Re: [FT897] Large Capacitor for mobile use

  • kc3vo@aol.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 30, 2003
      The capacitor would limit/smooth low ferquency voltage flunctuations on the
      D.C. power leads to the radio, provided it were to be properly installed,
      physically close (D.C. power leadwise) to the radio, but it will do NOTHING to
      reduce interference that comes in from the ANTENNA. Noise that is RADIATED from
      such items as the spark ignition, and/or the fuel system-injectors, fuel pump,
      computer, etc. must be dealt with at the SOURCE, either by filtering and
      bypassing the leads, or shielding the components, and grounding them for R.F.
      Incidentally, tell your son that a MUCH BETTER device to use, INSTEAD of
      the capacitor, for his stereo, is the "ACCUVOLT" regulator, from JACOBS
      ELECTRONICS, as it will maintain FULL VOLTAGE to his equipment, EVEN if the battery is
      almost DEAD, at 10 volts, as itwill STEP UP the 10 volts to 14, 15, or if
      you want, as much as 16volts! With the ACCUVOLT, it no longer makes a
      difference as to whether the engine is running or not, except that you would likely run
      down the battery if you "Crank the stereo" too long and hard, without the
      engine running, but the stereo WILL get FULL POWER just the same as if the engine
      were running and "REVVED UP" untill the battery drops DEAD.---I use an
      ACCUVOLT to power my high power mobile R.F. power amps, and it keeps a constant
      14.0 volts available during transmit, engine running or not.--73, KC3VO-Bob.

    • jfeld
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 1, 2003
        A word of caution as you experiment:
        Filters are energy storing devices. I wiped out a radio not too long ago by
        opening the power circuit (by accident) while the radio was on. Upon breaking
        the circuit, the filter inductor caused a voltage spike which took out the
        radio. An inductor and large cap together could be worse since it would store
        even more energy and could try to oscillate when the circuit is opened.

        Good luck,
        Jim KA7E

        >===== Original Message From "lowga" <les@...> =====
        >I plan to mount my FT-897 in my Toyota
        >Tacoma pickup. The vehicle suffers from
        >RFI, which I have been unable to isolate.
        >
        >A filtering kit from Radio Shack improved
        >the situation on my AM radio, and I'm thinking
        >I'll need to do something similar with the
        >FT-897.
        >
        >Wondering if anyone has ever tried using
        >one of the very large capacitors (1/2 farad
      • Darrell Koranda
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 2, 2003
          I was wondering if you installed a bonding strap between the hood and the
          body and then checked to see if the interference disappeared. KB4XJ Darrell

          >I plan to mount my FT-897 in my Toyota
          >Tacoma pickup. The vehicle suffers from
          >RFI, which I have been unable to isolate.

          >Les Rayburn, N1LF

          Share holiday photos without swamping your Inbox. Get MSN Extra Storage
          now! http://join.msn.com/?PAGE=features/es