Re: [FT897] FP-30 Question

  • Henry Stoltenberg
    Message 1 of 17 , Jun 16, 2013
      I have had mine for about 2 years and I think it works great. I don’t think it raises the radio up more than a half of an inch but I never measured it, but to me it was not a significant amount.

      73

      Henry
      WDØDMO

      Message 2 of 17 , Jun 16, 2013
        The power supply works like a charm....no problems at all...it makes the
        radio about 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch taller.

        In a message dated 6/16/2013 9:02:25 A.M. Central Daylight Time,
        kb7qdi@... writes:

        Own it, love it, no change in size.
        Dean KB7QDI
        On Jun 16, 2013 8:31 AM, "we8st" <we8st@...> wrote:

        > **
        >

        > Hi, I am wondering if anyone owns the FP-30 power supply that attaches to
        > the 897D. I am planning on getting one for my rig and was wondering what
        > anyone's opinion of it is. Also was curious how much taller it makes the
        > radio when attached.
        >
        > Thanks, 73
        > Chris
        > WE8ST

      • Carl Wulfestieg
        Message 3 of 17 , Jun 16, 2013
          Chris-
          I agree with Larry and Dean that the FP-30B is very good. I have had mine for nine years with no problems. However, I do not agree on "how much taller". Even though the FP-30B fills up the "battery compartment", it also is "taller" (thicker??). It adds about 1/2 inch.
          This is important- When turning the radio ON, first switch ON the FP-30B, then switch ON the radio. When turning the radio OFF, first switch OFF the radio, then switch OFF the FP-30B. Sometimes the FT-897 gets "upset" if it isn't done in this order. Good Luck!!
          73 Carl WZ4CW SKCC 918, FISTS 13491

        • John Murphy
          Message 4 of 17 , Jun 16, 2013
            Chris,

            This just my opinion only, and not a criticism of the FP30. I prefer to use
            an external power supply because I may want to add something more to the
            station, another radio, lighted SWR meter, etc. It is my understanding that
            with the FP30 installed, one cannot use it for anything else. Again, this
            not a criticism of the power supply, only my thoughts. I have never owned an
            FP30 as I use my 897 mobile, so no need for one.

            73 de KCØJPO/AFA8JP
            John Murphy

            GMRS Licensee WQOW801

            PopComm Monitoring Station KPC0JPO
            "When all else fails...Amateur Radio"

            Colorado D27 (Adams County) ARES PIO

            AFMARS Nothwest Area, Region 8

            Owner, Oil Country Radio’s

            701-421-1134

            Business Email: <mailto:ocr58763@...> ocr58763@...

            Personal Email: <mailto:jmurphy7411@...> jmurphy7411@...

            Message 5 of 17 , Jun 16, 2013
              You could point out the price as well. You can get a very good power supply for
              less than half the price of the FP-30. So the internal power supply is one that
              appeals to someone that has limited desk/operator space and no other 12v gear
              or wants to easily take both units outside to operate from the patio or deck.

              Jason - N6WBL

              On 06/16/2013 11:08 AM, John Murphy wrote:
              > Chris,
              >

              > This just my opinion only, and not a criticism of the FP30. I prefer to use
              > an external power supply because I may want to add something more to the
              > station, another radio, lighted SWR meter, etc. It is my understanding that
              > with the FP30 installed, one cannot use it for anything else. Again, this
              > not a criticism of the power supply, only my thoughts. I have never owned an
              > FP30 as I use my 897 mobile, so no need for one.
              >

              > 73 de KCØJPO/AFA8JP
              > John Murphy
            • Dean Gibson AE7Q
              Message 6 of 17 , Jun 16, 2013
                I modified my FP-30 by:

                * unsoldering and removing the power output cable,
                * replacing it with a new 6" cable (I would now recommend about 12")
                with Anderson PowerPole connectors, and
                * adding Anderson PowerPole connectors to the pigtail end of the
                removed power output cable.

                This setup allowed me use a Rigrunner or RedDee2 power distribution
                block for adding minor accessories (eg, autotuner) in the field, or use
                the FT-897D and FP-30 connected normally.

