Re: FC-30 problem

  • monfried
    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 3, 2002
      Nick,

      Thanks for the fast reply. I am aware that numerous problems with
      the FC-30 have been reported - but, still, this one is surprising.

      When I depress the TUNE button, all I see in the upper right hand
      corner, under "13.9V," is WAIT followed by TUNR. There's no HIGH
      SWR.

      The parentheses issue (i.e. the lack of them around "TUNE" in menu
      MFk) is still very bothersome - but perhaps to be expected if the
      tuner won't even attempt to tune a greater than 3:1 SWR. But
      wouldn't you expect the tuner to send out at least a momentary xmit
      signal to check SWR???

      May be time to check out the alternative tuners!

      Again, Nick, thanks.

      Dave

      --- In FT897@y..., "g4fal" <g4fal@r...> wrote:
      > > I think I'm having a problem with my new FC-30 tuner
      >
      > > the transmitter is not activated during any part of that
      > > process.
      > >
      > > If the antenna I'm using is presenting an SWR exceeding 3:1,
      seems
      > > to me that I should still hear the FC-30 trying to tune into an
      > > acceptable range.
      >
      > Hi Dave
      >
      > If I had a pound (or dollar) for everyone who has had a problem
      with
      > their FC30, I would be a wealthy man.
      >
      > I'm not sure why you can't see the transmitter being activated -
      but
      > do you see a symbol, top right on the FT897 LCD saying 'HIGH SWR'?
      >
      > Problem is described in your third sentence (and this is THE FC30
      > problem), if your antenna is presenting an SWR greater than 3:1,
      the
      > FC30 will not even try to tune it into an acceptable range.
      >
      > 'Great tuner for a portable rig', I hear you exclaim,
      sarcastically.

      > You have a choice:
      >
      > 1. Take it back and buy an alternative - see postings above for
      > suggestions.
      > 2. Use a manual tuner to front-end the autotuner.
      > 3. Get an antenna with better than 3:1 SWR on all bands -not so
      easy
      > on a field-day.
      >
      > Sorry to be the bearer of bad tidings but I have been similarly
      > stung - again this is described in graphic detail in a previous
      > thread. Don't get me wrong, the rig seems great - its just the
      tuner
      > that is disappointing.
      >
      > Do as a previous poster suggests - put the FC30 in the corner and
      > forget about it. Its amazing how quickly you will start to enjoy
      the
      > FT897.
      >
      > Hope to see you on the bands...
      >
      > Nick, G4FAL
    • monfried
      Message 2 of 11 , Dec 3, 2002
        Cortland,

        Thanks. That's exactly what frustrating me - that the transmitter
        doesn't activate momentarily so the tuner can check the SWR. The
        immediate question, though, is whether I'm doing something wrong -
        or if there's a problem with the tuner!

        Dave

        --- In FT897@y..., "ka5s" <cortlandka5s@n...> wrote:
        > The FC-30 will not tune if the SWR is above 3:1 or below 1.5:1.
        > However, the transmitter should come on _once_, looking for the
        SWR.

        > Cortland
        >
        > --- In FT897@y..., "monfried" <w2pk@a...> wrote:
        > > I think I'm having a problem with my new FC-30 tuner, and would
        > > appreciate help.
      • AlAllum
        Message 3 of 11 , Dec 3, 2002
          Dave,

          What I gatherd from reading the instructions was that after setting
          the menu to "Tunner" and then going to menu "K" you press the "A"
          button momentarly to turn it on, then you press the "A" button and
          hold it till the brackets appear. Hope it helps.

          Al N8ARO
        • Bruce Shrader
          Message 4 of 11 , Dec 3, 2002
            And if I read correctly on a previous, The FT-897
            starts "Fold-Back" at 2:1 or above. Is this correct?
            IF so, I'm not even going to consider getting an
            FC-30,
            I'll check into the LDG tuner or something else.
            Man what a "Screwed Up" system!

