Re: [FT897] Re: "Redneck" Faraday Cage

  • Leon Robinson
    Message 1 of 27 , Jul 3 12:31 PM
      That says that the Samsung has a more sensitive receiver.

      Leon Robinson    K5JLR

      Political Correctness is a Political Disease.

      Message 2 of 27 , Jul 3 4:46 PM
        Wouldn't be at all surprised. Both were about the same vintage--3 years ago. But, the LG was essentially a Tracfone ONLY, with limited (and expensive) Internet capabilities. The Samsung, on the other hand, is a "smartphone", with all the attendant capabilities---web, Email, texting.

        By the way, the Samsung is unlocked and rooted, and I am using it via Straightalk--the ST-supplied SIM is for the AT&T network. The LG also has a SIM for AT&T. But, BOTH are worlds cheaper that getting a newer phone (and 2 yr. contract) from AT&T

        Not trying to do a commercial! Just explaining their operating circumstances.

        Jim
        W7JCL

        --- In FT897@yahoogroups.com, Leon Robinson <leon-robinson@...> wrote:

        > That says that the Samsung has a more sensitive receiver.
        >
        > Leon Robinson    K5JLR
        >
        > Political Correctness is a Political Disease.

      • D.J.J. Ring, Jr.
        Message 3 of 27 , Jul 3 5:13 PM
          Microwave.

          I just did the same thing, but my cell phone no longer works.

          How many minutes did you set the microwave for?

          73

          DR

        • ceo@andygardner.com
          Message 4 of 27 , Jul 3 5:52 PM
            On 4/07/2013, at 12:13 PM, D.J.J. Ring, Jr. wrote:

            > Microwave.
            >
            > I just did the same thing, but my cell phone no longer works.
            >
            > How many minutes did you set the microwave for?

            Let me guess. You're here all week? :^)
          • borgia.stick
            Message 5 of 27 , Jul 3 10:17 PM
              FUNNY!!!!! Best laugh of the day!

              73's

              Jim
              W7JCL

              --- In FT897@yahoogroups.com, "D.J.J. Ring, Jr." <n1ea@...> wrote:

              > Microwave.
              >
              > I just did the same thing, but my cell phone no longer works.
              >
              > How many minutes did you set the microwave for?
              >
              > 73
              >
              > DR
              > On Jul 3, 2013 12:34 AM, "borgia.stick" <borgia.stick@...> wrote:
              >
              > > H/C industry? Health care? Didn't follow your abbreviation, but I
              > > certainly appreciate the suggestion about the tape.
              > >
              > > However, I'm not sure if I would totally trust the microwave oven for
              > > protection. I tried an experiment that someone else proposed, with cell
              > > phones and a microwave. I have a 6 yr. old Maytag microwave and 2 cell
              > > phones: a Tracfone LG-800G and a Samsung Galaxy Captivate. Both phones use
              > > the AT&T network. First placed the LG in the oven and called it on the
              > > Samsung. The call did not go through.
              > >
              > > Next, I put the Samsung in the oven and called it from the LG. It rang!
              > >
              > > Just an opinion.
              > >
              > > --- In FT897@yahoogroups.com, false <jbwinship@> wrote:
              > > >
              > > > A metal trash can seems to be an easy cage. I would add using metal tape
              > > like used in H/C industry to seal the lid to can with. Here is a
              > > possible alternative.
              > > >
              > > > If you have an old microwave oven that does not work anymore, use that
              > > for your Faraday cage. It is already designed to keep microwaves in the
              > > chamber. So it is also designed to keep microwaves from entering the
              > > chamber. Some of the large microwaves can hold quite a bit of equipment and
              > > you can keep them on a shelf and open and close them very easily
              > > >
              > > > I have three of them and most of my spare radios and other electronic
              > > equipment are stored there when not in use.
              > > > Jeff N0OXK

            • borgia.stick
              Message 6 of 27 , Jul 3 10:21 PM
                On a more serious note....But I LOVED the "how many minutes" post!

                Anyway.... I plan to try the same cell phone experiment using a galvanized garbage can. I'll post results afterwards.

                Jim
                W7JCL