Re: Radio coming

  • WE8ST
    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 16, 2013
      As long as nothing was messed with or broken before it should be good to go. I have the same radio with the same tuner and have never had a problem anywhere I've tried to use it. I've been able to tune almost everything I've thrown at that tuner. Just be sure your CAT setting in the menu is set to CAT and not tuner or anything else. Then be sure you're running the car cable that comes with the tuner from the CAT jack on the radio to the "radio" jack on the back of the tuner and you should be good to go. Also of course be sure to plug the antenna to the tuners antenna jack and a decent jumper going from the tuners radio jack to the HF/50 jack on the back of the radio. That should go without saying though. I think those are a great combo and you're mileage will hopefully be similar to mine.

      73, Chris - WE8ST

      Sent from my iPhone
    • KA4KOE
      Message 2 of 11 , Aug 18, 2013
        Do you have a favorite carry pack/satchel?

        Philip
      • borgia.stick
        Message 3 of 11 , Aug 18, 2013
          I would definitely have to second the suggestion RTFM!!! And, I do mean READ the manual. Here's a brief description of what happened to me because I just glossed over the page on which the Band Up/Down buttons and bands are covered.

          I noticed that there seemed to be an extra, duplicate band present as I would move up and down the bands, using the Up/Down buttons. Sometimes it would should up at 5.nnn MHz, then another time it showed up at 24.nnn MHz. Puzzled, I went back to that page in the manual, scrolled up and down through the bands, and discovered that I NEVER got to the 15 MHz band. Did a bit more playing around and discovered that I had apparently tuned one of the bands beyond its intended range, and just dropped 15 MHz off the deep end. After messing around a bit more, I FINALLY got all the proper bands to show up.

          So, as has been said READ the manual!

          --- In FT897@yahoogroups.com, Joel <hiqual@...> wrote:

          > As was said spend some quality time up front with the manual and
          > reviewing all the settings and functions / features -
          > what they do and where they are located.
          >
          > Learn the different methods for fast and slow freq tuning.
          >
          > There are a few things there that can snag you - like the IPO / ATT
          > setting and what it does.
          >
          > Understand that the FT897 hates 2 things and will act up on you with:
          > RF and Static electricity.
          >
          > - Make sure your antenna designs and placement use good engineering
          > practice to avoid RF in the
          > shack getting back into the radio. Many of us here have shared the
          > bizzare consequences of those
          >
          > - Make sure you do not zap the rig with static electricity from a finger
          > in the winter.
          >
          > Tips:
          >
          > ALWAYS , ALWAYS power down the radio with the button on the front to
          > power it off. Then turn your
          > power supply off. Never leave it on and power up and down with the PS
          > switch.
          >
          > - Learn how to do a full reset ( or at least remember that you can do
          > one when the little box gets confused from
          > getting hit with static)
          >
          > - Pick up a free SW program ( and Cat cable to your computer ) so you can :
          >
          > - Program and back up your memory settings as well as change 60M
          > freq on ch 3 if needed.
          >
          > - A rig control program like Ham Radio Deluxe will give you access
          > to a lot of the rig's settings without
          > having to fight with all those annoying menus and MF settings.
          >

          > On 8/15/2013 7:16 PM, KA4KOE wrote:
          > >
          > > Purchased an Ft897D and LDG897 tuna from a friend. Any gotchas I
          > > should worry about?
          > >
          > > Philip
          > > KA4KOE
          > >

          > > No virus found in this message.
          > >

          > --
          > KQØJ

        • zf2scka9p
          Message 4 of 11 , Aug 18, 2013
            And check the YouTube videos and the idiot manuals available too.

            I hate to admit that the most important accessory for my 897 is that
            laminated nifty manual, but in the rain, in the field, at the beach, away from
            home. is not the time to be thumbing through that thick (pun intended) Yaesu
            manual.

            but you should love the radio. I haven't been able to keep the RF out of
            the MH59 when I manpack it yet, but other than that, it's been well worth
            it.

            73 Scott

            In a message dated 8/18/2013 10:46:58 P.M. Central Daylight Time,
            borgia.stick@... writes:

            I would definitely have to second the suggestion RTFM!!! And, I do mean
            READ the manual. Here's a brief description of what happened to me because
            I just glossed over the page on which the Band Up/Down buttons and bands
            are covered.

            I noticed that there seemed to be an extra, duplicate band present as I
            would move up and down the bands, using the Up/Down buttons. Sometimes it
            would should up at 5.nnn MHz, then another time it showed up at 24.nnn MHz.
            Puzzled, I went back to that page in the manual, scrolled up and down
            through the bands, and discovered that I NEVER got to the 15 MHz band. Did a bit
            more playing around and discovered that I had apparently tuned one of the
            bands beyond its intended range, and just dropped 15 MHz off the deep end.
            After messing around a bit more, I FINALLY got all the proper bands to
            show up.

            So, as has been said READ the manual!

