Re: 897d dies when mic is plugged in

  • Brian C. Reed
    Message 1 of 17 , Jul 29, 2013
      I was trying to start the radio with the mic plugged in and it would automatically turn off in about a second. The same thing happens when I try plugging in the mic after the radio is already turned on. It will stay on for 30+ minutes with no mic and it receives signals. I have no AC or battery power supply to test it, but the previous owner said he had no issues.

      Brian
      KJ4UAC
    • Chris Robinson
      Message 2 of 17 , Sep 21, 2013
        I have also recently experienced this issue. I had the original hand mic go bad on me. so when I received the replacement I plugged it in and had same issue that the radio just shuts off. no mic plugged in not problem. I also found this to be true if you use a standard cat 5E cable as an exstention. it did not matter if there was something on the other end of the cable, the cat 5E was a new cable out of bag about 3 feet long, as soon as I plugged in one side of cable radio shuts down.
        Back tot eh mic issue, I do not know what causes this, there is nothing wrong with the radio, I think this is a fail safe feature that is not listed anywhere. What is guarding against I have no clue. When I plugged the replacement mic in, No issues though. With the MD-100 desk mic I also noticed that the up down controls will work fine, but if I hold the the switch into up or down mode as if trying to make it go faster then one click at a time, it also shut the radio down.

         I will be contacting Yaesu about this, I will let you know how it goes once I have an answer!

        --
        Making life hell for others since 1973

        Mr.C.Robinson
         73 DE KF6NFW
      • Dennis Smith

          Message 4 of 17 , Sep 21, 2013
            you would be correct about the cat 5e cable, I know the difference as I build my cables. I was using a straight cable, and it shut down with nothing attached to it but the radio.

             As for the mic, if you look up the mic it will tell you it is designed and works well with the Yaesu FT- 897, I am sure there are some things that are not the same. but the mic does work just fine for the rig. up down freq. works with the thumb switch on the mic base.

            There is conflicting information about the use of this mic on the FT-897d, but I have yet to find a real reason as to why not to use it. If the only issues i have is the radio shutting down when I try to do a fast scan from mic, I think I can deal with that.

            Message 5 of 17 , Sep 21, 2013
              The manual states the MD100 was designed for the FT1000MP and FT900, it
              does state it may work with other rigs, but the scan function might not
              work. It's a good mic and I have investigated the idea of making a junction
              box to make it more compatible.

              Dennis Smith
              M1DLG

              [image: Inline images 1]

              --

              Dennis Smith
              M1DLG

              Message 6 of 17 , Sep 21, 2013
                I have been using the MD-100 with my FT-897D for some time now. I have no problems and get excellent audio with it,
                Walt - W2EVU

                Walter J. Stauffer
                7532 North Ontario St.
                Sodus Point, NY 14555
                Tel. 315.483.4190

                Message 7 of 17 , Sep 21, 2013
                  Walt
                  Could you tell me the SSB mic level setting (menu 80-something from
                  memory) also the ALC drive setting and the MD100 underside switches
                  please.

                  Thanks
                  Dave H G0CER

                  On 21.09.2013 21:38, barramunda@... wrote:
                  > I have been using the MD-100 with my FT-897D for some time now. I
                  > have no problems and get excellent audio with it,
                  > Walt - W2EVU
                  >
                  > Walter J. Stauffer
                • Jeff
                  Message 8 of 17 , Sep 22, 2013
                    >On 21 September 2013 17:02, Chris Robinson <kf6nfw@... <mailto:kf6nfw@...> > wrote:
                    >
                    > . With the MD-100 desk mic I also noticed that the up down controls will work fine, but if I hold the the switch into up or down mode as if trying >to make it go faster then one click at a time, it also shut the radio down.

                    On the stock mike holding the fast (FST) key is a way of turning the radio off, so this may be correct operation.

                    73
                    Jeff G8HUL
                  • oe9fwv
                    Message 9 of 17 , Sep 22, 2013
                      you could try to plug in a network cable which should not make any electrical connection. If the radio shuts down I suspect a problem in the microphone jack of the radio. Closely check the connector if you can find any bent pins.

                      --- In FT897@yahoogroups.com, "Brian C. Reed" <brianreed85@...> wrote:

                      > I was trying to start the radio with the mic plugged in and it would automatically turn off in about a second. The same thing happens when I try plugging in the mic after the radio is already turned on. It will stay on for 30+ minutes with no mic and it receives signals. I have no AC or battery power supply to test it, but the previous owner said he had no issues.
                      >
                      > Brian
                      > KJ4UAC

                    • Andy Gardner
                      Message 10 of 17 , Sep 22, 2013
                        If the radio shuts down when the unterminated ethernet cable is plugged in, it could be caused by RFI on the cable.

                      • barramunda@juno.com
                        Message 11 of 17 , Sep 22, 2013
                          I am at a poor location at my QTH so I have the SSB mike gain (mem 81) set at 100.
                          Walt - W2EVU

                          Walter J. Stauffer
                          7532 North Ontario St.
                          Sodus Point, NY 14555
                          Tel. 315.483.4190

                          Could you tell me the SSB mic level setting (menu 80-something from
                          memory) also the ALC drive setting and the MD100 underside switches
                          please.

                          Thanks
                          Dave H G0CER

                          On 21.09.2013 21:38, barramunda@... wrote:
                          > I have been using the MD-100 with my FT-897D for some time now. I
                          > have no problems and get excellent audio with it,
                          > Walt - W2EVU
                          >
                          > Walter J. Stauffer

                        • John Murphy
                          Message 12 of 17 , Sep 22, 2013

                            RFI from where?  The original post said he had the radio in receive.

                            73 de KCØJPO/AFA8JP
                            John Murphy, B.S. C.J.; B.S. BusMgmt; MBA Marketing

                            GMRS Licensee WQOW801

                            PopComm Monitoring Station KPC0JPO
                            "When all else fails...Amateur Radio"

                            PIO Adams County (CO) ARES

                            ARES/RACES/AFMARS Nothwest Area, Region 8

                            USAF Security Police, 1973-84

                            Owner, Oil Country Radio’s

                            701-421-1134

                            Business Email: ocr58763@...

                            Personal Email: jmurphy7411@...

                            Message 13 of 17 , Sep 22, 2013
                              There was a 2nd poster who claimed having a radio shut down when a plain ethernet cable was plugged in, IIRC.

                              The poster before me also pointed to possible connector issues if a plain ethernet cable caused problems, I just suggested a possible other cause.