Re: Not recommended for EMCOMM use

  • n2znc
    Message 1 of 31 , May 11, 2013
      Yeah every time someone says they have a problem with the radio, I have found that in 99% of the times it's user errors...

      We use the 897d in the field all the time and it's constantly sitting in my truck. I use it with the ldg tuner and a Mac with a serial to USB converter for logging and with the rig runner on a pc for cat control. Constantly between repeaters ad HF as well as for data and aprs, never had a problem with it in any configuration.

      George
      --- In FT897@yahoogroups.com, "n8kpa" <kn8a@...> wrote:

      > Same here. I have had an 897d as my sole shack rig for six years, and am trustee for my club's four repeaters (Chelsea ARC - WD8IEL), three of which use tones. I use CAT continuously to control the rig and tuner. Never had a problem in any configuration.
      >
      > I'm also AEC for my county (Washtenaw, MI) and we use a number of 897s of different vintages for our ARES/RACES jump kits. We rely on CTCSS for both TX and RX there, and rely on CAT for rig control. No issues there either.
      >
      > 73,
      > kn8a Jeff
      >
      > --- In FT897@yahoogroups.com, "kc9jwo@" <kc9jwo@> wrote:
      > >

      > > I guess that I will be the first to ask. Is it the radio or your set up that is the problem. I work FM and HF as a portable station and have never had a problem with the radio(except for operator error). Personnally I use the LDG AT-897, and a West Mountian Radio Rig Blaster plug & play. Since the Rig Blaster uses the data port and not the Cat port there is no problem.
      > >

      > > Alan Weber
      > > KC9JWO
      > >
      > > --- In FT897@yahoogroups.com, Ed G <huckleberryed@> wrote:
      > > >

      > > > After discovering the design deficiency in all FT-897D radios whereby the TX CTCSS will malfunction when a CAT cable of any sort is plugged in to the CAT jack, we have determined that the FT-897D radio should not be recommended for EMCOMM use where the operators would be wanting to use FM voice intermingled with HF and digital use. Every time one would need to switch between any type of operation requiring something be plugged into the CAT jack and FM voice, one would need to plug or unplug the associated device from the CAT jack for each change. In our case we have both an LDG YT-100 tuner AND an SCS PTCIIIusb modem that need be connected to the radio’s CAT jack. Quite a hassle and not desirable for EMCOMM use. It is surprising that Yaesu has gone all these years aware of the problem but never addressed it.
      > > >

      > > > Ed K7AAT

    • Craig
      Message 31 of 31 , May 17, 2013
        I am not sure that it is a design deficiency of the 897. I think it is a deficiency of the stuff hanging off the back of it. I just used an FT857 in an exercise with a bluetooth interface on the CAT port built as a dongle and a MH59 mic. I used my Android tablet to control the radio. I had zero issue with CTCSS tone frequency shift using the radio over three days. We used it on FM, LSB on 40 Meters and to monitor VFIRE21.