Re: [FT897] Issue with HRD FT-897 and AT-897plus

  • KenW
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 30 6:12 PM
      On Mon, 29 Jul 2013 13:20:30 -0000, you wrote:

      >I'm having an issue while transmitting on my FT-897D when I'm connected to HRD. When I transmit, it switches back and forth to "fast tuning" mode, (guy running on the screen) and beeps like "fast tuning" is being turned on and off. Now it only happens when I talk into the mic. If I just key the mic, it doesn't happen. Also, if I disconnect HRD, it doesn't happen and works just fine. Here's what I have in my set up.
      >
      >FT-897D
      >AT-897plus attached to 897d
      >fp-30b internal power supply
      >rt-systems program cable from ADMS-4BU yaesu kit
      >
      >using the http://www.earchi.org/proj_homebrew.html antenna that I bought from the club.
      >
      >The CAT is set at 4800 baud and I'm using the tuner to tune the end-fed antenna. I'm using the pass through on the antenna tuner to the computer. The computer controls the radio just fine. Everything seems to work, except when I key up the mic and talk, it has this strange behavior. Anyone else see anything like this? Anyone have any solutions to try?
      >
      >Jason N0JAV

      Your getting RF in the shack. Hard to say how it's getting in, but I
      would suspect the computer first if when it's turned off, you don't have
      the problem.

      Ken...W2BDP
      Brighton,Colorado
    • Jirka MWW
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 31 9:27 AM
        Hi Jason,

        try to put ferrite clips to all cables around your computer ( mouse,
        keyboard...)

        73! Jiri OK1MWW

        --
        Zdravi
        Jirka OK1MWW

      • Jeff
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 1, 2013
          YES, I have developed the same problem. Not sure what HRD is. Mine was also beeping when I was speaking. I was advised by Yaesu that I was getting RF back into the receiver so I am getting a current balun to install in the coax just before it enters into the radio. Mine was only doing this on 20 meter at 100 watts. when I reduced power to 40 watts it was OK. I noticed it was doing the same thing on 40 meters last night without the beeping. I will let you know how the balun works, should get it today via UPS.

          Good luck to us both,
          Jeff Winship N0OXK

          --- In FT897@yahoogroups.com, Jirka MWW <jirka.mww@...> wrote:

          > Hi Jason,
          >
          > try to put ferrite clips to all cables around your computer ( mouse,
          > keyboard...)
          >
          > 73! Jiri OK1MWW
          >

          > 2013/7/29 vettman1jv <vettman1@...>
          >
          > > **
          > >

          > > I'm having an issue while transmitting on my FT-897D when I'm connected to
          > > HRD. When I transmit, it switches back and forth to "fast tuning" mode,
          > > (guy running on the screen) and beeps like "fast tuning" is being turned on
          > > and off. Now it only happens when I talk into the mic. If I just key the
          > > mic, it doesn't happen. Also, if I disconnect HRD, it doesn't happen and
          > > works just fine. Here's what I have in my set up.
          > >
          > > FT-897D
          > > AT-897plus attached to 897d
          > > fp-30b internal power supply
          > > rt-systems program cable from ADMS-4BU yaesu kit
          > >
          > > using the http://www.earchi.org/proj_homebrew.html antenna that I bought
          > > from the club.
          > >
          > > The CAT is set at 4800 baud and I'm using the tuner to tune the end-fed
          > > antenna. I'm using the pass through on the antenna tuner to the computer.
          > > The computer controls the radio just fine. Everything seems to work, except
          > > when I key up the mic and talk, it has this strange behavior. Anyone else
          > > see anything like this? Anyone have any solutions to try?
          > >
          > > Jason N0JAV
          > >

          > --
          > Zdravi
          > Jirka OK1MWW

        • Butch Bussen
          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 5, 2013
            I had lots and lots of rf when I put up a windom some time back. I got
            the b2kliso from the following link
            http://www.packetradio.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=49&products_id=1938&zenid=j9kg9kcff6o1j50kn1573ibur0

            Absolutely magic, rf was gone.
            73
            Butch
            WA0VJR
            Node 3148
            Wallace, ks.

            On
            Thu, 1 Aug 2013, Jeff wrote:

            > YES, I have developed the same problem. Not sure what HRD is. Mine was also beeping when I was speaking. I was advised by Yaesu that I was getting RF back into the receiver so I am getting a current balun to install in the coax just before it enters into the radio. Mine was only doing this on 20 meter at 100 watts. when I reduced power to 40 watts it was OK. I noticed it was doing the same thing on 40 meters last night without the beeping. I will let you know how the balun works, should get it today via UPS.
            >
            > Good luck to us both,
            > Jeff Winship N0OXK
            >

            > --- In FT897@yahoogroups.com, Jirka MWW <jirka.mww@...> wrote:
            >>
            >> Hi Jason,
            >>
            >> try to put ferrite clips to all cables around your computer ( mouse,
            >> keyboard...)
            >>
            >> 73! Jiri OK1MWW
            >>

