Re: [FT897] CT-62

  • Robert Terzi
    Message 1 of 23 , Sep 11, 2013
      Sorry noticed two additional questions in KO6R's original post.

      > is it ok to extend such a cord with a USB extension?
      > 3' is just not quite enough to get from my radio to the USB port on the computer.

      Yes, even though I have the 10 ft. cable, I use a short USB extension cable
      to make sure the wider plug doesn't block any other USB ports as well as put
      the plug where I can see the RX & TX LEDs flash.

      > Q2: Has anyone used it with CHIRP?

      Yes. I've used my FTDI cable (from Valley Enterprises) with CHiRP, HRD, and FLrig.
      I've used CHiRP on both Windows and Linux.

      Make sure you get a recent build of CHiRP since there have been FT-8x7
      related improvements since the last release.

      I've also used the FT897 calibration dumper (perl script) from 0xdecafbad.com to
      save a copy of all my rig's alignment settings. Though you can do the same
      thing manually with the spreadsheet that is in the files area of either
      this yahoo group (FT897) or the FT-857 group.

      http://www.0xdecafbad.com/2009/08/ft-897857-calibration-dumper/

      Hope this helps,
      --Rob
      w2rct
    • Chris-KC8ORO
      Message 2 of 23 , Sep 11, 2013
        I was trying to decide between the 3 and 10 ft cable and decided my computer will always be within 3ft or I will have a USB hub to extend a bit.  I always hate having so much extra cable dangling behind the desk!

        It's probably a good idea to mention it so others know there's an option of the 3 or 10ft from Valley Enterprises.

        -Chris, KC8ORO

        On Wed, Sep 11, 2013 at 11:44 AM, Robert Terzi <rct-yh@...> wrote:

        On 9/11/2013 11:26 AM, Chris-KC8ORO wrote:
        > The cable I bought is this one:
        > http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0041LNISK/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
        >
        > it is FTDI and is only a couple bucks more. It's up to you in the
        > end.

        That's the Valley Enterprises cable that I bought, though I got the one that is 10 ft long

        http://www.amazon.com/FT-100-Version-Chipset-Supports-Windows/dp/B0035DV1ZM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1378914146&sr=8-1&keywords=ct-62+10+ft

        It has RX & TX LEDs built into the USB shell, which are very nice to have
        if you need to diagnose any connection issues, like choosing the wrong port.

        > I would be hesitant since they do not mention if it is prolific or FTDI.

        Agreed, save yourself the trouble in the long run by making sure you don't
        wind up with a (counterfeit) prolific chip. Every radio related group I read has
        the same messages over and over about driver problems with the prolific chips.

        Hope this helps,
        --Rob

      • ko6r
        Message 3 of 23 , Sep 13, 2013
          Thanks, Chris.  Fortunately, I use Linux, so don't need the drivers on that minidisk. I have Chirp on my desktop -- runs without being installed, and works perfectly.  Tried out the new cable yesterday--worked hitchlessly.

          73,
          Peter

          --- In FT897@yahoogroups.com, Chris-KC8ORO <chrcoe01@...> wrote:

          > Peter,
          >
          > It has a chip/board inside to convert the RS-232 to USB. The circuitry is
          > inside the USB end normally which is why it looks 'chunkier' than a
          > standard USB termination.
          >
          > The downside to that kawamall cable is that they do not seem to mention if
          > it uses Prolific chipset or FTDI for the USB drivers. prolific have a long
          > history of causing compatibility problems whereas FTDI are pretty much plug
          > and play without having to fiddle with drivers.
          >
          > The cable I bought is this one:
          > http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0041LNISK/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
          >
          > it is FTDI and is only a couple bucks more. It's up to you in the end.
          >
          > Either way, both cables should work (both have the built in circuit board
          > for RS-232->USB) but I would be hesitant since they do not mention if it is
          > prolific or FTDI. I would ask the seller and if they can't tell you (or if
          > they tell you it's prolific), I'd get the one I linked.
          >

          > -Chris, KC8ORO
          >

          > On Sun, Sep 8, 2013 at 4:46 PM, Peter Strauss <ko6r@...> wrote:
          >
          > > **
          > >

          > > I have borrowed a CT-62, have downloaded CHIRP to my Linux desktop, and
          > > have successfully connected to my FT-897. Took some doing, including
          > > trying to use a cable for a 7900 (no pass, that one uses the 6-pin, not the
          > > 8-pin, socket on the back of the rig.
          > >
          > > Having done that, I might just be in the market for a CT-62. I saw one on
          > > eBay, from Kawamall, that looks low-priced enough to suit me. It goes
          > > directly to a USB connector, whereas the borrowed cable I've been using
          > > terminates in a 232 female, and then there's an adaptor with some sort of
          > > circuit board in the 232 male.
          > >
          > > Q: Is that circuitry included somehow in the Kawamall cord? If not, is
          > > it necessary to have some sort of adaptor for a direct-to-USB cord?
          > >
          > > Q2: Has anyone used it with CHIRP?
          > >
          > > Final Q for now: is it ok to extend such a cord with a USB extension? 3'
          > > is just not quite enough to get from my radio to the USB port on the
          > > computer.
          > >
          > > Thanks very much in advance.
          > >

          > > Peter KO6R

        • Chris-KC8ORO
          Message 4 of 23 , Sep 15, 2013
            Peter,

            I too use linux and never needed the minidisk, plug and play all the way!

