Re: [FT897] Re: Extended TX Range

  • IW3HJY Denis
    Message 1 of 17 , Oct 31, 2004
      In My case I try with the SW before I make a lot of test and try to reset the processor but nothing at the end I bring the iron solder and do the modify in 5 minute and all is working fine!
      Bye
      Denis IW3HJY
      Message 2 of 17 , Oct 31, 2004
        NO Peter I mean that I try in any way to enable the TX with widebander and Softjump but with widebander don't work and with softjump where you use the CAT command the response was F0 this mean fult to write into CPU so the only way was make the hardware modify!
        Denis
        > In My case I try with the SW before I make a lot of test and try to
        reset the processor but nothing at the end I bring the iron solder and
        do the modify in 5 minute and all is working fine!

        Denis,

        Do you mean you reset the processor after using the software and
        before doing any tests ? If so then it won't work as resetting the
        processor will revert the radio back to the default as set by the jumpers.

        Peter

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

      • Peter Onion
        Message 3 of 17 , Nov 1, 2004

          Message 4 of 17 , Nov 1, 2004
            --- In FT897@yahoogroups.com, "IW3HJY Denis" <iw3hjy@t...> wrote:
            > In My case I try with the SW before I make a lot of test and try to
            reset the processor but nothing at the end I bring the iron solder and
            do the modify in 5 minute and all is working fine!

            Denis,

            Do you mean you reset the processor after using the software and
            before doing any tests ? If so then it won't work as resetting the
            processor will revert the radio back to the default as set by the jumpers.

            Peter
          • Darren
            Message 5 of 17 , Nov 1, 2004
              I modded my FT-897D with widebander and it worked a treat.
              Rememebr that you have to use the CAT cable. A friend of mine said he
              couldn't get it to work. When I checked with him he was using the data
              (psk rtty) lead :)

              Windeband was a doddle to use and you get the option to revert back if
              things should go wrong. Slip with a soldering iron and it could be
              expensive :)
              Doing the solder blob mod MIGHT invalidate the guarantee, the software
              mod doesn't.

              Darren
              GW7HOC MW5HOC
              daz(at)ft-817.co.uk
              http://www.mw5hoc.4t.com
            • k9ztv
              Message 6 of 17 , Nov 1, 2004
                Doing a hardware mod to open up a Yaesu radio has NEVER validated
                warranties on the four radios I've done it to (FT-575GX (slide switch);
                FT-1000D; FT-100D; FT-897).

                Kent K9ZTV

                Darren wrote:

                > Doing the solder blob mod MIGHT invalidate the guarantee, the software
                > mod doesn't.
                >
                > Darren
                > GW7HOC MW5HOC
                > daz(at)ft-817.co.uk
                > http://www.mw5hoc.4t.com

              • Darren
                Message 7 of 17 , Nov 1, 2004
                  --- In FT897@yahoogroups.com, k9ztv <k9ztv@s...> wrote:
                  > Doing a hardware mod to open up a Yaesu radio has NEVER validated
                  > warranties on the four radios I've done it to (FT-575GX (slide switch);
                  > FT-1000D; FT-100D; FT-897).

                  That is good news Kent but it might depend on the competency of the
                  person doing the job. If it's a neat job then all should be OK. If
                  there is solder everywhere, like if I were to do it, it might be a
                  different story :)

                  Darren (not the greatest wielder of a soldering ever to have lived)
                  GW7HOC MW5HOC
                  daz(at)ft-817.co.uk
                  http://www,mw5hoc.4t.com
                • Paul Webb
                  Message 8 of 17 , Nov 1, 2004
                    Hi

