Home Repair gone Bad

  • John A. Lorenc
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 7, 2004
      Hello,

      There was a post earlier about how to fix an oscillating problem on
      six meters. Basically, the author of the post suggested you tighten
      certain screws within the rig. Well, thinking I'd save a few bucks, I
      opened up the rig and tightened nearly every screw I could find. Now,
      in retrospect of course that was stupid, but I'm resigned to that now.
      What I'm really wondering is if there is a way to restore my rig to the
      way it was before I fiddled around with it. Basically what is happening
      now is that on AM, DIG, CW, CWR, and SSB the receiver says it's
      receiving full scale on every band even without an antenna connected.
      Also, I have no power out on 2m and 70cm. I suspect that would be the
      same case with many of the bands, but unfortunately I can only check 2
      and 70. So, is there a way that I can put the rig back in good working
      order, or should I send it in for professional repair?

      Thanks,
      John
      VA3JBT
    • k5oz
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 8, 2004
        Hello John,

        I also read the post about the screws and stored it away in my grey
        matter just in case I had the problem on 6M mobile, however, I when
        I tried 6M in my car all was okay.

        Now for your problem....Tightening screws should not cause the
        problems you are experiencing unless there is a bad design in the
        rig which allows the screws to come in contact with one of the
        components or circuit board traces. I would suggest close
        examination of the screws you tightened to see if this could
        possibly be the case. If you can not visually see the back side of
        where the screw is going, please do not try to get to it; with
        things so small, you may do more damage. Hopefully, you turned only
        screws and not any coil slugs. If you turned any coil slugs, the
        rig will be out of alignment and should go to a experienced person
        who has the knowledge and the equipment to perform alignments. I
        would suggest Yaesu.

        If all looks okay with the screws, make sure your RF gain is not
        turned down (this will give you the full scale reading on your S-
        meter). Another suggestion, before sending the rig back, would be
        to do a full master reset of the rig CPU as pointed out in the
        manual on page 117 and see if the rig comes back to life (note: you
        will lose all programmed memory channels and rig settings will go to
        default)

        Good Luck
        Dave, K5OZ

        --- In FT897@yahoogroups.com, "John A. Lorenc" <jalorenc@r...> wrote:
        > Hello,
        >
        > There was a post earlier about how to fix an oscillating
        problem on
        > six meters. Basically, the author of the post suggested you
        tighten
        > certain screws within the rig. Well, thinking I'd save a few
        bucks, I
        > opened up the rig and tightened nearly every screw I could find.
        Now,
        > in retrospect of course that was stupid, but I'm resigned to that
        now.
        > What I'm really wondering is if there is a way to restore my rig
        to the
        > way it was before I fiddled around with it. Basically what is
        happening
        > now is that on AM, DIG, CW, CWR, and SSB the receiver says it's
        > receiving full scale on every band even without an antenna
        connected.
        > Also, I have no power out on 2m and 70cm. I suspect that would be
        the
        > same case with many of the bands, but unfortunately I can only
        check 2
        > and 70. So, is there a way that I can put the rig back in good
        working
        > order, or should I send it in for professional repair?
        >
        > Thanks,
        > John
        > VA3JBT
      • RONALD REMUS
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 8, 2004
          THE MANUAL TALS ABOUT THE SCREWS THAT HOLD THE SIDE BKTS. BEING TO
          LONG AND MAKING CONTACT WITH CIRCUIT BOARD.

          Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT