Re: [FT897] What's the best optional SSB filter for the 897D ?

  • Jason Turning
    Message 1 of 12 , Jun 25, 2013
      I have the 2.3 KHz SSB filter and the 500 Hz CW filter offered by W4RT,
      Collins. The CW filter is definitely worth the money. The SSB filter helps a
      little in crowded bands, but I would think a narrower one would be better. If I
      had it to do over again I think I'd pick up the 2000 Hz Inrad. If you don't do
      digital modes you might pick up the 300 Hz CW one for CW.

      Jason - N6WBL

      On 06/25/13 15:04, Joel wrote:
      > Good question! I wonder that myself. I have a suspicion that they are
      > really not worth the extra money but would love to hear the comments and if
      > you use one what type of operating you do where that helps you make contacts
      > that you would not have made.
      >
      > I have been more thinking of the CW filter for Digital and CW myself. but
      > wonder if that is worth the cost.
      >

      > On 6/25/2013 4:40 PM, billdillstrom wrote:
      >>
      >> I have heard several opinions on whats the best choice for the optional
      >> SSB filter....some say Collins...some say IRC....Anyone have any
      >> comments....I have my 897D equipped with the internal PS...and the Yaesu
      >> FC-30 tuner....so with the exception of the internal batteries I guess
      >> thats the only remaining set of options. I decided to pass on the internal
      >> batteries....its an interesting idea...but I have heard they don't last
      >> long. And of course they are rather expsnsive and you need the charger
      >> too....I guess I will do portable with a deep cycle marine battery when
      >> out in the "boonies". I also have been considering an Outbacker "Perth"
      >> with the Outbacker tripod for a portable antenna. Anyone using this
      >> antenna combo, and how do you like it ?
    • dmaley88
      Message 2 of 12 , Jun 25, 2013
        You're right about the INRAD filter.
        and now the rest of the story.......
        The 2000Hz inrad is really a Collins filter designed for telephone equipment. Because of this, the spec is different. For HF use, its really a 2.1KHz filter. This has been their standard for the last 60 years. Recommend that if you use this filter that you go into the user setup menu and set your receive and xmit passband for around 300Hz to 2.4KHz. Upper and lower sideband are set separately and since each uses the opposite slope of the filter, can have different values to get the same pitch.
        Dave
        WA0ZZG

      • buddken@ymail.com
        Message 3 of 12 , Jun 25, 2013
          hi ken here,I tried the ssb filter and although it did quieten the hash VERY slightly,its NOT worth the COST £107 3yrs ago,save your money,regards,ken m3zkb
          --- In FT897@yahoogroups.com, Joel <hiqual@...> wrote:

          > Good question! I wonder that myself. I have a suspicion that they are
          > really not worth
          > the extra money but would love to hear the comments and if you use one
          > what type of
          > operating you do where that helps you make contacts that you would not
          > have made.
          >
          > I have been more thinking of the CW filter for Digital and CW myself.
          > but wonder if that
          > is worth the cost.
          >

          > On 6/25/2013 4:40 PM, billdillstrom wrote:
          > >
          > > I have heard several opinions on whats the best choice for the
          > > optional SSB filter....some say Collins...some say IRC....Anyone have
          > > any comments....I have my 897D equipped with the internal PS...and the
          > > Yaesu FC-30 tuner....so with the exception of the internal batteries I
          > > guess thats the only remaining set of options. I decided to pass on
          > > the internal batteries....its an interesting idea...but I have heard
          > > they don't last long. And of course they are rather expsnsive and you
          > > need the charger too....I guess I will do portable with a deep cycle
          > > marine battery when out in the "boonies". I also have been considering
          > > an Outbacker "Perth" with the Outbacker tripod for a portable antenna.
          > > Anyone using this antenna combo, and how do you like it ?
          > >

          > > No virus found in this message.
          > >

          > --
          > KQØJ

        • jamespgrove
          Message 4 of 12 , Jun 25, 2013
            I have the YF-122S filter in my FT-897D and it does make a small difference but the standard filter in the FT-897D is almost as good and in my opinion it isnt worth the money they charge for it. Its best use is when theres a bit of a pile up and you can pick the strong signal out, but like i said its very slight, theres a youtube video of the filter in use if you have a search.

