Re: [FT897] RE: odd random beeping during PSK31 TX, and all the audio level controls ??

  • Joel
    Message 1 of 22 , Sep 30, 2013
      I would submit that a dipole with a 1:1 center (current  or voltage)  balun performs better ( better pattern ) than one
      that has a choke coil of coax below the feed point.

      The center balun works to provide an equal signal to both sides of the antenna.

      The choke balun only serves to limit RF from traveling down the shield back to the antenna.

      There is a different reasoning for the use of each, IMO.  I use the coil method on my  portable
      6 meter dipole as I don't have a balun that is good at that frequency.  I use clamp on toroids
      at the feed point of my 6M square dipole and VHF / UHF antenna.

      I have one of these LDG / RBA baluns and it is very lightweight and good for a temp small dipole.  The
      give them out free when you buy a LDG tuner by the way.

      http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/antsup/2046.html

      I also have had good success with W2AU  baluns but they are bulkier with a higher power rating. The one
      advantage of the W2AU is that its a DC grounded design ( Trifilar ) so you do not need a separate lightning / surge
      supressor.  The RBA is just a simple toroid design.

      73

      Joel
      KQ0J

      On 9/30/2013 7:04 AM, ericbnyc@... wrote:

      Chris,

      Thanks for answering.  My point is, if I can replace a 12" diameter coil for four loops of rg213 (not rg8x, apologies for error in my previous post - i checked my cable again.  i'm still a noob, made cable purchase on recommendation of salesman.  Trusting him worked out well, but I'm still learning specs and terminology for myself...) with a single, small balun, then I'm saving alot of weight when I carry this portable, and otherwise get about 5 feet of distance/length back on my cable to my antenna.

      This method worked great for last weekend's rtty contest.  i had a great time, limited only by the life of my laptop battery.  Not radio reboots :)

      Eric - ny2eb

      ---In ft897@yahoogroups.com, <chrcoe01@...> wrote:

      Back before I made my first RF choke from coax, I always thought it was a waste of time, then I figured out how to actually make it properly after I had RF problems...  After that, I always put an RF choke at all my antennas and have never had problems afterwards.

      If you look inside a 'real balun' depending on if it's 1:1 or 4:1, you may find it is similar to the RF choke idea.  If the RF choke works well, don't go out and buy a 'real balun' just because.  If it ain't broke...

      -Chris, AD8F

      On Sun, Sep 29, 2013 at 10:47 AM, <ericbnyc@...> wrote:

      Hi all,

      Want to chime in with some similar outcomes.  Running a 897/ldg897/Signalink usb and laptop into MP-1 Superantenna.  I have no roof access so I'm always portable or at least throwing a dipole out my  second story window.  I get the beeps and also just wind up getting my radio shutdown as soon as I start transmitting - was even happening on internal battery - so that's 20 watts! Someone else had once mentioned that this was a result of rf, getting back to the radio so I was attaching ferrites to everything and getting only sporadic improvement, and just chalked it up to 'radio is an art'.  Recently I have been trying to learn more about antennas and along the way was reading about baluns and chokes, etc.  Somewhere (multiple times, really) I had seen instances of people making loops out of coax to make a choke, so I tried that.  Made 3 or 4 - 12 inch diameter loops out of one end of my 25 foot rg8x cable on the end closer to the radio (milspec, because I'm always deploying and removing it outside, so it's thicker) and let the rest run to my antenna.  Voila!  End of beeps and shut downs.  Was wondering if inserting a real balun or unun or something instead of the cable loop somewhere would have same net effect?

      Currently running at about 85 watts, but I'll continue to experiment with the power/volume/alc settings mentioned above...

      ---In ft897@yahoogroups.com, <mrk.twg@...> wrote:

      Glad to have been able to help, Chris!

      Take care,

      Matt
      KK4CPS

      No virus found in this message.

      KQØJ
    • Chris-AD8F
      Message 2 of 22 , Sep 30, 2013
        Thank you for your input Joel.  When I built my first dipole awhile back, I didn't really worry about the balun until I started having RF problems at times.  So my dipole was already built and I just used the RF choke setup to be done with it quickly.  I have recently been deciding whether or not I really want to worry about redoing it all.

        The consensus is that right now I don't NEED to worry about it because my signals seems to be received well but the efficiency of the antenna system is not as good as it can be.  Therefore, I decided I really WANT to make it as good as I can with the space I have to work with.  So I will probably end up rebuilding it eventually, but right now I'm still stuck at "if it ain't broke..." .. well a mix of that and a lack of time!

        It could be a much more efficient antenna system if I redid all of this of course, so that is a big draw to make me want to fix it up.

        -Chris, AD8F