                -- Dean

                On 2013-06-16 11:08, John Murphy wrote:

                > Chris,
                >
                > This just my opinion only, and not a criticism of the FP30. I prefer
                > to use
                > an external power supply because I may want to add something more to the
                > station, another radio, lighted SWR meter, etc. It is my understanding
                > that
                > with the FP30 installed, one cannot use it for anything else. Again, this
                > not a criticism of the power supply, only my thoughts. I have never
                > owned an
                > FP30 as I use my 897 mobile, so no need for one.

              • Butch Bussen
                Message 7 of 17 , Jun 16, 2013
                  I have one on mine, and it works fine. Makes the radio maybe a half
                  inch taller, not much.
                  73
                  Butch
                  WA0VJR
                  Node 3148
                  Wallace, ks.

                  On Sun, 16 Jun 2013, we8st wrote:

                  > Hi, I am wondering if anyone owns the FP-30 power supply that attaches to the 897D. I am planning on getting one for my rig and was wondering what anyone's opinion of it is. Also was curious how much taller it makes the radio when attached.
                  >
                  > Thanks, 73
                  > Chris
                  > WE8ST

                • WE8ST
                  Message 8 of 17 , Jun 17, 2013
                    Thanks everyone for your input. Sounds like a good investment. I have a big power supply I have been using on mine since i got the radio 2 years ago or so. Getting tired of lugging that thing around anytime I want to take it anywhere, so the power supply built in sounds like the hot tip for my needs. Will save the other supply for a bigger base station radio some day.

                    The reason I was asking how much taller it made the radio is because when I take it or store it, I have a dedicated pelican style case I put it in and just wanted to be sure it will still fit in there with the supply on there. Sounds like it should still work fine so that's great.

                    73,
                    Chris
                    WE8ST

                    Sent from my iPhone
                  • buddken@ymail.com
                    Message 9 of 17 , Jun 18, 2013
                      hi ken here,I use the fp 1030a supply for my 897,other than the clunk one gets switching on ,okayit works,regarding the clunk its the plates getting magatized by the current surging throuch the wire,,there is a circuit which slowly lets the current into the windings

                      --- In FT897@yahoogroups.com, "we8st" <we8st@...> wrote:

                      > Hi, I am wondering if anyone owns the FP-30 power supply that attaches to the 897D. I am planning on getting one for my rig and was wondering what anyone's opinion of it is. Also was curious how much taller it makes the radio when attached.
                      >
                      > Thanks, 73
                      > Chris
                      > WE8ST

                    • pascalpete
                      Message 10 of 17 , Jun 19, 2013
                        I find it very convenient and am very happy with it.

                        I recently (within the last 3 months) started running my rig from a battery with a solar panel/battery tender and charge controller attached. The nice thing is I don't have to remove the FP-30 to switch the power source. The FP-30 has a wiring harness that plugs into the radio. It is designed in such a way that the plug is accessible without having to remove the FP-30. I simply unplug that harness and plug in the harness coming from the battery. If I ever decide to take my rig to a different location where I want/need to run off of a wall plug, I just switch the plug back and I am all set.

                        As I said, I'm very happy with mine. It has been solid for 3 years, and my radio was purchased used so I don't know how long it has been in service before me.

                        73

                        Peter Lee
                        K8ACS

                        --- In FT897@yahoogroups.com, ka0scm@... wrote:

                        > The power supply works like a charm....no problems at all...it makes the
                        > radio about 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch taller.
                        >

                        > In a message dated 6/16/2013 9:02:25 A.M. Central Daylight Time,
                        > kb7qdi@... writes:
                        >
                        > Own it, love it, no change in size.
                        > Dean KB7QDI
                        > On Jun 16, 2013 8:31 AM, "we8st" <we8st@...> wrote:
                        >
                        > > **
                        > >

                        > > Hi, I am wondering if anyone owns the FP-30 power supply that attaches to
                        > > the 897D. I am planning on getting one for my rig and was wondering what
                        > > anyone's opinion of it is. Also was curious how much taller it makes the
                        > > radio when attached.
                        > >
                        > > Thanks, 73
                        > > Chris
                        > > WE8ST

                      • Mark
                        Message 11 of 17 , Jun 19, 2013
                          An extra thing I had to account for when sizing a Pelican case (1500) for my FP-30 equipped set was the power cable joining the supply to the radio. It meant creating a 1.5 inch slot in the 'pick and pluck' foam to avoid bending or stressing it, and caused the radio to be more central in the box.

