Strange behavior and 60m

  • Jason Turning
    Message 1 of 2 , May 21, 2013
      FYI,

      I had my mode and band mode buttons go non-responsive on my FT-897D. I did a
      reset which was a mistake as it didn't fix the issue. But I then just unplugged
      the power cord for a few moments and then plugged it back in and all was
      working fine. So before doing a reset try removing the power cord and then
      plugging it back.

      On the positive I booted into XP and fired up the RT Systems software and
      updated it which allowed me to fix my 60m channel and change the mode on three
      channels to CW along with restoring memories and some settings. I think after I
      upgrade this PC's version of Linux I'll give CHIRP another try as it would be
      nice to change mode which I think that allows after updating. Are there any
      particular 60m channels people are using CW on?

      Jason - N6WBL
    • Joel
      Message 2 of 2 , May 22, 2013
        Even with Chirp, you can only set one mode per channel and have to
        change the
        mode via Chirp, not the radio controls. I still think of 60M as a USB
        band like it started
        so thats not a big problem with me I only occasionally switch to CW for
        DX ( My best is Norway )
        or when asked to give someone my state on PSK.

        The proposed band usage plan is for CW / Digital users to start on / use
        channel 1.

        If that is busy, then go to 2, then 3 etc. 5 is the DX freq , when DX is
        possible. Also
        some DX stations work split on CW - they xmit on non US frequencies and
        listen on Ch 5
        for US stations. There is really not a lot of DX on 60 relative to other
        bands because most countries do not allow its use.

        That being said, I did hear a lot of CW on channel 3 this past winter,
        there was even a net there sometimes during
        the day.

        Please do not be like the CW LIDS that are on 60 that ignore the simple
        fact that these are
        Channels and ONE QSO PER CHANNEL. If you hear people on SSB in a QSO
        please don't QRM them by
        coming in and calling CQ on top of them , you are not inaudible, many
        QSO's on 60M are using fairly weak signals due to the low power limits (
        100 W ERP ) . Too many CW ops on 60 can not figure that out or just
        dont care about polite operating practice.

        CW / Digital must be in the exact middle of the channel.

        Remember the power limit is 100W ERP relative to a dipole. You must
        understand the gain of your
        specific antenna on 60M to stay within legal limits. For example I use
        a 60 Meter full wave loop - it
        has gain over a 60 M dipole - I can not legally run 100W output on CW.

        I usually hear the West coast US stations on Ch 1 and 2 SSB FYI. The
        band becomes more active
        in the late fall through spring when the static from storms starts up
        again - its a really noisy band. In
        the fall / winter the band is most active in the late afternoon through
        about 9PM local. There is some
        morning activity in the great lakes states and east / southeast in the
        AM - roundtables etc.

        The NATA WAS net used to fire up once a week on CH4 Thursdays I think
        to try to manufacture
        their contacts.

        Have fun.

        joel

        On 5/22/2013 12:22 AM, Jason Turning wrote:

        > FYI,
        >
        > I had my mode and band mode buttons go non-responsive on my FT-897D. I
        > did a
        > reset which was a mistake as it didn't fix the issue. But I then just
        > unplugged
        > the power cord for a few moments and then plugged it back in and all was
        > working fine. So before doing a reset try removing the power cord and then
        > plugging it back.
        >
        > On the positive I booted into XP and fired up the RT Systems software and
        > updated it which allowed me to fix my 60m channel and change the mode
        > on three
        > channels to CW along with restoring memories and some settings. I
        > think after I
        > upgrade this PC's version of Linux I'll give CHIRP another try as it
        > would be
        > nice to change mode which I think that allows after updating. Are
        > there any
        > particular 60m channels people are using CW on?
        >
        > Jason - N6WBL
        >

        > No virus found in this message.

        KQØJ