Re: Using a portable Buddipole dipole with Yaesu FT-897d?

  • hifilistner
    Message 1 of 27 , Apr 2, 2004
      Hi Mark:

      Yes you would need to switch the antenna when you want to go between
      HF and VHF/UHF. I suggest looking at two antennas. Use the
      Buddipole for HF (and 6m) and a j-pole, mobile mag mount or some
      other VHF/UHF antenna for the high bands.

      There are other options that allow you to use the single antenna,
      but I find it nice to be able to switch the radio to 2m and not have
      to move coax and reconfigure the antennas...

      73

      Larry
      K0LEJ

      > 897 has to antenna connections on the back, 1 for HF/50MHz and the
      > other for 2m/440. When I connect the BP to the HF/50MHz anything
      > above 50MHZ is dead. Just as an example, I live a few miles from
      > Newark airport and I hear zip, nada, zero on 118.300 which is the
      > tower. When I switch the BP connection to the 2m/440 everything
      above
      > 50MHz now comes alive and HF/50MHz id deaf. I mainly use 6m but
      would
      > also like to use 2m/70cm. Am I going to need to switch this
      everytime
      > I want to do that?
    • Peter Hilkmann
      Message 2 of 27 , Apr 2, 2004
        Hi Greg,
        I think you should try your discone for VHF and UHF.
        Use a SWR-meter to check it.
        A discone is a broadbandantenna.

        ' 73 de Peter , PE1DCD

        Message 3 of 27 , Apr 2, 2004
          Hi, Peter,

          Good observation! I have been using this discone on 6 meters for
          quite a few years with excellent success up to two hop E-skip from
          Virginia/Maine (I split my time between the two places) to the U.S.
          west coast. I've worked all states (many using the discone) on six
          meters (lost track of how many grids) and, I think, 27 countries (a
          few of those on the discone -- Latin American and Carribean). I also
          run phased loops for 6m as well as a 3 element beam. I can run up to
          100 watts into it. The discones performance is sometimes only a
          couple of s units difference betwen it and the two phased horizontal
          loops. Of course the beam is a different story -- depends partly on
          the strength of the opening. Discones are very effective antennas and
          sometimes overlooked. I said I don't use 2 meters or 70cm, but that
          is not totally true. I have used that antenna to work 2m SSB during
          nice tropo ducts and have even been sometimes successful working 2m Au
          CW. But I don't use repeaters -- actually never have -- no good
          reason -- just like working rare or weak signals. I originally bought
          it strictly for airband monitoring and communicating with my son when
          he has the plane. I bought mine through an aircraft avionics shop for
          $20 USD many years ago. It is mounted at 40 feet. The SWR is less
          than 1.3 across the 2 meters and less than 1.2 across the lower part
          of six metere from 50.00 MHz to about 50.400 MHz.

          Thanks for the note. Interesting topic about antennas and its broad
          band attributes can be very useful.

          73, Peter,
          Greg K2UM
        • Jim Beyer
          Message 4 of 27 , Apr 2, 2004
            Comet and diamond both sell duplexers that merge the two ports into one. Mine cost about U$ 30.

            73

            de

            jim KB9NGI

          • Al Allum
            Message 5 of 27 , Apr 3, 2004
              Larry and Mark, I have used the Buddipole on 2 meters and 440 also, actually 60 meters through 440 MHz.

              Al, N8ARO

              Message 6 of 27 , Apr 3, 2004
                Hi All
                I have connected my ct-62 to my com port launched the Ham Radio DeLuxe
                program and..........nothing. The program told me no communication with
                radio, the question is...do I have to enable some function in the ft897 menu?
                Regards

                IZØEHO Andrea Pellegrini
                icq 16829125
                http://it.geocities.com/iz0eho

              • Roger J. Buffington
                Message 7 of 27 , Apr 3, 2004
                  You may have to enable CAT rather than ATAS or TUNER.

                  Roger J. Buffington, W6VZV
                  M/V "Bounty"
                  Sea Ray Sundancer 340
                  w6vzv@...

                  Message 8 of 27 , Apr 3, 2004
                    yes but HOW?
                    Regards

                    At 17.24 03/04/04, you wrote:

                    >You may have to enable CAT rather than ATAS or TUNER.
                    >
                    >Roger J. Buffington, W6VZV
                    >M/V "Bounty"
                    >Sea Ray Sundancer 340
                    >w6vzv@...

                  • Jim Schropp
                    Message 9 of 27 , Apr 3, 2004
                      menu #020 Cat/Lin/Tun

                      Jim K4SCH
                      >You may have to enable CAT rather than ATAS or TUNER.
                      >
                      >Roger J. Buffington, W6VZV
                      >M/V "Bounty"
                      >Sea Ray Sundancer 340
                      >w6vzv@...