            Cheers

            Jim M6BXG

            --- In FT897@yahoogroups.com, "buddken@..." <buddken@...> wrote:

            > hi ken here,I tried the ssb filter and although it did quieten the hash VERY slightly,its NOT worth the COST £107 3yrs ago,save your money,regards,ken m3zkb
            > --- In FT897@yahoogroups.com, Joel <hiqual@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Good question! I wonder that myself. I have a suspicion that they are
            > > really not worth
            > > the extra money but would love to hear the comments and if you use one
            > > what type of
            > > operating you do where that helps you make contacts that you would not
            > > have made.
            > >
            > > I have been more thinking of the CW filter for Digital and CW myself.
            > > but wonder if that
            > > is worth the cost.
            > >

            > > On 6/25/2013 4:40 PM, billdillstrom wrote:
            > > >
            > > > I have heard several opinions on whats the best choice for the
            > > > optional SSB filter....some say Collins...some say IRC....Anyone have
            > > > any comments....I have my 897D equipped with the internal PS...and the
            > > > Yaesu FC-30 tuner....so with the exception of the internal batteries I
            > > > guess thats the only remaining set of options. I decided to pass on
            > > > the internal batteries....its an interesting idea...but I have heard
            > > > they don't last long. And of course they are rather expsnsive and you
            > > > need the charger too....I guess I will do portable with a deep cycle
            > > > marine battery when out in the "boonies". I also have been considering
            > > > an Outbacker "Perth" with the Outbacker tripod for a portable antenna.
            > > > Anyone using this antenna combo, and how do you like it ?
            > > >

            > > > No virus found in this message.
            > > >

            > > --
            > > KQØJ

          • Chris
            Message 5 of 12 , Jun 26, 2013
              I have the 2.3 kHz INRAD filter. I prefer it slightly to the standard 2.4 kHz filter that is permanently in the radio. To me the sound is a little different and I prefer it, although to my ears neither seems to be a better filter than the other. The tone or pitch is just a little different, to my ears I can pull a slightly weaker signal out of the noise with the 2.3 INRAD than with the stock filter. Other ears could have the opposite experience. For all I know some other adjustments would let me get more out of the 2.3 INRAD, I tend to set things and leave them. I bought my radio used and it came with the 2.3 INRAD. I prefer it so I continue to use it but if somebody took it out of the radio when I wasn't looking I'm not sure that I'd even notice. I have heard first hand that the 300 Hz CW INRAD filter is very good.

              Chris AK4SK

              --- In FT897@yahoogroups.com, "dmaley88" <dgmaley@...> wrote:

              > You're right about the INRAD filter.
              > and now the rest of the story.......
              > The 2000Hz inrad is really a Collins filter designed for telephone equipment. Because of this, the spec is different. For HF use, its really a 2.1KHz filter. This has been their standard for the last 60 years. Recommend that if you use this filter that you go into the user setup menu and set your receive and xmit passband for around 300Hz to 2.4KHz. Upper and lower sideband are set separately and since each uses the opposite slope of the filter, can have different values to get the same pitch.
              > Dave
              > WA0ZZG
              >

              > --- In FT897@yahoogroups.com, Jason Turning <jturning@> wrote:
              > >

              > > I have the 2.3 KHz SSB filter and the 500 Hz CW filter offered by W4RT,
              > > Collins. The CW filter is definitely worth the money. The SSB filter helps a
              > > little in crowded bands, but I would think a narrower one would be better. If I
              > > had it to do over again I think I'd pick up the 2000 Hz Inrad. If you don't do
              > > digital modes you might pick up the 300 Hz CW one for CW.
              > >
              > > Jason - N6WBL
              > >
              > > On 06/25/13 15:04, Joel wrote:
              > > > Good question! I wonder that myself. I have a suspicion that they are
              > > > really not worth the extra money but would love to hear the comments and if
              > > > you use one what type of operating you do where that helps you make contacts
              > > > that you would not have made.
              > > >
              > > > I have been more thinking of the CW filter for Digital and CW myself. but
              > > > wonder if that is worth the cost.