            >> 2013/7/29 vettman1jv <vettman1@...>
            >>
            >>> **
            >>>

            >>> I'm having an issue while transmitting on my FT-897D when I'm connected to
            >>> HRD. When I transmit, it switches back and forth to "fast tuning" mode,
            >>> (guy running on the screen) and beeps like "fast tuning" is being turned on
            >>> and off. Now it only happens when I talk into the mic. If I just key the
            >>> mic, it doesn't happen. Also, if I disconnect HRD, it doesn't happen and
            >>> works just fine. Here's what I have in my set up.
            >>>
            >>> FT-897D
            >>> AT-897plus attached to 897d
            >>> fp-30b internal power supply
            >>> rt-systems program cable from ADMS-4BU yaesu kit
            >>>
            >>> using the http://www.earchi.org/proj_homebrew.html antenna that I bought
            >>> from the club.
            >>>
            >>> The CAT is set at 4800 baud and I'm using the tuner to tune the end-fed
            >>> antenna. I'm using the pass through on the antenna tuner to the computer.
            >>> The computer controls the radio just fine. Everything seems to work, except
            >>> when I key up the mic and talk, it has this strange behavior. Anyone else
            >>> see anything like this? Anyone have any solutions to try?
            >>>
            >>> Jason N0JAV
            >>>

            >> --
            >> Zdravi
            >> Jirka OK1MWW

          • Jeff
            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 7, 2013
              Hey Butch,
              Thanks for the info. Looks like a great current balun isolator. I got one of the MFJ ones and it works great also and a bit less expensive, however the one you got has a MUCH great range and capacity. GUD info FB
              73

              Jeff N0OXK

              --- In FT897@yahoogroups.com, Butch Bussen <butchb@...> wrote:

              > I had lots and lots of rf when I put up a windom some time back. I got
              > the b2kliso from the following link
              > http://www.packetradio.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=49&products_id=1938&zenid=j9kg9kcff6o1j50kn1573ibur0
              >
              > Absolutely magic, rf was gone.
              > 73
              > Butch
              > WA0VJR
              > Node 3148
              > Wallace, ks.
              >

              > On
              > Thu, 1 Aug 2013, Jeff wrote:
              >

              > > YES, I have developed the same problem. Not sure what HRD is. Mine was also beeping when I was speaking. I was advised by Yaesu that I was getting RF back into the receiver so I am getting a current balun to install in the coax just before it enters into the radio. Mine was only doing this on 20 meter at 100 watts. when I reduced power to 40 watts it was OK. I noticed it was doing the same thing on 40 meters last night without the beeping. I will let you know how the balun works, should get it today via UPS.
              > >
              > > Good luck to us both,
              > > Jeff Winship N0OXK
              > >
              > > Yahoo! Groups Links

            • Jeff
              Message 6 of 8 , Aug 16, 2013
                Jason, Just as an update.

                I was having the same problem and also a few other issues so I sent the radio to Yaesu. They have put some internal RF chokes in the radio to help block the RFI. I have also purchased a MFJ-915 current isolator that connects right at the antenna input. I have not gotten the radio back yet because they are working on the other issues. I will give a report afrter it comes back and maybe take a picture of their added chokes.

                73
                Jeff N0OXK

                --- In FT897@yahoogroups.com, Jirka MWW <jirka.mww@...> wrote:

                > Hi Jason,
                >
                > try to put ferrite clips to all cables around your computer ( mouse,
                > keyboard...)
                >
                > 73! Jiri OK1MWW
                >

                > 2013/7/29 vettman1jv <vettman1@...>
                >
                > > **
                > >

                > > I'm having an issue while transmitting on my FT-897D when I'm connected to
                > > HRD. When I transmit, it switches back and forth to "fast tuning" mode,
                > > (guy running on the screen) and beeps like "fast tuning" is being turned on
                > > and off. Now it only happens when I talk into the mic. If I just key the
                > > mic, it doesn't happen. Also, if I disconnect HRD, it doesn't happen and
                > > works just fine. Here's what I have in my set up.
                > >
                > > FT-897D
                > > AT-897plus attached to 897d
                > > fp-30b internal power supply
                > > rt-systems program cable from ADMS-4BU yaesu kit
                > >
                > > using the http://www.earchi.org/proj_homebrew.html antenna that I bought
                > > from the club.
                > >
                > > The CAT is set at 4800 baud and I'm using the tuner to tune the end-fed
                > > antenna. I'm using the pass through on the antenna tuner to the computer.
                > > The computer controls the radio just fine. Everything seems to work, except
                > > when I key up the mic and talk, it has this strange behavior. Anyone else
                > > see anything like this? Anyone have any solutions to try?
                > >
                > > Jason N0JAV
                > >

                > --
                > Zdravi
                > Jirka OK1MWW

              • vettman1jv
                Message 7 of 8 , Aug 18, 2013
                  Jeff,
                  I look forward to hearing what you find.

                  Jason
                  N0JAV