                    I have got a number of emails asking about WidebanderV4, and what it does and doesnt do, what radios will it work on and so on,
                    so to help out thoses that dont know about the program here are a few lines that explain whats what and how to use it,
                    Dispite a number of emails saying that it doesnt work for certain peoples radios i can assure any users that the software will work on both the old 817/857 & 897 range and the new ND models.
                    The software needs the VB runtimes installed on the machine that it is going to be used on and for most users this will already be there, if not its very easy to install and if you dont have a copy of these runtimes (or cant find them on the web) then here is a link to them on one of my web sites http://www.m0bmn.co.uk/VBRun60sp5.exe , also some may get an other error saying missing mscomm32 , again this is rare and easy to fix, drop me a line if you have this problem and i will send you the file for your PC.
                    To use the software you need a CAT lead that you connect between one of the COM (serial) ports on your pc and plugs into the CAT or Acc socket of your radio , dont use the DATA socket or lead or it will not work!!!
                    check your manual and find what menu setting is for the CAT Baud rate, and make a note of the value it gives when you check it.
                    Now run the software and select the baud rate your radio is set to and the com port number you have the lead connected to (likly to be 1) now just click the wideband button for your radio type and then turn off the radio. now turn it back on and your done!
                    to change it back to standard conect the radio back to the CAT lead and select the baud rate/com port again and click the standard button, turn your radio off and on again and your done.
                    If you wideband your radio you WILL lose the ARS since the radio is now not set to any countrys band plans ,this can not be "fixed" and is a built in "feature" of these radios if you open then up for wideband TX via solder blobs or software.
                    If you didnt know the software is in the files section and it is freeware, use it in good health.
                    All the best and enjoy the extra space on 40m
                    73
                    Paul M0BMN

                    Never be afraid to try something new.
                    Remember: Amateurs....built the ark..........
                    Professionals...built the Titanic

                  • k9ztv
                    Message 9 of 17 , Nov 1, 2004
                      Darren . . .

                      Understand your hesitancy. And I suspect you aren't alone.

                      Permit me a shot at the soapbox . . .

                      The Heath Company taught a whole generation (or two) how to solder. Now
                      it's up to Elecraft, I guess.

                      Failing in that, your local radio club or a good Elmer can fill the bill.

                      In my humble opinion, no one should be granted a license at any level
                      until they have demonstrated they can successfully solder a PL-259 onto
                      a piece of coax.

                      Are there NO minimum standards left anymore?

                      Kent K9ZTV

                      Darren wrote:

                      > --- In FT897@yahoogroups.com, k9ztv <k9ztv@s...> wrote:
                      > > Doing a hardware mod to open up a Yaesu radio has NEVER validated
                      > > warranties on the four radios I've done it to (FT-575GX (slide switch);
                      > > FT-1000D; FT-100D; FT-897).
                      >
                      > That is good news Kent but it might depend on the competency of the
                      > person doing the job. If it's a neat job then all should be OK. If
                      > there is solder everywhere, like if I were to do it, it might be a
                      > different story :)
                      >
                      > Darren (not the greatest wielder of a soldering ever to have lived)
                      > GW7HOC MW5HOC
                      > daz(at)ft-817.co.uk
                      > http://www,mw5hoc.4t.com

                    • gw0tqm
                      Message 10 of 17 , Nov 7, 2004
                        :)

                        Can we upgrade that to - 'mostly' manage to solder a PL259 hihi
                        (I've melted a few)

                        (and save soldering BNCs for people we dont like)

                        Just soft-jumped my 817. The new 'amateur' radio eh? Made me sweat.

                        My last car threw a wobbly, and because the EMU went down, their
                        computer at the garage wouldnt 'talk' to it. Took them 3 days
                        to diagnose the fault the EMU should have told them....

                        progress...

                        Carl GW0TQM

                        --- In FT897@yahoogroups.com, k9ztv <k9ztv@s...> wrote:
                        > Darren . . .
                        >
                        > Understand your hesitancy. And I suspect you aren't alone.

                      • Bryan
                        Message 11 of 17 , Nov 15, 2004
                          With thanks to Paul I tried Widebander 4 with my FT897 (non D) and
                          it has worked 100%.

                          Yes the ARS changes are no longer retained but hey I do have 200
                          spare memory slots and am currently using ADMS-4B to programme in UK
                          Repeaters that I expect to be driving by. Obviously having to
                          squeeze more than 200 into available slots I will miss out Orkney,
                          Shetands and so on. Storing it all on PC I can of course update
                          memories in minutes as needed.

                          With reference to wife problems with rigs. Why not get her licensed?
                          Mine, Linda 2E1SIS, chose our first base rig, a FT1000MP Mk5 Field
                          which did cause a bit of a stir at our Ealing Emporium when we went
                          down to collect on an open day and this point casually mentioned to
                          all by Chris hi!

                          Still sharing and have not fallen out yet hi!

                          73 de Bryan M0OIC