Re: [FT897] Re: Familiarlty with the SuperAntenna MP1D?

  • Alex Netherton
    Message 1 of 7 , May 18, 2013
      I do agree with you, that a ham station can utilize many tools;
      oscilloscope, antenna analyzer, grid dip meter, and many many more.
      Unfortunately, I have always lived at the ragged edge of being broke, and
      have managed to live a fairly long and happy life that way. I have only
      ever had the $$$ to spend on the basics, a rig, a home made antenna, and
      little else. Getting on the air has never been a problem for me, and I have
      never been able to go the "whole hog" and buy all the tools many others
      have.

      I think we have to teach young and broke hams to "make do". Many an "old
      timer" built breadboarded rigs without any test equipment, and had good
      signals. I have even seen some of these "homebrew" rigs.

      I think an antenna analyzer is a fine tool, I just cannot afford one. If
      you can, you will likely have a far better signal than mine. Of course,
      that is not hard to do (hihi!)

      KC4BO

      On Sat, May 18, 2013 at 11:00 AM, n2znc <burbanog@...> wrote:

      > **
      >

      > Partially correct if you want to risk your radio. Antenna analyzers do
      > more than simply tell you the swr on an antenna. If there is a problem with
      > your antenna, you wont really know, unless you happen to see the power
      > output decrease on your radio. Since most modern radios will automatically
      > cut power down when there is a significant mismatch.
      > The 950 has a nice built-in tuner, but there are limitations to it and a
      > wide range tuner is always better to protect your radio. An analyzer is
      > great for those of us that like to built antennas, especially when you
      > start messing with complicated beams.
      >
      > So its a tool, just like a multimeter or any other tool. Personally its
      > another tool that should be part of your arsenal and learning how to use it
      > is a great thing.
      >
      > Also measuring power output and swr using the radio meter isnt very
      > accurate at all. Just like using the radio voltage meter isnt accurate
      > either.
      >
      > George
      >
      > --- In FT897@yahoogroups.com, Alex Netherton <anetherton@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > I see antenna analyzers as an unnecessary cost, as I have for most of my
      > > life been chronically short of funds. A properly designed antenna should
      > > work acceptably without analysis IMHO.
      > > I got my 950 a week ago, threw up a wire, and have been making dozens of
      > > contacts since.
      > > Just get on the air and tune for lowest SWR.
      > >
      > > KC4BO
      > > On May 14, 2013 5:35 PM, "ericbnyc" <ericbnyc@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > > **
      > > >

      > > > Is anyone familiar with the Superantenna Mp1d with the 897D in a mobile
      > > > scenario? It was recommended to me by a salesperson at Ham Radio
      > Outlet as
      > > > a good cross between function and cost. I've seen some eham.comcomments
      > > > and a couple of Youtube videos and it looks like an acceptable starter
      > > > antenna for me. I would be buying it with hope of being able to use it
      > > > without nece3ssarily buying an antenna analyzer just yet - I'm trying
      > > > split up some of the purchases of a first rig into a couple of
      > different
      > > > months to spread out the expenses.

      Alex Netherton
      http://blueridgediscovery.com