            • Carl Wulfestieg
              Message 6 of 12 , Jun 26, 2013
                Chris-
                It seems that there could be some confusion about the use or necessity of the "Collins Filters".

                Filters:
                The question is not about "tone" but about "attenuation". Also, the question really is "what do they do", and do you NEED what they do. The filters provide a narrower receiving bandwidth. You may be trying to receive and hear a weak signal. If there is a strong signal close to the weak signal, then the strong signal will cause attenuation of both signals, and it will be hard to hear the weak signal. If you have a narrower receiving bandwidth because you are using a filter, you can tune in the weaker signal and the stronger signal will be "outside" of the bandwidth, so the weak signal won't be attenuated and it will be easier to hear it. That's basically what they are used for. If you're not into SSB, you don't need the SSB filter. If you're not into CW, you don't need the CW filter. Also, rather than Yaesu as a source, you may want to consider the following because of more favorable pricing and better operation. Inrad is OK also but I am not familiar with them. I am familiar with the following.

                Go to W4RT: http://www.w4rt.com

                Click Yaesu Accessories, then click FT-897 picture, then click filter picture; read the info - good info on filter installation, etc.

                For SSB you need 2300Hz OPF-Y-SSB ($134)
                Useful for filtering out strong signals adjacent to the signal you want to hear. Stops the strong signal from causing the attenuation of the weaker signal that you want to hear.

                For CW you need 500Hz OPF-Y-CW-500 ($114)
                OR 300Hz OPF-Y-CW-300 ($119)
                Useful for filtering out strong signals adjacent to the signal you want to hear. Stops the strong signal from causing the attenuation of the weaker signal that you want to hear. The 300Hz filter is just a narrower bandwidth. Some people don't care for the 300Hz filter because they say it "rings" more than the 500Hz filter. People who are into contests sometimes prefer the 300Hz filter. Even though they are for "CW", they could be used for PSK also.

                Note: You can buy an SSB filter and a CW filter for $244 or $249 (save $4) depending on which CW filter you choose. It looks like there is free shipping at this time if you spend $125 or more.

                Good Luck!

                73 Carl WZ4CW

              • D.J.J. Ring, Jr.
                Message 7 of 12 , Jun 26, 2013
                  Very nicely done, Carl.

                  But to the fellow asking the question and many of us, since the FT897 comes
                  with a SSB filter already, Your advice that "you need" is really the
                  question!

                  For SSB you need 2300Hz OPF-Y-SSB ($134)
                  Useful for filtering out strong signals adjacent to the signal you
                  want to hear. Stops the strong signal from causing the attenuation of the
                  weaker signal that you want to hear.

                  Do you really need the SSB 2300 Hz OPF-Y-SSB (or other) filter?

                  I would say "No" to the SSB filter but "Yes" to the CW filter, and someone
                  mentioned that 500 Hz filter would be best if digital modes are anticipated.

                  As a matter of curiosity to me and probably others, which digital modes
                  would be hurt by the selection of 300 Hz filter? Or which digital modes
                  have a bandwidth of between 300 Hz and 500 Hz?

                  Thanks!

