Re: Looking for coments on mobile antenna on balcony

  • Cor Struyk
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 16, 2013
      Hello
      Look at my site at www.pa0gtb.net/atas.html
      The story is in Dutch, but you can see how i made it work !
      I can use the Atas 120A from 70 cm - 40 meters in combination with my Ft-897D without any problems

      Greetings from Holland

      73 de Cor, PA0GTB
    • Songdisciple
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 16, 2013
        I would use a vertically polarized loop on a wall. Either exterior of the building if possible, or inside. A very small wire, trim as a 20m loop (20.1 meters or 66 feet of wire), in whatever configuration I could place it. Make it fit the dwelling. Rectangle, the shape of the state of Alaska, or cooked spaghetti. Whatever you can muster. Some pushpins or thumbtacks. 24 gauge wire. Put a 1:1 Balun at the feed point (A lower corner or side), and trim to match. Using a tuner you will make decent contacts on 40, 20, 17, 15, and 12. Not so great on 10. If you would like more info, feel free to ask. I have used these with great success. Much better than a shortened vertical with little ground. To be candid, I would make the loop as large as possible and rely on a tuner. But one tuned to 20m, gives a lot of joy. At 20 watts, I worked a round table with 9A and VK. The three of us had a ball. Although I think they enjoyed the fact that was low power on a piece of
        wire more than I did. It works. Make sure to study loops and learn about feed points vs. polarization. Build a balun, and experiment. I think you will find it rather rewarding.

        This might interest you - http://www.k2zs.com/indoor-hf-antennas

      • Songdisciple
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 16, 2013
          Correction - Sorry all, I meant a 4:1 balun. My bad.
          I use this one. Easy to put together. Ugly, but to the point.

          I have a 1:1 SWR across the entire 20 meter band. The SWR meter does not move!

          http://www.iw5edi.com/ham-radio/?how-to-make-a-high-power-4-1-balun,156

        • ken
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 16, 2013
            I have a TARHEEL ANTENNA mounted on a balcony rail in the Hostel am at at Castle Hill Sydney – the rail is part of of a heavy duty balcony railing and works on all the bands the TARHEEL operates i.e. B/c to 28mHz for the other bands I have a dedicated verticals for 2m 70cm and 23cm all on a balcony less than 3m long – it all works as well as can be expected. Even though it is only 1 floor up I can access several repeaters. On 14mhz I have worked England using 14mhz Jt65hf as well as some exotic places such as Paraguay so there is hope for va3mdw de Ken VK2AKK