Re: MARS mods

  • JP
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 19, 2013
      That particular "feature" (whether or not it transmits on 144-146 only or 144-148) is controlled by one of the jumpers in that area you were working in. Most likely you left one of those little jumpers shorted but didn't mean to - probably one of three rear-most jumpers in the line of jumpers (rear-most as in closest to the rear of the radio).

      I bought a used FT-897 a couple of years ago that was all screwed up because someone had tried to mod it. I found a younger ham with good eyes, a steady hand, and the biggest magnifying glass I've ever seen and had him fix it up. Cost me an afternoon helping him put up a dipole and was well worth it.

      73s and good luck
      Jon, WB2RYV

      --- In FT897@yahoogroups.com, "wd7f" <wd7f@...> wrote:

      > Tried to do the MARS mod on the 897D and had to abandon the idea due to just too damned tiny to work on. After, we reset and made sure all the bands works and all is well, except, the radio TX Errors on 2 meters at 146.000 & above. EVERYTHING else, bands, modes, power, etc., plus 440 works fine.
    • Bill Slack
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 19, 2013
        http://www.kb2ljj.com/data/yaesu/ft-897_jumper_sheet.gif

        http://www.kb2ljj.com/data/yaesu/ft-897.htm

        That particular "feature" (whether or not it transmits on 144-146 only or 144-148) is controlled by one of the jumpers in that area you were working in. Most likely you left one of those little jumpers shorted but didn't mean to - probably one of three rear-most jumpers in the line of jumpers (rear-most as in closest to the rear of the radio).

        I bought a used FT-897 a couple of years ago that was all screwed up because someone had tried to mod it. I found a younger ham with good eyes, a steady hand, and the biggest magnifying glass I've ever seen and had him fix it up. Cost me an afternoon helping him put up a dipole and was well worth it.

        73s and good luck
        Jon, WB2RYV

        --- In FT897@yahoogroups.com, "wd7f" <wd7f@...> wrote:

        > Tried to do the MARS mod on the 897D and had to abandon the idea due to just too damned tiny to work on. After, we reset and made sure all the bands works and all is well, except, the radio TX Errors on 2 meters at 146.000 & above. EVERYTHING else, bands, modes, power, etc., plus 440 works fine.

      • Ralph Apache
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 19, 2013
          Can still work the MARS modification. I got 14ga stranded wire. Stripped it and put solder on the whole thing. Snipped off enough wire to connect the jumpers. Placed a flat tipped screwdriver for the wire to lean on. Then applied the iron to the wire. May look ugly but it works.

          Sent from my iPhone
          Respectfully,
          Ralph WH7PD