            N4ADO

            --- ka5s <cortlandka5s@...> wrote:
            > The FC-30 will not tune if the SWR is above 3:1 or
            > below 1.5:1.
            > However, the transmitter should come on _once_,
            > looking for the SWR.
            >
            > Cortland
            >
            > --- In FT897@y..., "monfried" <w2pk@a...> wrote:
            > > I think I'm having a problem with my new FC-30
            > tuner, and would
            > > appreciate help.

            http://mailplus.yahoo.com
          • ka5s
            Message 5 of 11 , Dec 3, 2002
              Yes, I believe that's so. The FC-30 prevents foldback for SWR above
              2.

              I bought an FC-30, but I'm not using it mobile or portable. It DOES
              work (within its ratings) but I found it's not really good in a
              mobile, and I don't need to waste battery life spinning its fan when
              portable.

              There are "interesting" design touches. The tuner's SWR bridge
              combines forward and reflected signals _at RF_ and is therefore
              sensitive to RF phase, as well as numerical SWR.

              The tuner inductance is NOT binary combinations of values; the relays
              that switch them open either across the relay -- or connect to
              ground. This may lower the voltage rating needed from relay contacts
              to the relay coils.

              While tuning, a power attenuator is switched in, to reduce power
              enough for the resistive SWR bridge -- which may explain why there's
              a fan. The instructions say the fan is to cool the tuner processor.

              LDG should be able to repackage an RT11 with Z11 logic and latching
              relays, and have a really good FC-30 replacement.

              But I'll not be too hard on Vertex-Standard; the _radio_ has
              remarkably few first-issue bugs.

              Cortland

              --- In FT897@y..., Bruce Shrader <n4ado@y...> wrote:
              > And if I read correctly on a previous, The FT-897
              > starts "Fold-Back" at 2:1 or above. Is this correct?
              > IF so, I'm not even going to consider getting an
              > FC-30, I'll check into the LDG tuner or something else.
              > Man what a "Screwed Up" system!
            • w4cng
              Message 6 of 11 , Dec 3, 2002
                What is wrong with "Resonant Frequency Antennas"? I posted a
                document (in files) that shows how to put a $50 MFJ tuner (that
                really works) on a FT-897. Just because the latest "Autotuner" (read
                that No Operator Intervention Required) does not tune a wet noodle to
                1:1, where's the BEEF? Some things have published Limitations, some
                tell you how to work with them. If you cannot read good directions
                on how to tune a manual tuner to a rig, including using low power to
                do it, maybe it is time to step back, take a long deep breath, and
                say, I need to learn more about this subject, and make a better
                choice than an FC-30!

                Good Luck, My tuner works GREAT! Steve W4CNG

                --- In FT897@y..., Bruce Shrader <n4ado@y...> wrote:
                > And if I read correctly on a previous, The FT-897
                > starts "Fold-Back" at 2:1 or above. Is this correct?
                > IF so, I'm not even going to consider getting an
                > FC-30,
                > I'll check into the LDG tuner or something else.
                > Man what a "Screwed Up" system!
                >
                > N4ADO
                >

                > --- ka5s <cortlandka5s@n...> wrote:
                > > The FC-30 will not tune if the SWR is above 3:1 or
                > > below 1.5:1.
                > > However, the transmitter should come on _once_,
                > > looking for the SWR.
                > >
                > > Cortland
                > >
                > > --- In FT897@y..., "monfried" <w2pk@a...> wrote:
                > > > I think I'm having a problem with my new FC-30
                > > tuner, and would
                > > > appreciate help.

                > http://mailplus.yahoo.com
              • prcradio
                Message 7 of 11 , Dec 3, 2002
                  Could someone with an FC-30 run it for a while with the cover off and
                  see if it really needs the fan for the processor? If the processor
                  chip runs cool (big screw up if not) then I suspect the fan is only
                  for cooling the attenuator. Maybe tuning at low or moderate power
                  would allow you to disconnect the fan?

                • w8mis <w8mis@yahoo.com>
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jan 29, 2003
                    I read quite a bit negitive about the FT 897. Just wanted to say the
                    rig fits my needs very well. I just installed the factory power
                    supply and fits and works just great. I can take the rig upstairs
                    and put a small whip in the HF port and use it as a receiver. Put
                    the same whip in the VHF/UHF port and adjust length for min SWR and
                    work FM simplex/rptrs.

                    Larry