                  73
                  David J. Ring, Jr., N1EA <http://www.qsl.net/n1ea/> Radio-Officers
                  Group<http://groups.google.com/group/radio-officers?hl=en>-- Join
                  Morse Recordings <http://tiny.cc/n1ea>
                  *Gopher Hole:* gopher://sdf.org/1/users/djringjr/ (native or with
                  Firefox's Overbite extension) or via http to gopher
                  gateway<http://gopher.floodgap.com/gopher/gw?gopher://sdf.org/1/users/djringjr/>
                  *C**hat* Skype: djringjr MSN: djringjr (@) msn.com AIM: N1EA icq: 27380609

                  =30=

                  On Wed, Jun 26, 2013 at 9:36 AM, Carl Wulfestieg <ag4ls@...> wrote:

                  > Chris-
                  > It seems that there could be some confusion about the use or necessity
                  > of the "Collins Filters".
                  >
                  > Filters:
                  > The question is not about "tone" but about "attenuation". Also, the
                  > question really is "what do they do", and do you NEED what they do. The
                  > filters provide a narrower receiving bandwidth. You may be trying to
                  > receive and hear a weak signal. If there is a strong signal close to the
                  > weak signal, then the strong signal will cause attenuation of both signals,
                  > and it will be hard to hear the weak signal. If you have a narrower
                  > receiving bandwidth because you are using a filter, you can tune in the
                  > weaker signal and the stronger signal will be "outside" of the bandwidth,
                  > so the weak signal won't be attenuated and it will be easier to hear it.
                  > That's basically what they are used for. If you're not into SSB, you
                  > don't need the SSB filter. If you're not into CW, you don't need the CW
                  > filter. Also, rather than Yaesu as a source, you may want to consider the
                  > following because of more favorable pricing and better operation. Inrad is
                  > OK also but I am not familiar with them. I am familiar with the following.
                  >
                  > Go to W4RT: http://www.w4rt.com
                  >
                  > Click Yaesu Accessories, then click FT-897 picture, then click filter
                  > picture; read the info - good info on filter installation, etc.
                  >
                  > For SSB you need 2300Hz OPF-Y-SSB ($134)
                  > Useful for filtering out strong signals adjacent to the signal you
                  > want to hear. Stops the strong signal from causing the attenuation of the
                  > weaker signal that you want to hear.
                  >
                  > For CW you need 500Hz OPF-Y-CW-500 ($114)
                  > OR 300Hz OPF-Y-CW-300 ($119)
                  > Useful for filtering out strong signals adjacent to the signal
                  > you want to hear. Stops the strong signal from causing the attenuation of
                  > the weaker signal that you want to hear. The 300Hz filter is just a
                  > narrower bandwidth. Some people don't care for the 300Hz filter because
                  > they say it "rings" more than the 500Hz filter. People who are into
                  > contests sometimes prefer the 300Hz filter. Even though they are for "CW",
                  > they could be used for PSK also.
                  >
                  > Note: You can buy an SSB filter and a CW filter for $244 or $249 (save $4)
                  > depending on which CW filter you choose. It looks like there is free
                  > shipping at this time if you spend $125 or more.
                  >
                  > Good Luck!
                  >
                  > 73 Carl WZ4CW

                • Joel
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jun 26, 2013
                    On the 500 vs 300 - the reason I would consider the 500 is that it would
                    give
                    me a bigger slice of the digital portion so I do not have to retune so
                    often to
                    hunt for other signals. One big problem with digital modes these days is
                    that most
                    digi ops think that their VFO must be LOCKED on 14070 or 21070 or whatever
                    and everyone crammed into 2 khz of bandwidth on top of each other -
                    spread out
                    a bit people - someone will find you.

                    If anyone has used the 300 - is there a lot of ringing? That annoys the
                    heck out
                    of me. I use the digital filtering for CW sometimes ' DBF ' but I find
                    that for CW
                    unless the signal is strong it does not work and attenuates the signal I
                    am looking
                    for - for example a weak DX station I am trying to work with all the big
                    signals up
                    1 or less constantly transmitting while the DX is transmitting ( what is
                    it with those
                    lids anyhow?? how can you hear the DX if you dont shut up and listen ) .
                    My concern is
                    that if I switch in a filter it will attenuate weak CW DX stations like
                    that too and make
                    them unreadable - so killing the purpose I got it for in the first place.

