a really good FC-30 replacement.

            But I'll not be too hard on Vertex-Standard; the _radio_ has
            remarkably few first-issue bugs.

            Cortland

            --- In FT897@y..., Bruce Shrader <n4ado@y...> wrote:
            > And if I read correctly on a previous, The FT-897
            > starts "Fold-Back" at 2:1 or above. Is this correct?
            > IF so, I'm not even going to consider getting an
            > FC-30, I'll check into the LDG tuner or something else.
            > Man what a "Screwed Up" system!
          • w4cng
            Message 5 of 11 , Dec 3, 2002
              What is wrong with "Resonant Frequency Antennas"? I posted a
              document (in files) that shows how to put a $50 MFJ tuner (that
              really works) on a FT-897. Just because the latest "Autotuner" (read
              that No Operator Intervention Required) does not tune a wet noodle to
              1:1, where's the BEEF? Some things have published Limitations, some
              tell you how to work with them. If you cannot read good directions
              on how to tune a manual tuner to a rig, including using low power to
              do it, maybe it is time to step back, take a long deep breath, and
              say, I need to learn more about this subject, and make a better
              choice than an FC-30!

              Good Luck, My tuner works GREAT! Steve W4CNG

              --- In FT897@y..., Bruce Shrader <n4ado@y...> wrote:
              > And if I read correctly on a previous, The FT-897
              > starts "Fold-Back" at 2:1 or above. Is this correct?
              > IF so, I'm not even going to consider getting an
              > FC-30,
              > I'll check into the LDG tuner or something else.
              > Man what a "Screwed Up" system!
              >
              > N4ADO
              >

              > --- ka5s <cortlandka5s@n...> wrote:
              > > The FC-30 will not tune if the SWR is above 3:1 or
              > > below 1.5:1.
              > > However, the transmitter should come on _once_,
              > > looking for the SWR.
              > >
              > > Cortland
              > >
              > > --- In FT897@y..., "monfried" <w2pk@a...> wrote:
              > > > I think I'm having a problem with my new FC-30
              > > tuner, and would
              > > > appreciate help.

              > http://mailplus.yahoo.com
            • prcradio
              Message 6 of 11 , Dec 3, 2002
                Could someone with an FC-30 run it for a while with the cover off and
                see if it really needs the fan for the processor? If the processor
                chip runs cool (big screw up if not) then I suspect the fan is only
                for cooling the attenuator. Maybe tuning at low or moderate power
                would allow you to disconnect the fan?

              • w8mis <w8mis@yahoo.com>
                Message 7 of 11 , Jan 29, 2003
                  I read quite a bit negitive about the FT 897. Just wanted to say the
                  rig fits my needs very well. I just installed the factory power
                  supply and fits and works just great. I can take the rig upstairs
                  and put a small whip in the HF port and use it as a receiver. Put
                  the same whip in the VHF/UHF port and adjust length for min SWR and
                  work FM simplex/rptrs.

                  Larry