Re: The radio it self is it worth it? - twice step

  • w4wb
    Message 1 of 32 , Dec 1, 2002
      --- In FT897@y..., "Woodrick, Ed" <Mail-Lists.FT-817@e...> wrote:
      > <snip>>
      > Tuning Step Twice? Odds are that Running Man is on. That's what he
      is
      > supposed to do.

      The RUNNUNG MAN yields 10x tuning with the main dial and 2x with the
      VFO/MEM CH selector. Bruce failed to state the conditions he
      observed his "problem." I note that such a problem has been observed
      when the optical encoder has failed on the 100D and 817. Odds are Ed
      that Bruce is/was unknowingly toggling the FAST TUNE control. I have
      not heard of any encoder issues with the 897 yet.

      73,
      Barry - W4WB
    • alpha
      Message 32 of 32 , Dec 5, 2002
        my 2 cents, got the 897, tunner, filters, txco-9, internal powersupply ........ spent a bundle. gues what ........ i can throw it in my truck, along with the mp-1 antenna, and when i get to my motel at night i can work 40 - 440 , hook it to my alp top and do what ever i want ...... cant do that with my MP...... its relative ......
        pete, N6BXZ
        Valveman <valveman_6146@...> wrote:
        I own both a 570D and an 897. I don't know how you can compare the two. One is HF only and the other is DC to daylight.
        Either you want a rig with only HF or do you want a rig that does it all. That's the real choice. The 897 does it all very welll Just as the 570D performs well on HF.
        A better comparison would be between an ICOM 706 MK II and an FT-100D or Kenwoods' offering in this market.
        Cheers,
        Robert VE3RPF

        NF6E <my_online_id@...> wrote: I've been monitoring this list for quite some time, absorbing the
        varied opinions of you fine folk regarding the 897. I've also been
        reading the opinions of the Kenwood 570 owners on the 570 list. I've
        been to our local HRO several times to play with the 570 and was
        eager to see/touch/play with the 897 when it came out. I own an 817
        and thought the 897 was the answer for me, as I am truly fond of the
        817. The 897 appeared to have excellent aesthetics for base/portable
        use (I dislike fragile rigs that seem to need to be carted about
        wrapped in a towel for fear of injury) and best of all, the 897 would
        require little education since the menus are purportedly the same as
        the 817.

        But when I finally got my hands on one and played with it a bit, I
        realized it was just not enough radio for me. Something was
        missing. In no way does this mean the radio is BAD - it just means
        the rig was not for me. Maybe it was due to its close resemblance to
        the 817. Perhaps the close resemblance made me feel as if I wouldn't
        be getting something NEW if I got an 897. And once you buy
        everything you believe you may need in the way of accessories to take
        full advantage of the rig's flexibility, you could end up putting out
        close to $2K. So maybe I'm cheap too.

        I do like the rig, and I do see myself purchasing an 897 in the
        future as a camping rig, perhaps when the price breaks a bit. The
        accessories really need to come down in price. I'm sure some vendor
        coupons will be offered in the future. By waiting approximately 18
        months for my 570 purchase I saved close to $400 due to HRO
        incentives and vendor coupons. I didn't plan it that way. It just
        happened.

        As for the problems some people are reporting with the 897, I mean,
        really. It happens. My first new HF rig was a Kenwood 520SE,
        c.1981. I was 15 years old and so excited by this surprise gift I
        could hardly contain myself. I set it up, flipped on the power, saw
        the lights come on and...nothing. RX was d-e-a-d. I was beyond
        disappointed. Turned out the SO239 was suffering from a bad solder
        job. I mean, quality control can't control everything.

        So I guess the original theme of this thread, "The radio itself, is
        it worth it?" may be more relative to your personal needs and not so
        much the way the radio operates. I spent about as much money on my
        Kenwood 570 as I would have on a Yaesu 897 - for rig only � not
        because the Kenwood is a better radio than the 897, but because the
        Kenwood was a better fit for ME than the 897.

        Lastly, you can't blame the radio for an installation that is not
        quite up to par. RF in your audio, crummy antenna, crummy RX station
        on the other end giving you a report, over- or under-processing your
        audio, and dare I say lacking the necessary skills to truly operate
        the radio optimally (hope I didn't just light a fire with that last
        comment) - these all factor into the rig's performance and your
        personal perception of same.

        So, all this said, I'll go back to the monitoring mode and keep
        reading your excellent posts about the 897. And when the day comes,
        and it will, that I do buy an 897, I will be sure to jump in here and
        share my experiences with everyone.

        73 and enjoy your toys.

        Jason - NF6E