                      Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                    • Roger J. Buffington
                      Message 10 of 27 , Apr 3, 2004
                        It's one of the menu items. Look in the book or just scroll through them.
                        Roger J. Buffington, W6VZV
                        M/V "Bounty"
                        Sea Ray Sundancer 340
                        w6vzv@...

                        (<http://www.grisoft.com).>http://www.grisoft.com).

                        ibe@yahoogroups.com

                        > *

                      • Andy
                        Message 11 of 27 , Apr 3, 2004
                          On my menu I have CAT/LINEAR/TUNER I selected CAT at 38400 bps. is it right?

                          At 17.51 03/04/04, you wrote:

                          >menu #020 Cat/Lin/Tun
                          >
                          >Jim K4SCH

                        • Roger J. Buffington
                          Message 12 of 27 , Apr 3, 2004
                            If 38400 is what you have the CAT menu for MixW it is.
                            Roger J. Buffington, W6VZV
                            M/V "Bounty"
                            Sea Ray Sundancer 340
                            w6vzv@...

                            .

                            ibe@yahoogroups.com

                            > > *

                            <<http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>Yahoo!
                            > Terms of Service.

                            > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                            Service.

                            ibe@yahoogroups.com

                            > *

                          • Andy
                            Message 13 of 27 , Apr 3, 2004
                              Last news....I tried with all three but nothing.......is it the only way?
                              iz0eho Andy

                            • Roger J. Buffington
                              Message 14 of 27 , Apr 3, 2004
                                Be sure the BPS rate is set the same in the rig and MixW.
                                Roger J. Buffington, W6VZV
                                M/V "Bounty"
                                Sea Ray Sundancer 340
                                w6vzv@...

                                ibe@yahoogroups.com

                                ibe@yahoogroups.com

                                ibe@yahoogroups.com

                                > *

                              • Andy
                                Message 15 of 27 , Apr 3, 2004
                                  What you mean for MixW?

                                  At 18.43 03/04/04, you wrote:

                                  >Be sure the BPS rate is set the same in the rig and MixW.
                                  >Roger J. Buffington, W6VZV
                                  >M/V "Bounty"
                                  >Sea Ray Sundancer 340
                                  >w6vzv@...

                                  Q U O T E ........................

                                • mack bolan
                                  Message 16 of 27 , Apr 3, 2004
                                    i had the same problem you need to chk the menu in the radio and make sure it set
                                    menu # 19 set to 4800 menu # 20 set to cat good luck
                                    Andy <leon2000@...> wrote:Hi All
                                    I have connected my ct-62 to my com port launched the Ham Radio DeLuxe
                                    program and..........nothing. The program told me no communication with
                                    radio, the question is...do I have to enable some function in the ft897 menu?
                                    Regards

                                    IZ�EHO Andrea Pellegrini
                                    icq 16829125
                                    http://it.geocities.com/iz0eho

                                  • Mark
                                    Message 17 of 27 , Apr 3, 2004
                                      Andy, MixW is software used to control your rig - popular, but only one of a
                                      number of choices. Ham Radio Deluxe is another popular choice - it's good
                                      and it's free.

                                      All software choices require that your radio and your software be set to use
                                      the same baud rate. It's also important that your software be set to
                                      communicate with the serial communications port on your computer that your
                                      cable is plugged into. If your cable is plugged into COM2, the software
                                      must be set to talk to COM2.

                                      Make sure your radio's menu option #19, CAT RATE, is set to ???? (38400 is
                                      usually fine). Make sure that menu option #20, CAT/LIN/TUN, is set to CAT.
                                      Positively identify the COM port on your computer that your CT-62 cable is
                                      plugged into. Install your chosen software and ensure that it is set up to
                                      use the correct COM port and the same baud (CAT) rate as you set on your
                                      radio in menu option #19.

                                      HTH

                                      Mark
                                      VE3LLL

                                      >Be sure the BPS rate is set the same in the rig and MixW.
                                      >Roger J. Buffington, W6VZV
                                      >M/V "Bounty"
                                      >Sea Ray Sundancer 340
                                      >w6vzv@...

                                      Q U O T E ........................

                                      _____

                                      Message 18 of 27 , Apr 4, 2004
                                        I have done everything perfectly but still not work.
                                        I think probably the cable CT-62 has a problem this afternoon I'll test it.