            I must have missed your question about using it with chirp, my fault!  Yes I use it with chirp as well, it is very handy as you already found out and it works flawlessly once I figured out you have to start the 897 in 'clone mode'.  Chirp is awesome because you can use it with nearly any radio provided you can get the radio connected to your computer.

            -Chris, KC8ORO

            On Fri, Sep 13, 2013 at 2:23 PM, ko6r <ko6r@...> wrote:

            Thanks, Chris.  Fortunately, I use Linux, so don't need the drivers on that minidisk. I have Chirp on my desktop -- runs without being installed, and works perfectly.  Tried out the new cable yesterday--worked hitchlessly.

            73,
            Peter

            --- In FT897@yahoogroups.com, Chris-KC8ORO <chrcoe01@...> wrote:

            > Peter,
            >
            > It has a chip/board inside to convert the RS-232 to USB. The circuitry is
            > inside the USB end normally which is why it looks 'chunkier' than a
            > standard USB termination.
            >
            > The downside to that kawamall cable is that they do not seem to mention if
            > it uses Prolific chipset or FTDI for the USB drivers. prolific have a long
            > history of causing compatibility problems whereas FTDI are pretty much plug
            > and play without having to fiddle with drivers.
            >
            > The cable I bought is this one:
            > http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0041LNISK/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
            >
            > it is FTDI and is only a couple bucks more. It's up to you in the end.
            >
            > Either way, both cables should work (both have the built in circuit board
            > for RS-232->USB) but I would be hesitant since they do not mention if it is
            > prolific or FTDI. I would ask the seller and if they can't tell you (or if
            > they tell you it's prolific), I'd get the one I linked.
            >

            > -Chris, KC8ORO
            >

            > On Sun, Sep 8, 2013 at 4:46 PM, Peter Strauss <ko6r@...> wrote:
            >
            > > **

            > > I have borrowed a CT-62, have downloaded CHIRP to my Linux desktop, and
            > > have successfully connected to my FT-897. Took some doing, including
            > > trying to use a cable for a 7900 (no pass, that one uses the 6-pin, not the
            > > 8-pin, socket on the back of the rig.
            > >
            > > Having done that, I might just be in the market for a CT-62. I saw one on
            > > eBay, from Kawamall, that looks low-priced enough to suit me. It goes
            > > directly to a USB connector, whereas the borrowed cable I've been using
            > > terminates in a 232 female, and then there's an adaptor with some sort of
            > > circuit board in the 232 male.
            > >
            > > Q: Is that circuitry included somehow in the Kawamall cord? If not, is
            > > it necessary to have some sort of adaptor for a direct-to-USB cord?
            > >
            > > Q2: Has anyone used it with CHIRP?
            > >
            > > Final Q for now: is it ok to extend such a cord with a USB extension? 3'
            > > is just not quite enough to get from my radio to the USB port on the
            > > computer.
            > >
            > > Thanks very much in advance.
            > >

            > > Peter KO6R

          • Michael Lavoie
            Message 5 of 23 , Sep 15, 2013

              Thew Kawamall cable uses the prolific chip. I got mine from them. I wish It had the other chip. The prolific chip is slow.

              Mike N1AMD

              On Sep 9, 2013 5:56 PM, "Peter Strauss" <ko6r@...> wrote:

              I have borrowed a CT-62, have downloaded CHIRP to my Linux desktop, and have successfully connected to my FT-897.  Took some doing, including trying to use a cable for a 7900 (no pass, that one uses the 6-pin, not the 8-pin, socket on the back of the rig.

              Having done that, I might just be in the market for a CT-62.  I saw one on eBay, from Kawamall, that looks low-priced enough to suit me.  It goes directly to a USB connector, whereas the borrowed cable I've been using terminates in a 232 female, and then there's an adaptor with some sort of circuit board in the 232 male.

              Q:  Is that circuitry included somehow in the Kawamall cord?  If not, is it necessary to have some sort of adaptor for a direct-to-USB cord?

              Q2:  Has anyone used it with CHIRP?

              Final Q for now:  is it ok to extend such a cord with a USB extension?  3' is just not quite enough to get from my radio to the USB port on the computer.

              Thanks very much in advance.

              Peter KO6R