                          Mark

                          --- In FT897@yahoogroups.com, "we8st" <we8st@...> wrote:

                          > Hi, I am wondering if anyone owns the FP-30 power supply that attaches to the 897D. I am planning on getting one for my rig and was wondering what anyone's opinion of it is. Also was curious how much taller it makes the radio when attached.
                          >
                          > Thanks, 73
                          > Chris
                          > WE8ST

                        • D.J.J. Ring, Jr.
                          Message 12 of 17 , Jun 19, 2013
                            I like mine because I can take it somewhere and not lose my DC supply in
                            the radio shack, pop it off and put in the batteries if I want. Nice.

                            No regrets I use it all the time with the FP30 except when I remove it to
                            use the batteries.

                            DR

                            David J. Ring, Jr., N1EA <http://www.qsl.net/n1ea/> Radio-Officers
                            Group<http://groups.google.com/group/radio-officers?hl=en>-- Join
                            Morse Recordings <http://tiny.cc/n1ea>
                            *Gopher Hole:* gopher://sdf.org/1/users/djringjr/ (native or with
                            Firefox's Overbite extension) or via http to gopher
                            gateway<http://gopher.floodgap.com/gopher/gw?gopher://sdf.org/1/users/djringjr/>
                            *C**hat* Skype: djringjr MSN: djringjr (@) msn.com AIM: N1EA icq: 27380609

                            =30=

                            On Wed, Jun 19, 2013 at 3:15 PM, pascalpete <YahooGroups@...>wrote:

                            > I find it very convenient and am very happy with it.
                            >
                            > I recently (within the last 3 months) started running my rig from a
                            > battery with a solar panel/battery tender and charge controller attached.
                            > The nice thing is I don't have to remove the FP-30 to switch the power
                            > source. The FP-30 has a wiring harness that plugs into the radio. It is
                            > designed in such a way that the plug is accessible without having to remove
                            > the FP-30. I simply unplug that harness and plug in the harness coming from
                            > the battery. If I ever decide to take my rig to a different location where
                            > I want/need to run off of a wall plug, I just switch the plug back and I am
                            > all set.
                            >
                            > As I said, I'm very happy with mine. It has been solid for 3 years, and my
                            > radio was purchased used so I don't know how long it has been in service
                            > before me.
                            >
                            > 73
                            >
                            > Peter Lee
                            > K8ACS
                            >
                            > --- In FT897@yahoogroups.com, ka0scm@... wrote:
                            > >
                            > > The power supply works like a charm....no problems at all...it makes the
                            > > radio about 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch taller.
                            > >

                            > > In a message dated 6/16/2013 9:02:25 A.M. Central Daylight Time,
                            > > kb7qdi@... writes:
                            > >
                            > > Own it, love it, no change in size.
                            > > Dean KB7QDI
                            > > On Jun 16, 2013 8:31 AM, "we8st" <we8st@...> wrote:
                            > >
                            > > > **
                            > > >

                            > > > Hi, I am wondering if anyone owns the FP-30 power supply that
                            > attaches to
                            > > > the 897D. I am planning on getting one for my rig and was wondering
                            > what
                            > > > anyone's opinion of it is. Also was curious how much taller it makes
                            > the
                            > > > radio when attached.
                            > > >
                            > > > Thanks, 73
                            > > > Chris
                            > > > WE8ST

                          • Steve Yates, AA5TB
                            Message 13 of 17 , Jun 19, 2013
                              I've used the internal FP-30 power supply for several years now. I put Anderson Power Pole DC connectors on the interconnecting power cable and when I want to run off batteries I have an external battery and solar charging system that I use. I also power my external SGC antenna coupler with it.

                              The internal batteries sound great but batteries in general don't last long unless you take good care of them and get use out of them. I was afraid that just keeping them in the rig for months until I needed to use them that they'd be in poor shape when I did need them.

                              73,
                              Steve Yates - AA5TB
                              LotW
                            • WE8ST
                              Message 14 of 17 , Jun 21, 2013
                                Thanks to everyone for their input on this topic. Ordered an fp-30 and it was delivered yesterday. So far I installed it and turned it on and seems to be workin good! Haven't had a chance to make any contacts yet. Planning to use it on field day. It's gonna be so nice not having to lug that huge power supply I was using before!

                                73 everyone
                                Chris
                                WE8ST

                                Sent from my iPhone