Re: [FT897] blinking battery light in an FT 897 that does NOT use an internal battery

  • Michael Lavoie
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 24, 2013
      Do we know which diode it is mine started this weekend B battery light
      blinking.

      73 N1AMD Mike
      On Jun 24, 2013 5:20 PM, "Sean Clark" <kf4iva@...> wrote:

      > **
      >

      > Hi Terry,
      >
      > It sounds like you have a leaking diode in the charging/battery system
      > that is letting a voltage get back to the battery connections from the
      > primary power connection. This would make the 897 think a battery is in
      > use and cause the front panel BATT light to blink.
      >
      > 73,
      >
      > Sean N9ATV
      >
      > ________________________________
      > Subject: [FT897] blinking battery light in an FT 897 that does NOT use an
      > internal battery
      >

      > Hi. Am new to the group, so I don't know if this has been covered. My
      > radio has developed a blinking battery light. I do NOT use (and never
      > have)an internal battery pack. My electrical source (not changed for the
      > past several years)is a power supply, that supplies (and this is unchanged)
      > a measured 14 volts. Any ideas ? Thanks.
      > Terry
      >
      > __._,_._

    • Sean Clark
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 24, 2013
        Hi Mike,

        There are 2 different "flavors" of the PA board in the FT-897 and 897D and one of the main differences is how the BATT circuit and the external DC power the radio are connected on the PA board (where the problem may be).  Fortuantly the same diode,  D3063 (BAS316) on the PA board is the same on both and would would be my 1st suspect but it would take some troubleshooting to make sure.  It is not easy to get to and you MUST make sure you have the correct part identified on your PA board.  Just don't change it till you know that is it not leaking DC voltage back to the BATT-CONN Unit.

        If it were this diode, then when you flipped the switch on the top of the radio to A position the A light would start blinking.  If it doesn't do this you have another issue.

        If you don't have experience working with SMD's or have a copy of the Technical Supplement for the version of radio you own then you shouldn't attempt the repair.  The diode is very small and requires a fine tip soldering iron, steady hand and good eyesight.....I use a magnifying glass with a built in light to see these parts when removing and replacing.

        73!

        Sean ~ N9ATV

        ________________________________
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 24, 2013
          Hi Sean Thanks yeah I have the second gen PA as I went through replacing
          D3063 with a new BAS316 on it all ready the Radio wouldn't power on and
          found it burnt literally got the scorch mark on the chassis to prove it.
          The rig had been working great it was only this weekend that it started
          blinking and it cut back to 20 watts.

          73, N1AMD Mike

          On Mon, Jun 24, 2013 at 9:25 PM, Sean Clark <kf4iva@...> wrote:

          > **
          >

          > Hi Mike,
          >
          > There are 2 different "flavors" of the PA board in the FT-897 and 897D and
          > one of the main differences is how the BATT circuit and the external DC
          > power the radio are connected on the PA board (where the problem may be).
          > Fortuantly the same diode, D3063 (BAS316) on the PA board is the same on
          > both and would would be my 1st suspect but it would take some
          > troubleshooting to make sure. It is not easy to get to and you MUST make
          > sure you have the correct part identified on your PA board. Just don't
          > change it till you know that is it not leaking DC voltage back to the
          > BATT-CONN Unit.
          >
          > If it were this diode, then when you flipped the switch on the top of the
          > radio to A position the A light would start blinking. If it doesn't do
          > this you have another issue.
          >
          > If you don't have experience working with SMD's or have a copy of the
          > Technical Supplement for the version of radio you own then you shouldn't
          > attempt the repair. The diode is very small and requires a fine tip
          > soldering iron, steady hand and good eyesight.....I use a magnifying glass
          > with a built in light to see these parts when removing and replacing.
          >
          > 73!
          >
          > Sean ~ N9ATV

          73, Michael Lavoie, N1AMD Strafford County ARES Member.