Re: [FT897] Re: A radio in the hand... FT897D vs. KX3

  • ka9p
    Message 1 of 38 , May 13, 2013
      I'll second that!  I've dragged mine all over, to a lot of beaches especially, it's never given me a bit of trouble, and it's still on it's original set of batteries, which give me 4 -6 hours of contest-type operation most days.

      It's a radio that does darn near everything pretty well.

      The KX3 looks way cooler....but if you're buying it for back up comms, it's an easy call.

      73 Scott

      From: "Mike Parker" <michael@...>
      Subject: [FT897] Re: A radio in the hand... FT897D vs. KX3
      Date: July 8, 2012 4:54:27 AM CDT
      To: FT897@yahoogroups.com
      For communication when all else fails? Mmm 897 over the KX3 anyday.

      Mike
      M0SAZ

      http://www.g4zlp.co.uk/index.shtml

      http://trac.chirp.danplanet.com/chirp_daily/daily-20120706/%c2%a0There are
      > files there for Windows, Mac, and Linux. Pick the one you need.

      > Also a program like CHIRP makes setting up the memories so much easier. In
      > fact CHIRP allows you to query databases of local repeaters and you can
      > just upload them after you edit out the ones you don't want (CHIRP uploads
      > the whole state which can be more the 200 memories!). All the PL tones and
      > offsets are already done for you.

      > 73

      > David Ring
      > N1EA

      > David J. Ring, Jr., N1EA <http://www.qsl.net/n1ea/> Radio-Officers
      > Group<http://groups.google.com/group/radio-officers?hl=en>-- Join
      > Morse Recordings <http://archive.org/search.php?query=n1ea>
      > *Gopher Hole:* gopher://sdf.org/1/users/djringjr/ (native or with
      > Firefox's Overbite extension) or via http to gopher
      > gateway<http://gopher.floodgap.com/gopher/gw?gopher://sdf.org/1/users/djringjr/>
      > *C**hat* Skype: djringjr MSN: djringjr@... AIM: N1EA icq: 27380609

      > =30=

      > On Sun, Jul 8, 2012 at 12:53 AM, John <timothy_curtiss@...> wrote:

      > > To answer your questions:
      > >
      > > I am a General as of 05-27-12, previously obtained my first license as
      > > Technician on 03/06/2012. As I don't know CW I will be operating mostly on
      > > phone, and I am not into the data modes yet.
      > >
      > > Although portability is a must, I also want to use the unit as a base
      > > station. Despite suggestions from some here that I simply buy both radios,
      > > I have a budget for one only. Therefore the lack of the KXPA100 amp is a
      > > factor.
      > >
      > > Now my next statement is going to make some people uncomfortable and
      > > perhaps cause controversy, but my primary purpose of getting into amateur
      > > radio at age 54 is because I and people with the same concerns as myself
      > > feel we need an alternative means of communication in the event that the
      > > internet and cell communications are no longer available because of a
      > > catastrophic economic or political collapse.
      > >
      > > Tim
      > > KC5DCT
      > > www.dallascitytroop.org
      > >
      > > --- In FT897@yahoogroups.com, "John Murphy" <jmurphy7411@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Let me ask this: Why did you get into ham radio? That should determine
      > > the use of the radio and the particular radio you should get.
      > > >

      > > > I got into it for emergency services, therefore I went with the 897
      > > mounted mobile in my vehicle. Just my opinion and thoughts

> [...]

    • Deuel Group
      Message 38 of 38 , May 14, 2013
        Have to say-I was in exactly the same quandary for a couple months. I've upgraded from tech, to general, to extra this year, and I really want to get into HF.

        I love the cool factor of the KX3 and the SDR angle, but at the end of the day, I'm really leaning toward the 897. If the SHTF, I'm going to want 100w. For SAR deployments, the 2m coverage is a huge plus. I'll send it out for the DSP mod and end up with a grab & go radio with serious capabilities.

        If I ever move forward with the notion of minimalist SOTA activating, I can either revisit the KX3, or go with an 817...

        By the way-Group member Pete Harris' Grand Canyon and Buddipole write ups were big factors in my decision. Hoping to pull the trigger in June

        Jeff
        K1XXX