Re: antenna tuner and CAT control ?

  • k5htb_de_travis
    Message 1 of 16 , Jun 13, 2013
      The 897 Plus is not pretty but it is far superior to the Yaesu tuner.

      Travis
      K5HTB

      --- In FT897@yahoogroups.com, "Gary" <ww8o@...> wrote:

      > I use a ldg 897 plus on my 897d and it has a cat plug on the tuner and it ia
      > a 10 to 1 tuner
      >
      > WW8O Gary

    • KE7HGE
      Message 2 of 16 , Jun 13, 2013
        My remedy was to put the FC 30 in the closet and buy an LDG 897; problem
        solved, and I'm happy with the results.

        Best regards, Ken/ke7hge

        I am in the same boat and from what i have read you cannot connect the FC-30
        and a CAT cable to use the rig via a computer at the same time. Unless
        someone has figured out a way of doing it?

        Cheers

        James Grove M6BXG

        --- In FT897@yahoogroups.com <mailto:FT897%40yahoogroups.com> , "kd8thg"
        <kd8thg@...> wrote:

        > I want to add a bolt-on antenna tuner to my FT-897. I'm looking at the
        Yaesu FC-30. But it seems to require a calbe to the CAT connector. Is it
        possible to use this tuner and still have CAT control?

        > If not, is there another automatic tuner that bolts on and that allows
        concurent CAT control? I'm aware of the LDG AT-897 but the packaging looks
        awkward.

      • kd8thg
        Message 3 of 16 , Jun 13, 2013
          I had not thought of using the mic jack.a splitter cable sounds like a good approach. Thanks.

          Bob KD8THG

          --- In FT897@yahoogroups.com, "zs6tvb" <tbresler@...> wrote:

          > I've put together a small doc (234kB) explaining how to make a homebrew CAT cable (with correct pinouts) for the Mic port Using a FTDI Chip USB to TTL cable but the files section for the group has no space for the file. Should anybody else be interested, feel free to mail me direct.

        • w4fjt
          Message 4 of 16 , Jun 16, 2013
            Same cow kicked me, only got the YT-100, didn't see any reason for the bolt on in the shack.

            Probably put the FC 30 on QTH when I get around to it.

            Jim, W4FJT

            --- In FT897@yahoogroups.com, "KE7HGE" <ke7hge@...> wrote:

            > My remedy was to put the FC 30 in the closet and buy an LDG 897; problem
            > solved, and I'm happy with the results.
            >

            > Best regards, Ken/ke7hge

          • Andy McCall
            Message 5 of 16 , Jul 27, 2013
              Like many I bought the FC-30 and was initially very disappointed.  It wouldn't tune my antenna on bands other than 10M as the SWR was greater than 3:1, and it had no pass through port for the CAT cable.

              I didn't get around to sending it back and I ended up making the best of the situation.  I took down the antenna I had and made a new fan dipole with legs for 6,10,12,15,17 and 20M - these were all cut to be resonant but with the interaction between the bands some bands were out, however all out but all were below 3:1, the FC-30 finishes the tuning off with no issues.

              I use the mic. port for CAT control, and the CAT port for the FC-30.   To make the cable I bought a black Ethernet cable, cut one end off and soldered a DIN socket on that would accept the existing CAT cable I had.  Menu 59, MIC SEL needs to be set to CAT and Menu 19, CAT RATE needs to be set to 4800bps.  I believe you can make a Y splitter that will work with both the CAT and a Mic that doesn't need the RMT setting on Menu 59:

              http://www.kg6npb.com/?page_id=87

              I haven't got around to it yet, but probably will.

              I'm now very happy with the set up and use it for WSPR and other digital modes. The CAT pass through is still a flaw, but as a tuner the FC-30 does its job.  If the FC-30 can't tune your antenna, maybe you need to look at your antenna a little more :)

              Thanks,

              Andy, 2E0MLL