Re: [FT897] SWITCH ON PC TOP BOARD/ ALSO ADJ FOR FINAL OUTPUT

  • tony dibiase
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 4, 2004
      HOW DO I BRING UP THE FINAL WATTAGE/ MY FT897 CAME WITH ONLY , ON MENU 75 IT WILL ONLY GO UP TO 90 WATTS TONY KAPASO2003 WA2RHY

      tony akland <twakland77@...> wrote:that switch is for the dsp. when you put the dsp in you flip the switch to activate it

      Tony Akland
      311 S 1st Street
      Beresford SD 57004

      e-mail: twakland77@...

    • Jim Gerke
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 4, 2004
        The FT897 comes with the DSP already installed -- there are no switches to flip.
        Could you be referring to the FT857 instead?

        73, Jim, K5QL

        tony akland wrote:

        > that switch is for the dsp. when you put the dsp in you flip the switch to activate it
        >
        > Tony Akland
        > 311 S 1st Street
        > Beresford SD 57004
        >
        > e-mail: twakland77@...

      • KennyMac
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 5, 2004
          Hi all,

          I received my General last month and made my first cw / ssb contacts on
          a TS530 I got off of ebay. It sure is easier to send cw than receive :)I
          am hooked. I made a deal with the xyl to upgrade my radio. Of course,
          now I hear that the sky is falling BPL.

          Even still, I figure the upper bands of the ft-897 should still provide
          some satellite fun. Who knows.

          Anyway, I am looking on ebay as we speak and about ready to make the
          plunge. Seems like they are going for about 800 - 850 with a power
          supply. I really want to mess around with CAT and my laptop. I will be
          using it for primarily base operations. I would really appreciate any
          tips I should be looking for before I pull the trigger on an ft-897?
          There are a couple of other nice looking radios in the 850 - 1000 range
          that are a bigger footprint with fewer bands.

          I'm curious if I should maybe look more to a "base" type of radio but it
          sure seems the 897 does everything but slice bread :) Do any of you use
          it as a base rig?

          Thanks for any tips.

          Ken
          KC8YYC
        • WIGLWAGON@CS.COM
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 6, 2004
            I use my FT897 as a base and mobile and Portable too! I dont use CAT but I do
            have a hardwired interface for digital modes (plans available in this groups
            archives). I like the rig best on digital modes and vfh/uhf on all modes. I
            hate the new urge to build everything so small you need an electron microscope
            to see the buttons and dials, this rig i give an a+ for the ease of getting to
            the controls. If you have stubby digits like mine then you should like this
            rig. It is difficult to use with a generic tuner though. Why buy used when the
            price of this rig is right around the price you said you are looking for?. As
            far as the power supply, an Astron is much more versatile and it does'nt have
            to go with the rig if you decide to sell it later. my 2 cents worth 73 Jack
            KC0MOG

          • Dan Dager
            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 6, 2004
              Hello to you and the FT-897 Group,
              Before you buy on eBay, Go in to a Radio Shop Like (HRO) ect. And play with the radios....
              you will be able to make a good decision on what fit's your needs.
              But what ever you do BUY NEW ! Used on eBay you will not get a WARRANTY ..... I have the FT-897
              I like the fact that it is a all in one radio.
              73's To all.......

              Dan / KD7YAV