                                        At 05.18 04/04/04, you wrote:

                                        >Andy, MixW is software used to control your rig - popular, but only one of a
                                        >number of choices. Ham Radio Deluxe is another popular choice - it's good
                                        >and it's free.
                                        >
                                        >All software choices require that your radio and your software be set to use
                                        >the same baud rate. It's also important that your software be set to
                                        >communicate with the serial communications port on your computer that your
                                        >cable is plugged into. If your cable is plugged into COM2, the software
                                        >must be set to talk to COM2.
                                        >
                                        >Make sure your radio's menu option #19, CAT RATE, is set to ???? (38400 is
                                        >usually fine). Make sure that menu option #20, CAT/LIN/TUN, is set to CAT.
                                        >Positively identify the COM port on your computer that your CT-62 cable is
                                        >plugged into. Install your chosen software and ensure that it is set up to
                                        >use the correct COM port and the same baud (CAT) rate as you set on your
                                        >radio in menu option #19.
                                        >
                                        >HTH
                                        >
                                        >Mark
                                        >VE3LLL

                                        Q U O T E ..........

                                      • Andy
                                        Message 19 of 27 , Apr 5, 2004
                                          Well I don't know what to do ......settings are perfect, COM ports are OK
                                          cable is OK but still read the message " CANNOT READ FREQUENCY "
                                          I tried also to change software and I tried with Softjump......same thing.

                                          I don't know If I have to make something more.........

                                          Regards

                                          IZØEHO Andrea Pellegrini
                                          icq 16829125
                                          http://it.geocities.com/iz0eho

                                          QUOTE:::::::::::

                                        • Vince Shirley
                                          Message 20 of 27 , Apr 5, 2004
                                            Hi,

                                            I have exactly the same problem with logger - it will read the mode etc.,
                                            but not the frequency

                                            Comms isn't the problem - its asoftware issue

                                            Vince G0ORC

                                            Message 21 of 27 , Apr 5, 2004
                                              Try Commander, which is free via www.qsl.net/dxlab . Several FT897
                                              ops use it. Commander can optionally record the message traffic
                                              between your FT897 and your PC to a file. If Commander is unable to
                                              read your transceiver's frequency, send me the recorded messages
                                              (please select "hexadecimal radix" in the message display window) and
                                              I'll tell you what's going on.

                                              73,

                                              Dave, AA6YQ

                                              --- In FT897@yahoogroups.com, "Vince Shirley" <vince@b...> wrote:
                                              > Hi,
                                              >
                                              > I have exactly the same problem with logger - it will read the mode
                                              etc.,
                                              > but not the frequency
                                              >
                                              > Comms isn't the problem - its asoftware issue
                                              >
                                              > Vince G0ORC

                                              04/04/04

                                              Service.

                                            • Vince Shirley
                                              Message 22 of 27 , Apr 5, 2004
                                                Dave,

                                                Many thanks for that - however for those using Logger 3.2 as their main
                                                software, the trick is to set the software to FT-817.

                                                Then it works OK.

                                                Still trying Commander though - looks a useful piece of software - it works
                                                fine with my 897

                                                VInce G0ORC

                                                ops use it. Commander can optionally record the message traffic
                                                between your FT897 and your PC to a file. If Commander is unable to
                                                read your transceiver's frequency, send me the recorded messages
                                                (please select "hexadecimal radix" in the message display window) and
                                                I'll tell you what's going on.

                                                73,

                                                Dave, AA6YQ

                                                --- In FT897@yahoogroups.com, "Vince Shirley" <vince@b...> wrote:
                                                > Hi,
                                                >
                                                > I have exactly the same problem with logger - it will read the mode
                                                etc.,
                                                > but not the frequency
                                                >
                                                > Comms isn't the problem - its asoftware issue
                                                >
                                                > Vince G0ORC

                                                04/04/04

                                                Service.

                                              • Dave Bernstein
                                                Message 23 of 27 , Apr 5, 2004
                                                  If you like Commander, you might try the rest of the DXLab Suite -- all
                                                  of which is free. It includes logging, QSL/eQSL/LotW generation,
                                                  PSK31/PSK63/RTTY via soundcard, antenna rotation, beam heading and
                                                  DXInfo, propagation prediction and monitoring, and QSL route discovery.
                                                  These are applications that can be run indpendently, but when run at the
                                                  same time sense each other's presence and interoperate automatically.
                                                  All are available via www.qsl.net/dxlab .

                                                  73,

                                                  Dave, AA6YQ

                                                  ops use it. Commander can optionally record the message traffic
                                                  between your FT897 and your PC to a file. If Commander is unable to
                                                  read your transceiver's frequency, send me the recorded messages
                                                  (please select "hexadecimal radix" in the message display window) and
                                                  I'll tell you what's going on.

                                                  73,

                                                  Dave, AA6YQ

                                                  --- In FT897@yahoogroups.com, "Vince Shirley" <vince@b...> wrote:
                                                  > Hi,
                                                  >
                                                  > I have exactly the same problem with logger - it will read the mode
                                                  etc.,
                                                  > but not the frequency
                                                  >
                                                  > Comms isn't the problem - its asoftware issue
                                                  >
                                                  > Vince G0ORC

                                                  04/04/04

                                                  Service.

                                                  Service.