Re: Suggestion for a decent Headset for FT-897D

  • jamespgrove
    Message 1 of 13 , May 8, 2013
      Hi Doug,

      I use some Philips SHL3000 Headphones. I am unsure which part of the world you are in, but in the UK they are available from Argos for 15 UK Pounds.

      Cheers

      Jim M6BXG

    • barramunda@juno.com
      Message 2 of 13 , May 8, 2013
        I am presently using an Auvio wireless stereo head set with a 1/8" stereo jack to !/4" mono plug adapter. I get very good quality plus being able to walk almost anywhere on my 3/4 acre property and still hear clearly.Walt - W2EVU Walter J. Stauffer
        7532 North Ontario St.
        Sodus Point, NY 14555
        Tel. 315.483.4190

        Would anyone have a suggestion for a reasonably priced (and quality) headset to use on my FT-897D?

        Your comments would be appreciated.

        Thx, Doug! va3mdw

      • Ralph Apache
        Message 3 of 13 , May 8, 2013
          Try the Yamaha 500

          Sent from my iPhone
          Respectfully,
          Ralph Miranda WH7PD

        • Joel
          Message 4 of 13 , May 8, 2013
            I use Sony MDR-ZX100 from Best buy. Under $30. Very comfortable.

            On 5/8/2013 11:28 AM, Ralph Apache wrote:

            > Try the Yamaha 500
            >
            > Sent from my iPhone
            > Respectfully,
            > Ralph Miranda WH7PD

            > No virus found in this message.

            KQØJ

            Message 5 of 13 , May 8, 2013
              (quality)

              David Clark H10-36

              Fernando N2FQ/6
              n2fq@...

              On May 8, 2013, at 2:26 AM, va3mdw <murray.dw@...> wrote:

              > Hi All,
              >
              > Would anyone have a suggestion for a reasonably priced (and quality) headset to use on my FT-897D?
              >
              > Your comments would be appreciated.
              >
              > Thx, Doug! va3mdw

            • D.J.J. Ring, Jr.
              Message 6 of 13 , May 8, 2013
                Hello Doug,

                There was an article in QST last year about people who need a very loud
                headset for using with a special MFJ headset amplifer for those people hard
                of hearing and they recommended the
                Sennheiser HD 280 Pro - headphones

                For what it is worth!

                I think they cost more but the author said they get very loud or could get
                loud!

                73

                David N1EA

              • D.J.J. Ring, Jr.
                Message 7 of 13 , May 8, 2013
                  Is there a better model number than 500?

                  All I see is the 500 Pro headsets for $400 the pair.
                  http://www.rakuten.com/prod/yamaha-high-fidelity-premium-over-ear-headphones-stereo-piano-black/240529169.html?listingId=238536716

                  73

                  DR

                  On Wed, May 8, 2013 at 12:28 PM, Ralph Apache <apache007@...> wrote:

                  > Try the Yamaha 500
                  >
                  > Sent from my iPhone
                  > Respectfully,
                  > Ralph Miranda WH7PD

                • Rick Johnson
                  Message 8 of 13 , May 8, 2013
                    It's a CM500...
                    73,Rick W3BI

                    To: FT897@yahoogroups.com
                    From: n1ea@...
                    Date: Wed, 8 May 2013 15:04:49 -0400
                    Subject: Re: [FT897] Re: Suggestion for a decent Headset for FT-897D

                    Is there a better model number than 500?