            --- In FT897@yahoogroups.com, Joel <hiqual@...> wrote:

            > As was said spend some quality time up front with the manual and
            > reviewing all the settings and functions / features -
            > what they do and where they are located.
            >
            > Learn the different methods for fast and slow freq tuning.
            >
            > There are a few things there that can snag you - like the IPO / ATT
            > setting and what it does.
            >
            > Understand that the FT897 hates 2 things and will act up on you with:
            > RF and Static electricity.
            >
            > - Make sure your antenna designs and placement use good engineering
            > practice to avoid RF in the
            > shack getting back into the radio. Many of us here have shared the
            > bizzare consequences of those
            >
            > - Make sure you do not zap the rig with static electricity from a finger
            > in the winter.
            >
            > Tips:
            >
            > ALWAYS , ALWAYS power down the radio with the button on the front to
            > power it off. Then turn your
            > power supply off. Never leave it on and power up and down with the PS
            > switch.
            >
            > - Learn how to do a full reset ( or at least remember that you can do
            > one when the little box gets confused from
            > getting hit with static)
            >
            > - Pick up a free SW program ( and Cat cable to your computer ) so you
            can :

            > - Program and back up your memory settings as well as change 60M
            > freq on ch 3 if needed.
            >
            > - A rig control program like Ham Radio Deluxe will give you access
            > to a lot of the rig's settings without
            > having to fight with all those annoying menus and MF settings.
            >

            > On 8/15/2013 7:16 PM, KA4KOE wrote:
            > >
            > > Purchased an Ft897D and LDG897 tuna from a friend. Any gotchas I
            > > should worry about?
            > >
            > > Philip
            > > KA4KOE
            > >

            > > No virus found in this message.
            08/15/13

            > --
            > KQØJ

          • borgia.stick
            Message 5 of 11 , Aug 18, 2013
              Sorry, guys. Failed to sign my post properly!

              Jim

              W7JCL

              --- In FT897@yahoogroups.com, "borgia.stick" <borgia.stick@...> wrote:

              > I would definitely have to second the suggestion RTFM!!! And, I do mean READ the manual. Here's a brief description of what happened to me because I just glossed over the page on which the Band Up/Down buttons and bands are covered.
              >
              > I noticed that there seemed to be an extra, duplicate band present as I would move up and down the bands, using the Up/Down buttons. Sometimes it would should up at 5.nnn MHz, then another time it showed up at 24.nnn MHz. Puzzled, I went back to that page in the manual, scrolled up and down through the bands, and discovered that I NEVER got to the 15 MHz band. Did a bit more playing around and discovered that I had apparently tuned one of the bands beyond its intended range, and just dropped 15 MHz off the deep end. After messing around a bit more, I FINALLY got all the proper bands to show up.
              >
              > So, as has been said READ the manual!
              >
              > --- In FT897@yahoogroups.com, Joel <hiqual@> wrote:
              > >
              > > As was said spend some quality time up front with the manual and
              > > reviewing all the settings and functions / features -
              > > what they do and where they are located.
              > >
              > > Learn the different methods for fast and slow freq tuning.
              > >
              > > There are a few things there that can snag you - like the IPO / ATT
              > > setting and what it does.
              > >
              > > Understand that the FT897 hates 2 things and will act up on you with:
              > > RF and Static electricity.
              > >
              > > - Make sure your antenna designs and placement use good engineering
              > > practice to avoid RF in the
              > > shack getting back into the radio. Many of us here have shared the
              > > bizzare consequences of those
              > >
              > > - Make sure you do not zap the rig with static electricity from a finger
              > > in the winter.
              > >
              > > Tips:
              > >
              > > ALWAYS , ALWAYS power down the radio with the button on the front to
              > > power it off. Then turn your
              > > power supply off. Never leave it on and power up and down with the PS
              > > switch.
              > >
              > > - Learn how to do a full reset ( or at least remember that you can do
              > > one when the little box gets confused from
              > > getting hit with static)
              > >
              > > - Pick up a free SW program ( and Cat cable to your computer ) so you can :
              > >
              > > - Program and back up your memory settings as well as change 60M
              > > freq on ch 3 if needed.
              > >
              > > - A rig control program like Ham Radio Deluxe will give you access
              > > to a lot of the rig's settings without
              > > having to fight with all those annoying menus and MF settings.
              > >

              > > On 8/15/2013 7:16 PM, KA4KOE wrote:
              > > >
              > > > Purchased an Ft897D and LDG897 tuna from a friend. Any gotchas I
              > > > should worry about?
              > > >
              > > > Philip
              > > > KA4KOE
              > > >

              > > > No virus found in this message.
              > > >

              > > --
              > > KQØJ

            • harlikwin667
              Message 6 of 11 , Aug 19, 2013
                Hi Phillip,

                I typically play on the the milpack side of the house, but have found that the british radio pack works just fine for the FT897. Especially if you have some sort "wrapper" for the 897. Just strap in the 897 to the top portion, and you can use the bottom area for a battery pack or other ancilliaries. Also do you plan on using the radio as true manpack, or just man-portable? If its just man-portable I just throw the 897 in whatever pack I'm using and go.

                In reality I have found that the 897 with its internal batts weighs nearly as much as the milpacks, though its a bit more compact, and while much more versatile, it isn't nearly as durable. Probably things you already know though.

                -Cheers
                -Roman KD0PUJ