Re: Returned FT-897 for upgrade in Nov: still don't have it back!

  • Vince
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 2, 2004
      I returned mine for the bugfix list on Nov 22/03. I still do not
      have the unit back.

      Problems with return to ownwer included:
      -forgotten on the shelf; late to bench
      -forgot to ship it
      -plant closure preventing shipping on expected date (Christmas
      shutdown)
      -shipped by ground mail instead of express mail
      -lack of / improper customs paperwork, held up at border

      Calls to the Head of Customer service have gone unanswered, but I do
      get a phone call every week or so with the latest status.

      The only good thing about this whole story is that I seem to be the
      only one experiencing this bloody comedy of errors.

      73
      ..Vince/VE6VPD

      --- In FT897@yahoogroups.com, "Mike" <kc8wr@b...> wrote:
      > Tom,
      >
      > I sent my FT897 (Serial no. 2N) back to Yaesu at the beginning of
      Nov. 03,
      > got it back the middle of the month. Pretty quick turn around if
      you ask
      > me. I too, sent along a nice little list of "bugs" that I thought
      should be
      > fixed and they repaired or upgraded everything to my satisfaction.
      EXCEPT
      > the perceived issue with the RF Gain/Squelch. They did nothing
      about it at
      > all. Their answer to this issue was "ERROR in MANUAL". If you
      download the
      > revised manual for the FT897 and look at the operation section for
      the RF
      > GAIN/SQUELCH you will notice that it isn't even close to the
      original manual
      > that came with the FT897. That as they say is that! I can live
      with the RF
      > Gain/Squelch operating as it does it really isn't a problem as much
      as it is
      > an inconvenience. The flexibility of the rig is just so impressive
      that I
      > still believe it is the absolute best available in this class of
      radio. But
      > with that being said I still wish the RF Gain/Squelch worked as
      they stated
      > in the original manual.
      >
      > It will be interesting to see what they say or do with yours.
      Maybe by now
      > they have found a way to make it works as most of us think it
      should.
      > Things do change at a rapid pace nowadays.
      >
      > Good luck and let us know that it done.
      >
      > Mike - KC8WR

      Number is
      > > 2Kxxxxxxxx. I bought it new almost exactly one year ago and
      operated it
      > > even with all the problems reported, such as CW speed, DSP, and
      many
      > others.
      > > I must say, that even with all the problems, I was able to log
      a whole
      > lot
      > > of fun hours with the unit. But thanks to this group I was able
      to write
      > > down most all of the things that seemed wrong or broke. I also
      listed the
      > > RFGain/SQL issue because I interpreted the manual to say that the
      RF-Gain
      > > setting was by HF band separate from 2M and 2cm band. I beleive
      I should
      > > have been able to set the knob as a Squelch on those bands, while
      setting
      > it
      > > as a RF Gain on the HF bands. After all, this is a radio that
      does both
      > HF
      > > and UHF. It's like having two radios inside. Therefore, like two
      > different
      > > radios, I should be able to have RFGain on HF and SQL on UHF,
      just as
      > though
      > > they were two different radios.
      > >
      > > I'll keep the group informed when I get it back as to what was
      fixed.

      > > 73
      > > Tom - AB5ZJ

      > > Check out the new MSN 9 Dial-up - fast & reliable Internet access
      with
      > prime
      > > features! http://join.msn.com/?pgmarket=en-
      us&page=dialup/home&ST=1

      > > Yahoo! Groups Links

      > > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

    • Peter Hilkmann
      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 2, 2004
        Hi Vince,

        I feel sorry for you to hear your bad expirence with you local dealer.
        Did you inform the HQ of Yeasu?
        Would it help when I (and maybe others) e-mail your local dealer to tell them what we find about their "custom service"?

        The FT897 is a great radio!

        '73 Peter , PE1DCD

        Vince wrote:

        Subject: [FT897] Re: Returned FT-897 for upgrade in Nov: still don't have it back!

        I returned mine for the bugfix list on Nov 22/03. I still do not
        have the unit back.

        Problems with return to ownwer included:
        -forgotten on the shelf; late to bench
        -forgot to ship it
        -plant closure preventing shipping on expected date (Christmas
        shutdown)
        -shipped by ground mail instead of express mail
        -lack of / improper customs paperwork, held up at border

        Calls to the Head of Customer service have gone unanswered, but I do
        get a phone call every week or so with the latest status.

        The only good thing about this whole story is that I seem to be the
        only one experiencing this bloody comedy of errors.

        73
        ..Vince/VE6VPD

      • Jerry Gault
        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 2, 2004
          I would love to see the list also, it's time I sent my radio in as
          well.
          73 Jerry

          Message 4 of 10 , Feb 2, 2004
            I searched around and found a list in the files section dated Oct
            2003.

            73, Jerry

          • Tom Phillips
            Message 5 of 10 , Feb 2, 2004
              Hi, Mike,

              Yes, I'll let everyone know what they did, expecially if they change the RF
              Gain issue. I just got a postcard from the Repair dept. that says they
              received the radio and it would be two weeks turnaround. Maybe I'll see it
              in the middle of this month.

              73
              Tom - AB5ZJ

            • Larry Krainson
              Message 6 of 10 , Feb 8, 2004
                I would call yaesu ASAP.

                A few years ago I sent a VX-5R in and when I didn't hear anything for a few weeks contacted Yaesu and found out it had been shipped and UPS lost it. Yaesu sent me a new one and chased UPS for their refund!

                Call Yaesu.

                Good Luck,

                Larry - WB1DBY

              • Vince
                Message 7 of 10 , Feb 17, 2004
                  My radio arrived late last week. It was held up at the customs
                  brokerage for 3 weeks due to lack of proper paperwork and then
                  another week as the brokerage moved warehouses and nothing was
                  shipping.

                  All faults have been repaired. The most annoying fault for me was
                  the CAT port "hanging" while talking to the PC requiring a power
                  off/on cycle on the radio to work around this about 4 times per
                  hour. Since I've had the radio back I have not had to cycle the
                  power once.

                  Lessons learned:
                  -Get upset EARLY and OFTEN when something goes off the rails --this
                  does not mean raising your voice nor cursing as these frequently work
                  against you
                  -Do not be afraid to call and ask for the top person in an
                  organization if you aren't getting any traction
                  -Call "head office" if you need to push it along
                  --State the facts as unemotionally as possible, however it's
                  perfectly acceptable to tell someone you are pretty upset if this is
                  how you feel BUT remember the first point in this list
                  -If you have to leave a voicemail, leave more than name and number...
                  add in the Ticket#/Work order# and what you'd like them to do before
                  they call you back. Expect a callback in 2 business days (varies by
                  industry).
                  -If you don't get a callback to a message left, call again in 2
                  business days as sometimes 1 day isn't enough for the person to have
                  made any progress on the request you left them on their voicemail
                  -Record ALL conversations in a journal including dates, times, phone
                  numbers and the basics of the chat including who committed to doing
                  what

                  73,
                  ...Vince/VE6VPD