                    All I see is the 500 Pro headsets for $400 the pair.

                    http://www.rakuten.com/prod/yamaha-high-fidelity-premium-over-ear-headphones-stereo-piano-black/240529169.html?listingId=238536716

                    73

                    DR

                    On Wed, May 8, 2013 at 12:28 PM, Ralph Apache <apache007@...> wrote:

                    > Try the Yamaha 500

                    > Sent from my iPhone

                    > Respectfully,

                    > Ralph Miranda WH7PD

                  • D.J.J. Ring, Jr.
                    Message 9 of 13 , May 8, 2013
                      These only handle 100 mw by Behringer which has excellent audio products at
                      insanely low prices
                      http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/275637-REG/Behringer_HPX2000_HPX2000_High_Definition_DJ_Headphones.html
                      73
                      David J. Ring, Jr., N1EA <http://www.qsl.net/n1ea/> Radio-Officers
                      Group<http://groups.google.com/group/radio-officers?hl=en>-- Join
                      Morse Recordings <http://tiny.cc/n1ea>
                      *Gopher Hole:* gopher://sdf.org/1/users/djringjr/ (native or with
                      Firefox's Overbite extension) or via http to gopher
                      gateway<http://gopher.floodgap.com/gopher/gw?gopher://sdf.org/1/users/djringjr/>
                      *C**hat* Skype: djringjr MSN: djringjr (@) msn.com AIM: N1EA icq: 27380609

                      =30=

                      On Wed, May 8, 2013 at 12:43 PM, Joel <hiqual@...> wrote:

                      > I use Sony MDR-ZX100 from Best buy. Under $30. Very comfortable.
                      >

                      > On 5/8/2013 11:28 AM, Ralph Apache wrote:
                      > >
                      > > Try the Yamaha 500
                      > >
                      > > Sent from my iPhone
                      > > Respectfully,
                      > > Ralph Miranda WH7PD

                      > > No virus found in this message.
                      > >

                      > --
                      > KQØJ

                    • john g8xgs
                      Message 10 of 13 , May 8, 2013
                        can we just clarify what you mean by "headset" presumably you mean with
                        "boom mic" in which case as suggested second hand dave clark, peltor there
                        are loads on ebay depends on your price bracket there are also many computer
                        headset s that will work with the addition of phantom power

                        Regards

                        G8XGS, john hindmarsh

                        GEM voip: 50189 Home: +441912645128 Cell: +4407702019815

                        file:///C:/Users/g8xgs/Documents/GemFooter_files/GemMail.png

                        GEM

                        Global Emergency Communication

                        Providing Global Emergency Communications during Disasters

                        www.gem-int.org

                      • Fernando
                        Message 11 of 13 , May 8, 2013
                          Hello

                          I use a high impedance to 8 ohm transformer (Radio Shack 273-1380)

                          for the headphones. Don't use the mic.

                          Also, some hams cut off the cable end and fit the regular

                          ham connectors according to their rig requirement.

                          I chose to use the correct female panel (aviation) connector in a mini box

                          and then break out to whatever rig's connection needed.

                          A nice write up in the 2013 ARRL Handbook ("Adapting Aviation Headsets

                          to Ham Radios"). And some hams remove the innards and use Heil stuff.

                          Fernando N2FQ/6
                          n2fq@...

                          On May 8, 2013, at 10:24 AM, Fernando <n2fq@...> wrote:

                          > (quality)
                          >
                          > David Clark H10-36
                          >

                          > Fernando N2FQ/6
                          > n2fq@...
                          >

                          > On May 8, 2013, at 2:26 AM, va3mdw <murray.dw@...> wrote:
                          >
                          >> Hi All,
                          >>
                          >> Would anyone have a suggestion for a reasonably priced (and quality) headset to use on my FT-897D?
                          >>
                          >> Your comments would be appreciated.
                          >>
                          >> Thx, Doug! va3mdw

                        • w9kxi
                          Message 12 of 13 , May 9, 2013
                            I've tried four different on 3 radios. A Heil ProSet Plus; a Yamaha CM500; a Sennheiser PC350 and a highly modified David Clark H10-76 (microphone modifed with a HC-4 element and new speakers). The Yamaha CM500 was by far the best value. It is light weight and comfortable. The audio has "punch", it is, like the Heil HC-4, not pretty but it is clear - delivering more of the "hi's".

                            Al - W9KXI