Re: [FT897] LDG AT-897 Tuner problem

  • John Brennan
    Message 1 of 13 , May 26 10:19 PM
      HF and 6 metres are on one connector which takes pl259 and vhf and uhf are on the other which is an N connector.

    • kermitdfrog512
      Message 2 of 13 , May 26 11:06 PM
        Hi John,

        I run horizontal loops (about 40 feet above ground) here at my QTH (an 80m and a 20m hanging concentrically inside the 80).

        If Im switched to the 20m loop, go to 50.125 and hit the tune, it clatters for a bit, then blinks once.
        I DEFINITELY dont have the same problem as you, because here in my neighborhood, I get S7+ QRM constant!

        Only the strong survive (getting back to me), but I have had people relay that my signal is making it out much further than I can hear.

        So yes, it DOES work on 6, at least on the SSB calling freq here.
        Something might be flaky with yours?

        When it is out of tune (say tuned up for 14.250), I hear nothing, and the S meter is dead until I punch the button.

        73
        Jim
        K5KTF

        --- In FT897@yahoogroups.com, John Brennan <jaybee95@...> wrote:

        > Hi Guys.
        > The antenna is resonant and the swr is 1.5:1 to 1.7:1 depending on frequency within the band. I am very aware about antennas being resonant as I have been licenced for more than 30 years and have built many antennas. I am not too worried that it does not tune 6mx, I was just puzzled as to why it deafens the rx if I try to tune 6. LDG told me to continue what I am doing, just click it out of line., Quite useable without the tuner. The tuner works great on HF. All settings on the 897 are correct. I appreciate all your feedback guys, Thank you. The 897 is a great radio.
        > 73, John. VK3BNE.

      • dmaley88
        Message 3 of 13 , May 27 9:00 AM
          John;
          I had a similar issue with my 897 on 6meters. I ended up opening up the tuner and found the jumper wires going from the rear connectors to the PC board way too long and then folded over. This created an inductance that was big enough to cause an issue only on 6 meters. I shortened the wires. Problem solved.
          Dave..

          --- In FT897@yahoogroups.com, John Brennan <jaybee95@...> wrote:

          > Hi Guys.
          > The antenna is resonant and the swr is 1.5:1 to 1.7:1 depending on frequency within the band. I am very aware about antennas being resonant as I have been licenced for more than 30 years and have built many antennas. I am not too worried that it does not tune 6mx, I was just puzzled as to why it deafens the rx if I try to tune 6. LDG told me to continue what I am doing, just click it out of line., Quite useable without the tuner. The tuner works great on HF. All settings on the 897 are correct. I appreciate all your feedback guys, Thank you. The 897 is a great radio.
          > 73, John. VK3BNE.

        • John Brennan
          Message 4 of 13 , May 27 10:19 AM
            Thank you Dave, I will take a look at that asap.
            73, John.

          • k5htb_de_travis
            Message 5 of 13 , May 27 10:27 AM
              Both take pl259 on my rig. Perhaps the Euro rigs use N connectors but not those sold in U.S.

              Travis
              K5HTB

              --- In FT897@yahoogroups.com, John Brennan <jaybee95@...> wrote:

              > HF and 6 metres are on one connector which takes pl259 and vhf and uhf are on the other which is an N connector.

            • John Murphy
              Message 6 of 13 , May 27 12:54 PM
                As do mine. (Both PL259)

                73 de KCØJPO/AFA8JP