Re: [FT897] non-Yaesu external power supply o.k.?

  • Roger J. Buffington
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 4, 2003
      Personally, I think that the FP-30 is a bad deal unless you never intend to run the rig with batteries (then why buy an 897?). The batteries cannot be used in conjunction with the FP-30. I power my rig with an external 20 amp PS and it works FB. Most users do this I suspect. A switching PS is fine. And cheap.
      de Roger, W6VZV
      barrister54@...

      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 4, 2003
        I use the MFJ-4125 25 amp supply on my FT 897 and I am pleased with it. I get no interference with it and the price was about $99 list.

        Ed Findley
        WB2KUI

      • Robert Watson
        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 4, 2003
          I use the MFJ 25 amp switching supply for powering the
          897 and battery charging. No noise whatsoever and
          very small/lightweight.
          Bob, KN4HH

          Free Pop-Up Blocker - Get it now
          http://companion.yahoo.com/
        • k9ztv@socket.net
          Message 4 of 9 , Dec 4, 2003
            Jerry . . .

            Check out the Alinco DM-330MV. It was rated high for least amount of
            switching hash by ARRL a year or so ago among the small switiching
            supplies currently available. I use it with my FT-100D when I pull it
            out of the car for portable work. Lots of features and very small.
            Would be perfect with the 897 although I personally use the internal PS.

            My opinion only . . .

            73,

            Kent Trimble, K9ZTV
            Jefferson City, MO
          • Luc Smeesters
            Message 5 of 9 , Dec 4, 2003
              Dear Jerry,

              I'm also new to the FT-897 world and, like you, I
              intended to use the jig as a base unit. For the same
              "financial" reasons and because I read so comments
              about potential "chirps" issued by the FP-30, I looked
              around to buy an alternative PSU. (Meanwhile, it seems
              the "chirp issue" has been cleared).
              The shop suggested me to buy a Manson-ep925, a
              220VAC/13,5 VDC @ 25 A. This PSU is based on a
              traditional copper wound transformer. It weights 5 kg
              and is almost twice as big as the FT-897(dimentions
              150x140x300) ! It has a fan to cool it down (automatic
              switch on), a couple of meters (V and I) and two extra
              low current outputs (usefull to power lightning and
              other low current systems nearby). To my opinion this
              unit does the job properly. You can find find pictures
              of it if you search via google. Here in Belgium it was
              sold 175 euros. Just to compare, the FP-30 locally
              sells 320 euros.
              Although this solution wouldn't fit your exact needs
              (it's a 230 VAC, not 117 !)It will allow you to derive
              the technical specs needed.
              As far as I can read it, although I don't know this
              brand of PSU it looks like the Tripp-Lite seems to fit
              the needs (13,5 VDC @ 25 A).
              Have fun with the jig (it's great) and enjoy the
              hobby.

              Luc de ON4ZI in JO20ih

              --- back_jerry <back_jerry@...> a écrit : > Hi

            • Harold Burton
              Message 6 of 9 , Dec 4, 2003
                I've also got a MFJ-4125 power supply I'm using with my new FT-857
                (originally bought with a 2M only 50 watt FT-1500M) It works fine up to
                about the 60 watt level Actually it seems to work OK all the way to 100
                watts but it hums audibly if I transmit above 60 watts, The hum is physical
                vibration from the power supply, not rf noise to the transceiver. Guess I'll
                have to buy a higher rated power supply later, but the MFJ will do for now.

                Harold
                KD5SAK

                Message 7 of 9 , Dec 7, 2003
                  Hi All,

                  I just wanted to thank everyone for the replies I received regarding
                  alternatives to the FP-30. There was a lot of valuable feedback for
                  me to consider and research--thank you for taking the time to
                  respond. In no particluar order, my gratitude goes to:

                  N4ADO, Caronie
                  ON4ZI, Luc
                  VE4RRB, Rob
                  K9ZTV, Kent
                  W6VZV, Roger
                  WB2KUI, Ed
                  KD5SAK, Harold
                  KN4HH, Bob

                  I also see that the moderator created a new poll tonight related to
                  the question of which power supply do you use to operate the FT-
                  897. I'll definitely be interested in reading the results of that
                  poll.

                  73,
                  Jerry
                  KG6PCA