Re: GROUNDING / Hail to the Heretic!!!!

  • n5dtx
    Message 1 of 22 , Jun 20, 2013
      All hail the heretic!!!

      I love stories like this! (seriously!) It makes me feel better regarding some of the radio heresy I commit from time to time.

      Thanks for sharing Joel,

      Graham
      N5DTX

      --- In FT897@yahoogroups.com, Joel <hiqual@...> wrote:

      > On the subject of grounding and RFI - here is my experience with my
      > FT-897 and
      > grounding in my own shack.
      >
      > First off I am an Heretick - I have *no ground connection* other than
      > what exists through
      > the power plug on the wall.
    • Dennis
      Message 2 of 22 , Jun 20, 2013
        Simply put Joel, your RF ground IS NOT an electrical ground. If there
        are NO electrical connections (i.e - a ground wire from an outlet or
        breaker box to your RF ground) you ARE NOT in violation. If all that is
        tied (connected) to the RF ground are the chassis of radios and maybe
        shields of coax, there is NO ELECTRICAL CONNECTION - HENCE NO NEC
        VIOLATION - HENCE NO INSURANCE ISSUES.

        AN RF CONNECTION IS NOT AN ELECTRICAL CONNECTION!!!!

        HOWEVER, I will agree that a ground is not always necessary. If the
        antenna is placed far enough away from the shack or arranged in a way
        that RF is "pointing" away from the shack/equipment, there should be no
        issue with RF in the shack. Just like Joel, I do not use a ground and
        have no issues. This stuff is NOT rocket science, people. Just a
        little pre-planning and thinking before "JUST DOING" saves much aggravation!

        Dennis - N8BMB
        On 6/20/2013 10:52, Joel wrote:

> [...]
        > the long runs 14 ga
        > solid for the short ones.
        >
        > I run a multi band trap dipole fed with coax as well as a 60 meter loop
        > fed with 450 ohm ladder line that comes into the
        > shack. Also a 6 meter squalo and 2 VHF / UHF antennas. I tune that
        > loop for all bands 80-6 with a LDG 600pro
        > tuner - I also do that with the dipole as needed. I also use a MFJ 993
        > b on occasion. I run
        > up to 600 watts out from my amplifier with no issues on the FT897.
        > Nothing in the shack is
        > hot with RF even at high power ( now that I made those changes ).
        >
        > I have had to make sure that all my coax runs are kept separated by a
        > few inches , run neatly and
        > kept at least 8 inches away from the ladder line. I had to add ferrites
        > to USB cables to the PC that
        > I use for rig control and Digital modes. I use toroids on the CAT cable
        > to the rig.
        >
        > In the past 40 + years as a Ham, I have run from many locations in
        > Condos , Apartments and such and never had to use
        > an earth ground. I have also had multiple locations where it was
        > convenient to run a ground and did so.
        >
        > You would think that a station like mine would need a good earth ground,
        > but my experience proves otherwise.
        >
        > Net so far - 212 DXCC entities in the last 18 months ( most with 100W )
        > . 1000+ 6 meter contacts 1000+ digital contacts..
        >
        > 73
        > Joel
        > KQ0J
        >
        > On 6/19/2013 11:42 PM, Alex Netherton wrote:
        > > "Tuner instructions say tuner should be "well-grounded" to the
        > transmitter
        > > from the GROUND post on the tuner. Does "well-grounded" simply mean
        > I run
        > > any gauge/any wire between the tuner (wing nut GND) and my FT897D (GND
        > > screw)?"
        > >
        > > Ah, no. It means that your transmitter *and* tuner should be
        > grounded to a
        > > good earth ground. An earth ground is ideally a braided copper strap of
        > > about 1 inch going from the back of the rig - tuner - etc to the ground
        > > outside the shack, which is (again) ideally a 4 foot ground rod made of
        > > copper (expensive!!!) or at least copper clad steel. Even more ideally,
        > > four of them in parallel.
        > >
        > > " Balanced Line-Fed Antenna - Tuner instructions say run a jumper
        > wire from
        > > Wire post to one of the two Balance Line posts. Does that mean I
        > simply run
        > > any gauge/any wire between the Wire post and the Balance Line post?"
        > Yes,
        > > but you still need a good ground.
        > >
        > > If you can't put in a good earth ground, try routing a wire of heavy
        > gauge
        > > to something made of metal that is ultimately connected to the earth. If
        > > you live far up in an apartment, I would suggest an MFJ Artificial
        > > Ground... They work! At any rate, a ground is necessary to keep pesky RF

      • Joel
        Message 3 of 22 , Jun 20, 2013
          Thanks for the clarification!

          On 6/20/2013 4:19 PM, Dennis wrote:

          > Simply put Joel, your RF ground IS NOT an electrical ground. If there
          > are NO electrical connections (i.e - a ground wire from an outlet or
          > breaker box to your RF ground) you ARE NOT in violation. If all that is
          > tied (connected) to the RF ground are the chassis of radios and maybe
          > shields of coax, there is NO ELECTRICAL CONNECTION - HENCE NO NEC
          > VIOLATION - HENCE NO INSURANCE ISSUES.
          >
          > AN RF CONNECTION IS NOT AN ELECTRICAL CONNECTION!!!!
          >
          > HOWEVER, I will agree that a ground is not always necessary. If the
          > antenna is placed far enough away from the shack or arranged in a way
          > that RF is "pointing" away from the shack/equipment, there should be no
          > issue with RF in the shack. Just like Joel, I do not use a ground and
          > have no issues. This stuff is NOT rocket science, people. Just a
          > little pre-planning and thinking before "JUST DOING" saves much
          > aggravation!
          >
          > Dennis - N8BMB

        • Alex Netherton
          Message 4 of 22 , Jul 2, 2013
            For those who are hard nosed about grounding, I wonder about 2nd or 3rd or
            higher apartment dwellers? I think a good counterpoise can go a long way,
            and the MFJ "Artificial Ground" can work wonders.
            My $.02
            KC4BO

            --
            Alex Netherton