Interesting Observation

  • nn8b
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 30 6:54 AM
      I recently had a "problem" with an FT-897D.
      I had attempted to make a splitter for the mic jack for using the mic
      and Cat control through the mic jack and free up the Cat/linear jack
      in the back for a linear cable. I must have made a wiring mistake
      and the rig had a tinny sounding CW note and SSB sounded
      a bit strange and the S meter reading did not work even after
      I removed the splitter.

      I read on this group of similar problems that were solved by returning
      the rig to factory specs. I tried this and it worked; factory reset made
      the problems go away. Prior to going to factory reset, I downloaded
      the programming into Chirp software so I could reload the programming
      if the reset worked. As I said the reset did work, however when I uploaded
      the programmiing back to the rig the problem re-appeared.

      Suspecting something in the programming was at fault, I downloaded a fresh template
      from the factory reset version and proceeded to re install the frequencies a little at
      a time to find out what caused the problem. I used copy and past for the frequency
      entries and loaded it in a bit at a time and uploaded it to the rig as I went; so far all
      was OK. I them started to duplicate the other settings and did so a little at a time and
      uploaded it to the rig. Finally all settings and frequency programming was re-programmed
      into the rig and all was well, even though the programming data and settings were exactly
      the same as when the problem happened.

      What I find interesting is, there must be more than just frequency programming
      and setting changes downloaded into the editing software because the problem
      came back after I did a factory reset and loaded the original programming back
      into the rig. Does anyone know what that data may be?

      73
      Don, NN8B
    • Joel
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 30 7:13 AM
        I don't know,  but it sure reminds me of data corruption.

        --
        KQØJ
      • YT9TP Pedja
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 30 8:43 AM
          On 30.3.2014 15:54, nn8b.oh@... wrote:
          > What I find interesting is, there must be more than just frequency
          > programming
          > and setting changes downloaded into the editing software because the problem
          > came back after I did a factory reset and loaded the original
          > programming back
          > into the rig. Does anyone know what that data may be?

          Basically, chirp reads and saves cloning data from device. It contains
          everything that FT897 sends to the clone, and that is more than just
          memories and some settings.

          Chirp does not know how to interpret all clone data, so we cannot see it
          all. When you save settings from rig and later send it back all data is
          sent back, not just those that Chirp can interpret.

          ---
        • jturning
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 30 9:42 AM

            Did you know you can use the ACC jack to key an amplifier and then use your CAT jack for rig control? This is how I'm running my station thanks to KD8WK:

            http://cboh.org/whitepapers/FT-897D/

            Keying an Amplifier

            In the original design of the FT-897, the amp keying line is brought out on one of the pins of the CAT receptacle. This is problematic, because if both an amp and a computer are attached to the rig, the CAT cable must be split off, with separate cables running to each. Fortunately, the newer model FT-897s allow the keying line to also be accessed from the ACC socket instead, where it logically belongs.

            There is an undocumented internal jumper, J1027, located on the top board near the rear of the rig, roughly straight back from the tuning knob. It is used to select what the "ring" lead of the ACC receptacle is used for. By default, this lead is used by antenna tuners and certain mobile antennas Yaesu sells to cause the rig to go into transmit for tuning. It is used, for instance, by the LDG AT-897 tuner (but not the AT-897Plus). If you remove the top of your 897D and move the jumper to its alternate position, the amp keying "relay" (actually the open collector transistor) normally accessed from a pin on the CAT cable, will be paralleled onto the "ring" lead of the ACC receptacle. This modified pin-out really makes much more sense to me: If you then connect a 1/8"-stereo-plug-to-dual-RCA-jacks "Y" connector (commonly available for audio purposes) to the ACC receptacle, the "tip" (white) RCA connector becomes the ALC connection to the amp (if you choose to use it) and the "ring" (red) RCA connector becomes the amp keying line. You no longer need to access the CAT receptacle to control the linear. That's how I run my FT-897D and I'm very happy with it. (I leave both an amp and a computer attached to mine.) Just make sure you swap the jumper back if you use the rig with one of Yaesu's auto-adjusting mobile antennas or tuners.

            N6WBL

            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 31 6:37 AM
              Yes,  the memory can become corrupted, even the frequency and settings portion and that will mess with the CPU that controls radio behavior.  It's always good to keep a copy of the properly working code plug just in case things go sideways.

              --
              John at KB0NE, amateur radio station

              Ya know those disclaimers that are at the end of some of the e-mails ya get?
              This e-mail is rife with virus, Trojans, worms and icky stuff.
              If you are reading this, then it is too late!
              I just can't
              believe people don't get it........