                    Message 9 of 12 , Jun 26, 2013
                      I would say that if you do like to participate in contests and busy bands then
                      you will get some benefit from an SSB filter. Of course its not magic, and if
                      guys are operating over each other it won't help. You'll also want to utilize
                      your IF shift a lot in such conditions, moving the passband around a little
                      away from the loud interfering signal. My IC-718 I used for Field Day only has
                      a spot for one filter which has a 500Hz filter in it, so I really had to use
                      the IF shift in making Field Day SSB contacts Saturday. It would have been nice
                      to have the SSB filter to help a little (use my FT-897D as my base rig and
                      don't unhook and take out unless I need VHF usually).

                      I haven't been on digital modes while trying to get up to speed finally on CW,
                      but I used to enjoy 500Hz Olivia. That is one of the most robust digital modes.
                      Once in a QSO with Australia I saw the signal disappear from the waterfall but
                      still was getting over 90% copy. A bit slow but Olivia is a great rag chew mode
                      that works through the QSB. You can also take Olivia wider along with some
                      other modes. There are also other modes that get wider including PSK.

                      Good site with sites and sounds of digital modes:
                      http://www.w1hkj.com/FldigiHelp-3.21/Modes/index.htm

                      Jason - N6WBL

                      On 06/26/2013 06:45 AM, D.J.J. Ring, Jr. wrote:
                      > Very nicely done, Carl.
                      >
                      > But to the fellow asking the question and many of us, since the FT897 comes
                      > with a SSB filter already, Your advice that "you need" is really the
                      > question!
                      >
                      > For SSB you need 2300Hz OPF-Y-SSB ($134) Useful for filtering
                      > out strong signals adjacent to the signal you want to hear. Stops the
                      > strong signal from causing the attenuation of the weaker signal that you
                      > want to hear.
                      >
                      > Do you really need the SSB 2300 Hz OPF-Y-SSB (or other) filter?
                      >
                      > I would say "No" to the SSB filter but "Yes" to the CW filter, and someone
                      > mentioned that 500 Hz filter would be best if digital modes are
                      > anticipated.
                      >
                      > As a matter of curiosity to me and probably others, which digital modes
                      > would be hurt by the selection of 300 Hz filter? Or which digital modes
                      > have a bandwidth of between 300 Hz and 500 Hz?
                      >
                      > Thanks!
                      >
                      > 73 David J. Ring, Jr., N1EA <http://www.qsl.net/n1ea/> Radio-Officers
                      > Group<http://groups.google.com/group/radio-officers?hl=en>-- Join CW email
                      > Recordings <http://tiny.cc/n1ea> *Gopher Hole:*
                      > gopher://sdf.org/1/users/djringjr/ (native or with Firefox's Overbite
                      > extension) or via http to gopher
                      > gateway<http://gopher.floodgap.com/gopher/gw?gopher://sdf.org/1/users/djringjr/>

                      *C**hat* Skype: djringjr MSN: djringjr (@) msn.com AIM: N1EA icq: 27380609

                      > =30=
                    • Chris
                      Message 10 of 12 , Jun 26, 2013
                        --- In FT897@yahoogroups.com, "Carl Wulfestieg" <ag4ls@...> wrote:

                        > Chris-
                        > It seems that there could be some confusion about the use or necessity of the "Collins Filters".
                        >
                        > Good Luck!
                        >
                        > 73 Carl WZ4CW

                        Thanks Carl. You are correct in how you describe what the filter is doing. It took it as obvious that Bill understood what the filter was doing, something that I only understand at the most basic level. What I was describing is what difference I notice between using the installed 2.4 kHz ceramic filter compared to the 2.3 kHz INRAD filter that I have. I don't really notice any difference other than what I can attribute to tone or pitch of the voice on the SSB signal. I wasn't trying to say that the filter's purpose is to alter those attributes, only that what I described is what my ears experience when switching between the two filters. I'm sure as you say that has something to do with a little more attenuation, the particular construction of the filter, or whatever.

                        73,
                        Chris